Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Master X View Post
    I wonder where Batman Pre-52 timeline would pick up. INC Volume 2 was meant for Pre-52, but occurred post-Flashpoint. The event had already started... If it does come back (either reboot or its own multiverse, or it was saved somehow and dumped in the NU52 Multiverse (multiversally singular events still having occurred for them), where DOES Batman/Green Lantern pick up from? Would DC acknowledge to the end of Morrison's/John's efforts?
    [sarcasm not necessarily directed at you]

Oh, they would have to pick up exactly where those stories left off and re-tell the endings of them for the revised universe or else the whole thing would be indescribably confusing. Unless they make a clean break, nobody will ever possibly understand what is going on.

[/sarcasm not necessarily directed at you]

I wonder where Batman Pre-52 timeline would pick up. INC Volume 2 was meant for Pre-52, but occurred post-Flashpoint. The event had already started... If it does come back (either reboot or its own multiverse, or it was saved somehow and dumped in the NU52 Multiverse (multiversally singular events still having occurred for them), where DOES Batman/Green Lantern pick up from? Would DC acknowledge to the end of Morrison's/John's efforts?
    Green Lantern would more or less still be the same, Damien would possibly be eliminated or just introduced in B&R #1.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I'm happy too.

It comes from having a mature perspective on the situation.
    No offence but it sounds more like the just going with what they are feeding you approach. I mean I'm sure you read it and enjoy what they are giving you but is it really your favorite versions of your favorite characters. Wouldn't you much rather enjoy actually being able to get your favorite version of the characters you love in new continuing stories instead of have to settle for second or in some cases 3rd best. In this day and age that simply doesn't need to be the case. If you want to read a new story from your favorite era that really shouldn't be a problem anymore and most fans simply just are not vocal enough to demand they see what they want.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    you should put statistic from the last 10 years. sales are still falling and soon will be at 23 millions. the 3d covers coulve have been done at pre new 52, it's just a gimmick that saved DC last year
    Falling, yes, but there's no telling where we would be if they hadn't relaunched. Might other stuff have worked? Maybe. But sales had been dropping for about 5 years. Something drastic had to be done.

What if they couldn't have afforded to spend the money to do the gimmick covers if they hadn't gotten the bigger revenue from the relaunch?

Here's a thought - what if the new52 ONLY had to pick sales up for that first couple of years? What if that 29 million unit year was enough to justify everything?

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

They may change the entire DCU and go back to 1939 for every other character (they won't), but Batman isn't changing. No reboot has ever really affected him and I would guess none ever will in my lifetime. He's too popular, drives too many sales, and is uniquely ingrained in the culture as likely the most popular fictional character of the last 30 years at least. They are never going to go back and "re-introduce" Batman and that's why people saying they should have clean slate rebooted are crazy. They aren't going to wait years to re-introduce Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake and Damian. They aren't going to go one by one through the rogues gallery and re-introduce them again. Any random person walking down the street could tell you Batman's five greatest villains and their basic story and probably not be able to name five other comic book characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Falling, yes, but there's no telling where we would be if they hadn't relaunched. Might other stuff have worked? Maybe. But sales had been dropping for about 5 years. Something had to be done.

What if they couldn't have afforded to spend the money to do the gimmick covers if they hadn't gotten the bigger revenue from the relaunch?

Here's a thought - what if the new52 ONLY had to pick sales up for that first couple of years? What if that 29 million unit year was enough to justify everything?
    Justify to who? The Stock holders? Not even close.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 09-24-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Too confusing for casual readers. At best you would get an Earth 2 style book set in a previous continuity (maybe something along the lines of an entire family of books set in a particular world, like "Earth 2: Batman", Earth 2: Superman", "Earth 2 Justice Society", etc.).

If the model you proposed actually worked, then it would have been the standard by which comics are published today. It would be like getting your cake and eating it too.

Look at the Ultimate Line. Marvel had two concurrent continuities. Eventually, one will become dominant and the other will languish on the side.
    WHAT casual readers? Most of the new guys who jumped on board were reading comics anyway, just from other companies, or only certain DC titles. Those people will not get confused. I'm sure DC has realised by now just who buys their comics and would realise that the people who buy their big sellers would happily buy multiple versions of them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    They may change the entire DCU and go back to 1939 for every other character (they won't), but Batman isn't changing. No reboot has ever really affected him and I would guess none ever will in my lifetime. He's too popular, drives too many sales, and is uniquely ingrained in the culture as likely the most popular fictional character of the last 30 years at least. They are never going to go back and "re-introduce" Batman and that's why people saying they should have clean slate rebooted are crazy. They aren't going to wait years to re-introduce Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake and Damian. They aren't going to go one by one through the rogues gallery and re-introduce them again. Any old Joe or Sally could tell you Batman's five greatest villains and their basic story.
    Points to my posts. Problems solved all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    you should put statistic from the last 10 years. sales are still falling and soon will be at 23 millions. the 3d covers coulve have been done at pre new 52, it's just a gimmick that saved DC last year
    In December of 2010 DC had 7 books in a row in the top 10 with number 1 a Batman book at 89k, sales were poor just be honest, what were they going to do? make 3D covers ever month?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    I don't know if you can slice the pie four ways and hope it holds together.

Odd food metaphor, I know....

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. Batman is the reason they did the New 52 the way they did - the 5 year gap was to accomodate Batman's history and allow his enormous supporting cast to already exist since it comprises a quarter of DCs line. Superman can be completely rebooted - he was in 1986. Batman can't be. You can't just start over with him

BANNED

I'm not sure what you mean. Batman is the reason they did the New 52 the way they did - the 5 year gap was to accomodate Batman's history and allow his enormous supporting cast to already exist since it comprises a quarter of DCs line. Superman can be completely rebooted - he was in 1986. Batman can't be. You can't just start over with him
    And you wouldn't need to. 4 era's 4 different progressions of his history.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I think it's possible, but very risky. How receptive would fans be to rebuilding the Batman mythos from the ground up? I've long been open to it...seeing a young Dick Grayson as Robin for the first time again (which we saw in a warped way in ALL-STAR BATMAN), etc., but DC (rightfully) doesn't feel that enough people like me exist to want to risk it.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    Cyborg graduating into a Leaguer would have been richer for character's sake. His relationship with Titans were endearing.
    He DID graduate into a Justice Leaguer just before the reboot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I don't know if you can slice the pie four ways and hope it holds together.

Odd food metaphor, I know....

Sure you can. Why you do what they should be doing to begin with. Assign the writers to a set Era. You write Superman cool, you want to try Batman, go ahead but you stay in that Era you are writing Superman. There needs to be some kind of chain of command going. One of the reason the older comics did so well was because writters were set to one project and that's it. You did that and you finish what you start. WAY and I mean WAY to much leeway is given to these guys today. They simply can come and go as they please. That's is crazy not only for business but for the storytelling in general.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 09-24-2014 at 01:00 PM.