Page 161 of 360 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171211261 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 5394

Thread: Latest orders!

If it's not too cheeky to ask Balakin, how much was The Rocketeer deluxe?
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    If it's not too cheeky to ask Balakin, how much was The Rocketeer deluxe?
    Not at all. It was £ 29.7 through flubit fulfilled by wordery but took them a week to despatch. Was looking for a good deal on this for almos two years but found nothing under £30

Quote Originally Posted by sax View Post
    Very nice !

Where did you get the SS MMW volumes ?
    Were they costly ?
    Thanks! It's from an eBay auction and they were £26 and £27.5 with me being the only bidder on v1. I was the only bidder on F4 v1 too. Lucky month.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Not at all. It was £ 29.7 through flubit fulfilled by wordery but took them a week to despatch. Was looking for a good deal on this for almos two years but found nothing under £30
    Thanks. I'd like to get into The Rocketeer and that deluxe seems like the best place to start. I'm aiming to read some of The Shadow first though.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I used two different Barnes & Noble codes and got the Champions MMW and the GotG Classic Solo Omni.
    Now to just pray to the packing & shipping gods cause I've had mixed results with B&N the times I've dared use them.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Thanks. I'd like to get into The Rocketeer and that deluxe seems like the best place to start. I'm aiming to read some of The Shadow first though.
    The Shadow is really lacking any proper collections and I've found the new ongoings quite lackluster, except the ones written by Wagner. Yes, even the Ennis one that started it but I've read it monthly when it came out years ago, need to reread it. Might gonna like it more this time.
    Year one is great though, Grendel vs the Shadow too.
    Dynamite did some somewhat overpriced thin paperbacks collecting older material from Sienkiewicz and other but haven't read them because of the format and pricing. They are probably quite good though.

What I remember of the original Dave stevens Rocketeer it is a bit different from the movie, the characters are not as lovable and the pacing is very different to a movie pacing. Need to reread it soon. There is also a hc and a tpb of the original Stevens series, recoloured just like the deluxe but with less extras (the deluxe has like 100pgs of extras).
    Really enjoyed Waid's Cargo of Doom, great follow up to the original. Started the Spirit team up and Hollywood horror too but didn't realy work for me. Avoiding Rocketeer at war like the plague because Guggenheim is writing it.

I would also highly recommend reading some Doc Savage (like the Dynamite Archives ohc), he plays into the Rocketeer as well, not just the Shadow.

oh also, if you are into podcasts or just radioplays or things like that you should give the original Shadow radioplays a go. They are available for free, legally I think and most of the the first season is great fun and The Shadow is voiced by Orson Welles!

The Shadow is really lacking any proper collections and I've found the new ongoings quite lackluster, except the ones written by Wagner. Yes, even the Ennis one that started it but I've read it monthly when it came out years ago, need to reread it. Might gonna like it more this time.
    Year one is great though, Grendel vs the Shadow too.
    Dynamite did some somewhat overpriced thin paperbacks collecting older material from Sienkiewicz and other but haven't read them because of the format and pricing. They are probably quite good though.

What I remember of the original Dave stevens Rocketeer it is a bit different from the movie, the characters are not as lovable and the pacing is very different to a movie pacing. Need to reread it soon. There is also a hc and a tpb of the original Stevens series, recoloured just like the deluxe but with less extras (the deluxe has like 100pgs of extras).
    Really enjoyed Waid's Cargo of Doom, great follow up to the original. Started the Spirit team up and Hollywood horror too but didn't realy work for me. Avoiding Rocketeer at war like the plague because Guggenheim is writing it.

I would also highly recommend reading some Doc Savage (like the Dynamite Archives ohc), he plays into the Rocketeer as well, not just the Shadow.

oh also, if you are into podcasts or just radioplays or things like that you should give the original Shadow radioplays a go. They are available for free, legally I think and most of the the first season is great fun and The Shadow is voiced by Orson Welles!
    Thanks for all the info there. I've been trying to read up on The Shadow and work out where the best place to start is. Would you recommend starting with Year One? Or does it read better after reading the other volumes first?

I might get the HC of the original Rocketeer series rather than pay extra for the deluxe. I'm not into the extras in books that much.

I really want to get into the pulp stuff as I want something different to read from modern superhero stuff. I thought The Shadow and The Spirit would be the best places to start but I'll definitely take a look at Doc Savage. Where would you say Green Hornet ranks?

I have listened to radioplays (mainly comedy) so I'll find The Shadow ones. Cheers!
    Last edited by FluffySheep; 09-06-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks for all the info there. I've been trying to read up on The Shadow and work out where the best place to start is. Would you recommend starting with Year One? Or does it read better after reading the other volumes first?

I might get the HC of the original Rocketeer series rather than pay extra for the deluxe. I'm not into the extras in books that much.

I really want to get into the pulp stuff as I want something different to read from modern superhero stuff. I thought The Shadow and The Spirit would be the best places to start but I'll definitely take a look at Doc Savage. Where would you say Green Hornet ranks?

I have listened to radioplays (mainly comedy) so I'll find The Shadow ones. Cheers!
    Green Hornet for me personally ranks as an interesting premise but sometimes poor execution. The Kevin Smith and Mark Waid series wasn't bad but, surprise, Wagner's year one was probably the best of the bunch. Wagner has a great handle on the pulp material, his Zorro, GH and Shadow stories are great reads and I would encourage you to read Sandman mystery theatre too, grounded and realistic take on a classic pulp/superhero concept (honestly, Wesley Dodds' Sandman is more pulp than superhero).

Speaking of Zorro, there is an oversized Alex Toth tpb, haven't read it yet, bought it because Toth is awesome and I always loved Zorro.

Shadow year one is a great place to start. Oneill and Kaluta's Hitler's astronomer is good as well, although felt like a story in the middle of a long run than a standalone GN for me. Unfortunately the hc is quite thin but at least oversized.

My history with the Shadow started with the movie then radioseries and tried the various Dynamite series, Y1 being the only one I liked and now the Grendel vs Shadow. There is anther Wagner hc coming out this year, can't wait.

Doc Savage is just as classic as the Shadow and the Dynamite Archives collects a great bronze age Marvel run written by Doug Moench and art by Buscema and DeZuniga (in black and white like their 70's Conan stuff). I pretty sure it was a tie in to the movie but the comics are MUCH better. Wouldn't really recommend the movie, it's a weird combination of silly and serious.

On the other hand the Shadow movie is quite good and I also really enjoy the Billy Zane Phantom movie. The Phantom is another big classic pulp character but can't give you the best advice on it, since I only read one of the silver age hc reprints (have 6 of them though) and none of the original Falk strips. Also read something from Darwyn Cooke years ago which I remember liking.
    Same with the Spirit except the movie sucks big time, only read the Cooke stuff which is great but didn't really read the post war Eisner stories which are supposed to be the best (wasn't really impressed with the pre war stuff).

If you like daily and Sunday strips you might want to try Dick Tracy, Raymond's Flash Gordon and the various Tarzan strips. That's all I can think of now. In the Omnibus collector facebook group there are some people with great knowledge of older material if you want to seek out more advice.

Green Hornet for me personally ranks as an interesting premise but sometimes poor execution. The Kevin Smith and Mark Waid series wasn't bad but, surprise, Wagner's year one was probably the best of the bunch. Wagner has a great handle on the pulp material, his Zorro, GH and Shadow stories are great reads and I would encourage you to read Sandman mystery theatre too, grounded and realistic take on a classic pulp/superhero concept (honestly, Wesley Dodds' Sandman is more pulp than superhero).

Speaking of Zorro, there is an oversized Alex Toth tpb, haven't read it yet, bought it because Toth is awesome and I always loved Zorro.

Shadow year one is a great place to start. Oneill and Kaluta's Hitler's astronomer is good as well, although felt like a story in the middle of a long run than a standalone GN for me. Unfortunately the hc is quite thin but at least oversized.

My history with the Shadow started with the movie then radioseries and tried the various Dynamite series, Y1 being the only one I liked and now the Grendel vs Shadow. There is anther Wagner hc coming out this year, can't wait.

Doc Savage is just as classic as the Shadow and the Dynamite Archives collects a great bronze age Marvel run written by Doug Moench and art by Buscema and DeZuniga (in black and white like their 70's Conan stuff). I pretty sure it was a tie in to the movie but the comics are MUCH better. Wouldn't really recommend the movie, it's a weird combination of silly and serious.

On the other hand the Shadow movie is quite good and I also really enjoy the Billy Zane Phantom movie. The Phantom is another big classic pulp character but can't give you the best advice on it, since I only read one of the silver age hc reprints (have 6 of them though) and none of the original Falk strips. Also read something from Darwyn Cooke years ago which I remember liking.
    Same with the Spirit except the movie sucks big time, only read the Cooke stuff which is great but didn't really read the post war Eisner stories which are supposed to be the best (wasn't really impressed with the pre war stuff).

If you like daily and Sunday strips you might want to try Dick Tracy, Raymond's Flash Gordon and the various Tarzan strips. That's all I can think of now. In the Omnibus collector facebook group there are some people with great knowledge of older material if you want to seek out more advice.
    The only Matt Wagner stuff I've read so far is some of his Batman and I did like that. I'll take your advice and go for The Shadow Year One first. Sandman Mystery Theatre has always been something I've looked at but just never bought, so I'll add that to my wishlist.

I read a little bit of The Phantom when I picked up the Free Comic Book Day issue from last year. It was ok but I prefer the setting to be in a city with the criminal underworld, seedy bars, dark alleyways, abandoned warehouses etc.

It's been a long time since I've seen The Shadow Movie. No doubt I'll seek it out after reading Year One!

Not wanting to derail this thread too much though, so my latest order was The Sleeper Omnibus

BANNED

Thanks! I knew about them but was hesitant because it's SA and they are rehashed stories from the monthlies but:
    1. no way I will get lots of SA Superman or GA WW so this is a quality sampling I think
    2. these are still done by the great artists who worked on the monthlies so quality guaranteed
    3. I take IDW-LoAC quality over DC's any day
    4. These 3 and the Infinity ohc was 50.5 quid from amazon.it. Couldn't pass that deal.

There are also 2 Batman Silver age dailies (you can easily find videos about them, couldn't find any about the Superman dailies) and multiple Superman Sundays volumes.
    Silver Age... i don't know if i want to try the era's Superman and Batman... they are mostly campy, silly stories as far as i know... i have sampled some... and batman and superman were playing wheel of fortune at one story when robin and jimmy spied on them from their secret base or something... i was like WTF just i read lol but i still kind of want the golden age Batman omni cause it's Batman even if i probably will not like the stories... i kind of want it under my hand but still did not pull the triger...i'm kind of torn.

You really got them at a good price though and i saw the superman pic which you posted at silliest silver age moments thread and it looked kind of fun... i don't know... do you recomend the book ?

All-New Member

My pickups this past week...

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I posted these on the Marvel and DC threads, but I thought why not post them here also. My Recent Marvel and DC accumulated hauls:

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    Silver Age... i don't know if i want to try the era's Superman and Batman... they are mostly campy, silly stories as far as i know... i have sampled some... and batman and superman were playing wheel of fortune at one story when robin and jimmy spied on them from their secret base or something... i was like WTF just i read lol but i still kind of want the golden age Batman omni cause it's Batman even if i probably will not like the stories... i kind of want it under my hand but still did not pull the triger...i'm kind of torn.

You really got them at a good price though and i saw the superman pic which you posted at silliest silver age moments thread and it looked kind of fun... i don't know... do you recomend the book ?
    haven't read it yet so can't really tell you. My backlog is getting ridiculous. Wait, no...it already is.
    Why not go for the GA Batman trade? I know it's paperback but the paper is good, looks nice on the shelf, cost less and you get the beginnings which by all accounts is the most interesting part.

Oh geez, what great hauls above me Raffi and Orioles!

Started reading the Byrne Avengers omnibus, 250 pages in and loving it. Realised it has the first Avengers issue I've ever read when I was like 7 or 8 (and I'm pretty sure Byrne is responsible for my crush on She-Hulk).