Page 266 of 360 FirstFirst ... 166216256262263264265266267268269270276316 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 3,990 of 5394

Thread: Latest orders!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    I’m a bit intrigued about these as well, they seem well received but I have never read anything turtle-wise and all I can think about is the crappy cartoons and movies and it being a bit kiddy-ish, is there a chance I’ll like it?

(It’s exactly the same with the transformer books)
    The IDW and Mirage runs are nothing like the cartoons in terms of tone. The comics have adult themes and darker elements, however they will mix in some comedy here and there. Try to read an issue or two on comixology, or buy a TPB to see if you like it. You can't go wrong with the original comics or the current run from IDW. To give you an example of how different the comics can be from the cartoons, I would recommend reading the 'Return to New York' or 'City at War' arcs from the mirage series.

Quote Originally Posted by pch3727 View Post
    The IDW and Mirage runs are nothing like the cartoons in terms of tone. The comics have adult themes and darker elements, however they will mix in some comedy here and there. Try to read an issue or two on comixology, or buy a TPB to see if you like it. You can't go wrong with the original comics or the current run from IDW. To give you an example of how different the comics can be from the cartoons, I would recommend reading the 'Return to New York' or 'City at War' arcs from the mirage series.
    Thanks for the advice, I’ll try and pick up a single issue and give it go

I’m a bit intrigued about these as well, they seem well received but I have never read anything turtle-wise and all I can think about is the crappy cartoons and movies and it being a bit kiddy-ish, is there a chance I’ll like it?

Its worth noting that the original Mirage run was very much inspired by Frank Miller's Daredevil. In fact the creators of TMNT eventually said that the ooze that created the turtles is the same stuff that blinded/gave Matt Murdock his powers. After it blinded him it rolled down into the sewers.

The IDW run is in my top 5 series i've ever read. Its basically an action comic with an emphasis on family. It also has a very interesting supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    Its worth noting that the original Mirage run was very much inspired by Frank Miller's Daredevil. In fact the creators of TMNT eventually said that the ooze that created the turtles is the same stuff that blinded/gave Matt Murdock his powers. After it blinded him it rolled down into the sewers.

The IDW run is in my top 5 series i've ever read. Its basically an action comic with an emphasis on family. It also has a very interesting supporting cast.
    Well, it’s certainly being sold to me

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    You also have Daredevils Sensei Stick -> Master Splinter and The Hand -> Foot Clan. I think Shredder has a similar analogue somewhere but I can't remember off the top of my head.

TMNT as a whole was originally conceieved as a straight faced parody of the way comics were moving at that period in history (hence the name) but very quickly span out of control and becamse its own thing. The original cartoon series that, I would guess, most people grew up on and really identify the property with is almost completely antithetical to the way the whole property was orignally intended to go. But Eastman and Laird made a tonne of money off it and for a couple of guys just breaking into the industry self funding and self publishin their first real work who can blame them.

I've only read the first TMNT hc but I can't compare it to anything either. TMNT is TMNT. It's an absolutely ridiculous concept but it's presented seriously in these comics, they have good team/family dynamics and a nicely expanding universe.
    As for Transformers, I'v mostly read Phase 2 which is a good jumping on point. It has political drama, space myths, lots of funny stuff but serious drama too (one of the series is kinda like Firefly, a buncha characters on a spaceships, half the time it's funny but then the drama kicks in). First it's a big confusing with all the characters, like jumping into the X-men now, but the characterisation is really good and the story is gripping.

I'm the opposite, I've read phase 1 of Transformers, but nothing in phase 2. I did enjoy phase 1 but can't compare of course. On the whole, it was awesome, but there were some dodgy periods too.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Spectacular Member

I will definitely check out the first TPB of the TMNT series based off these comments. Hoping I like it! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fillmont View Post
    I will definitely check out the first TPB of the TMNT series based off these comments. Hoping I like it! Thanks.
    I doubt you'll like it .... I think you'll love it!

The HCs are really nice though
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Relatively speaking, it has been a quiet month. Also, I am putting in long hours in the lab/office just now, so limited reading time. Essentially 30 minutes before bed. Anyway, here is the haul. Some comics, novels, poetry and game guides.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought the complete deluxe series in hc for a really good price

20180201_205409.jpg

Ordered King of Birds directly from Nobrow Press site. Apparently they have nice shipping rates, not sure about packing.
    Last edited by bearded_adam; 02-01-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

Everything else i got in Jan
    IMG_1689.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    I bought the complete deluxe series in hc for a really good price

20180201_205409.jpg
    Just couldn’t get into this series, I got the first HC and ended up selling it, I think it’s Brian Wood, I’m reading the Viking trades at the moment and I’m finding it a bit of a bore (and I love Viking stuff) I still have the 3 Massive LE’s to read and not holding out much hope