Page 276 of 360 FirstFirst ... 176226266272273274275276277278279280286326 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,140 of 5394

Thread: Latest orders!

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Holy heck, Balakin. What a haul.
    Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    THat haul makes me jealous.
    haha, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zaboraviti View Post
    i think you're going to like it. it was one of the first books in my collection, bought it based on description and ended up loving it. this is the slipcase edition, isn't it (can't make it out on the phone)? 17 quid, wow. jealous. i'd like to see it in oversize.... mine is paperback and i'm afraid to open it to reread, it being a Top Cow product... i hope the hardcover is built better.
    well..... this is probably my biggest disappointment this year so far. Selling it straight away (I don't even care about making a profit on it)
    The story would be alright on it's own except for the christian based mythology of the world which is just very boring to me at this point and I don't think JMS made too much effort to give it a unique angle. The basic concept with people falling through cracks living like ghosts doesn't really require an angels vs demons take and I think it would be even stronger without that.
    But the main problem to me was Frank's art and the colouring. I do love Gary Frank but his style just doesn't fit the story. The handsome, square jawed protagonist guy with the hot, underwear model looking female protagonist, the hot, muscly antagonist who is evil because he is bald with a chin beard and all the demons that looked uniform and absolutely boring just made it feel like I'm watching some late 90s cringey tv series like Charmed. No atmosphere, nothing. But you got uninspired fist fights with the demons that doesn't feel like it adds to the main character's journey that he has to fight his way through the country and you get a lot of exposed musculature and boobs.
    I guess this was written for teenagers, I probably would have liked it much more when I was 17. That doesn't mean I don't think anyone should like it as an adult but the aesthetics and the presentation to me did not work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    well..... this is probably my biggest disappointment this year so far. Selling it straight away (I don't even care about making a profit on it)
    The story would be alright on it's own except for the christian based mythology of the world which is just very boring to me at this point and I don't think JMS made too much effort to give it a unique angle. The basic concept with people falling through cracks living like ghosts doesn't really require an angels vs demons take and I think it would be even stronger without that.
    But the main problem to me was Frank's art and the colouring. I do love Gary Frank but his style just doesn't fit the story. The handsome, square jawed protagonist guy with the hot, underwear model looking female protagonist, the hot, muscly antagonist who is evil because he is bald with a chin beard and all the demons that looked uniform and absolutely boring just made it feel like I'm watching some late 90s cringey tv series like Charmed. No atmosphere, nothing. But you got uninspired fist fights with the demons that doesn't feel like it adds to the main character's journey that he has to fight his way through the country and you get a lot of exposed musculature and boobs.
    I guess this was written for teenagers, I probably would have liked it much more when I was 17. That doesn't mean I don't think anyone should like it as an adult but the aesthetics and the presentation to me did not work at all.
    Ok. I think I'll skip it

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    Ok. I think I'll skip it
    I would recommend you to seek out other opinions on it because there are plenty of people who love this book.

Definitely need some opinions here... So, I've been really worried about data for my thesis because, well, you worry no matter how much you have. However, I've almost finished analysis on data which fits perfectly with out hypothesis and is likely publishable. As a book worm, I've decided to treat myself to one, perhaps two books as a reward, because I'm a grown up and don't need rewards

The mentioned above World Reader and Tomb Raider are both on my list. World Reader I am sure about. Tomb Raider however, I barely remember the games and I'm concerned that I won't appreciate it fully since I can't remember anything... Is it worth it?
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Definitely need some opinions here... So, I've been really worried about data for my thesis because, well, you worry no matter how much you have. However, I've almost finished analysis on data which fits perfectly with out hypothesis and is likely publishable. As a book worm, I've decided to treat myself to one, perhaps two books as a reward, because I'm a grown up and don't need rewards

The mentioned above World Reader and Tomb Raider are both on my list. World Reader I am sure about. Tomb Raider however, I barely remember the games and I'm concerned that I won't appreciate it fully since I can't remember anything... Is it worth it?
    Absolutely. I don't know the games either. It's just a fun series. These new Library edition is the series where the new movie is based upon.

Mighty Member

Yeah I'd appreciate some more opinions on Simone's Tomb Raider. Almost pulled the trigger on this, but I've been more miss than hit lately on blind buys

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    I picked this up from my LCS:

Onlr read an issue or two of Invisible Republic but it looks really good. I'm hoping for a HC edition soon.

I would recommend you to seek out other opinions on it because there are plenty of people who love this book.
    Indeed there are. I loved this book when it came out, but I have not read it in years. i'm not sure how it would hold up now, tastes do change, but at the time it was one of the strongest (creator owned) JMS books there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    Indeed there are. I loved this book when it came out, but I have not read it in years. i'm not sure how it would hold up now, tastes do change, but at the time it was one of the strongest (creator owned) JMS books there.
    I still like Supreme Power from JMS and from his later work I really liked The Twelve, need to reread Rising Stars though, used to love it but haven't read it in like a decade. So so far Midnight nation is the exception for me.

I went for Marney the Fox as my reward - so looking forward to it arriving
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

I still like Supreme Power from JMS and from his later work I really liked The Twelve, need to reread Rising Stars though, used to love it but haven't read it in like a decade. So so far Midnight nation is the exception for me.
    Rising Stars was a lovely idea but the art killed it for me. I never got around to reading the Supreme Power books even though I bought all the OHC's that came out.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I went for Marney the Fox as my reward - so looking forward to it arriving
    Great choice!

Is there a thread where we post pictures of newly acquired back issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Is there a thread where we post pictures of newly acquired back issues?
    Why not here?