Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I honestly doubt that they would, even if sales were terrible (and they're not). It would be and admission of failure and probably hurt the careers of the top guys involved.
    As much as I like to hate on the guy (Didio), he's made it clear (unintentionally) that while he himself directed the/helped write the "reboot", the rebooting was pretty much mandated to him from those above, those that only care about money. Such an action from those above can and will happen again as soon as profit dictates it. Made me feel a bit sorry for him, because as much as I dislike what happened, it wasn't all his fault.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Master X View Post
    As much as I like to hate on the guy (Didio), he's made it clear (unintentionally) that while he himself directed the/helped write the "reboot", the rebooting was pretty much mandated to him from those above, those that only care about money. Such an action from those above can and will happen again as soon as profit dictates it. Made me feel a bit sorry for him, because as much as I dislike what happened, it wasn't all his fault.
    Well, I'm on the complete opposite position from in this one. I don't "hate" Didio, but I have to say that not only I was completely in favor of rebooting but also that the stuff I dislike about the New 52 are the ones that stemmed from Didio (mostly) enforcing his visions; most of that stuff was being pushed before the New 52 anyway.

My guess is the need for an african american in JL was from above since this was also done in the cartoons and the Smallville JL. Maybe in another JL reboot after the coie anniversary we might get Vixen instead of Cyborg in the JL.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    My guess is the need for an african american in JL was from above since this was also done in the cartoons and the Smallville JL.
    For the cartoons, it was — and it mostly worked, given that (a) the Lanterns are pretty much interchangeable and (b) the cartoons really hadn't established the legacy of Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner beyond an introduction.
    By the time of New 52, though… diversity may have been a push but the logic behind replacing Martian Manhunter with Cyborg is sound.
    Martian Manhunter is a weak character with little to offer powers-wise that the other don't except telepathy… and he was better suited to Stormwatch anyway.
    Cyborg fits the bill better, especially if you view it as…
    • Superman: aliens
    • Wonder Woman: magical-based/pantheon-based
    • Aquaman: aquatic
    • Green Lantern: space
    • Batman: street heroes
    and Flash as the wildcard. In that case, Cyborg: technology works completely.

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Maybe in another JL reboot after the coie anniversary we might get Vixen instead of Cyborg in the JL.
    I doubt it. Vixen's also a bit of a problem from lack of backstory and the need to get her into the JL. That's not saying she shouldn't be in there — because she should. She should just be a recruit.

With the coie anniversary coming up, my guess is Batman and GL are quite popular and will probably be immune to reboots. If the pre New 52 universes survive the coie anniversary, this will open up more opportunities to do titles based on different universes.