Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Avengers #24 Review (w/spoilers)

Brace yourselves people, this issue is a doozy. First the spoilers.

spoilers:

Namor admits to Dr. Doom that the Cabal is unruly. And when he's saying that, he absolutely means it. Two Earths are destroyed in this issue, one being the Supreme Power verse, the other a X-Men oriented one, might even be X-Men Forever. And the X-Men scene is just MESSED UP. Apparently, Terrax likes slash-fics, nuff said. Doom refuses to help Namor.

Wakanda is done. Destroyed. Finito. Cooked. The Cabal went in on it, and only less than 2,000 citizens are left. Thanks a f**kin' lot, Namor. The whole world watched and did nothing to save Wakanda. Some say that's just. I say that just confirms everything Wakandan's felt about the outside world, but whatever. T'Challa and Shuri (they are cool with each other now) try to nab some of the Earth destroying bombs. Maximus and Proxima stop them, and Shuri buys T'Challa time to leave.

Unfortunately, that leaves her stuck against Proxima and her forces. Thankfully, there's no body! But uh, I'm expecting the worst.

Dr. Doom has plans of his own. One of them involving Molecule Man.

end of spoilers

This issue focuses on three characters: Namor acting as the Cabal Representative, T'Challa acting as the face of the Illuminati right now, and Dr. Doom, acting as the representative of Doom because he does what he wants. And I think that was more than enough to show how dire the situation is.

I loved Dr. Doom in this issue. Completely shunned throughout the series, now it's his time to shine. And shine he did, denying Namor with style, and plotting his own means of saving the universe. A new player in the mix.

Namor... I totally understand his situation, and how it turned into a complete mess. He's at wit's end, but that's what happens when you deal with guys like Thanos, Black Swan, Terrax, and Maximus.

And as a Black Panther fan... Man, this issue was rough. I had a feeling it would happen, but it HURT. And hopefully the fate of one character doesn't really come to pass.

The art was fantastic this issue, really helped show how bad things have gotten, emotionally, structurally, etc. And of course, Hickman presents a status quo more shocking than any alternate reality I've seen from Marvel as of late. Not just because of how dire it is, but how probable it is. How it fits into the tapestry of what he's been writing since the get go.

I found it really interesting that Doom's team has the Mapmakers...map. Will it really allow him to find the origin of the Incursions?

Also that X-Men scene was sad, and I noticed they even killed Phoenix, which is really weird.

Oh shit

At least Shuri and T'challa were on good terms

But... F mane

Namor is so dead
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I'm also wondering how Wakanda fell. I guess the Cabal did that? Because I doubt it has anything to do with Sixis.

Extraordinary Member

No one wants to hear me say it but I will anyway.

I was expecting Wakanda to get blowed up real good six years ago.

So I'm not shocked that its happening now.

Considering that the Cabal is has Thanos, two of Thanos' arch flunkies and an Alt Universe Herald of Galactus on its squad it's a wonder that there are even 2000 of them left.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 09-24-2014 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

Considering that the Cabal is has Thanos, two of Thanos' arch flunkies and an Alt Universe Herald of Galactus on its squad it's a wonder that there are even 2000 of them left.

It is surprising it has taken this long and you are right, at least it was done by an epic line up of powerful villains.

I wonder if it is 2000 of just the golden city or all of the surounding tribes as well
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Spectacular Member CyclopsWasRight's Avatar

That scene with the dead X-Men? Probably my favorite in years.

Absolutely brutal issue. I did not expect Wanda destroyed. If anything, I think once word got out about the Incursions the outside world decided Wakanda was an acceptable price to pay for the continued existence of the universe. If anything, this reminds of what T'Challa's ancestors have said regarding what it takes in terms of being a king. How you must do anything to ensure survival.

I do wonder why the Illuminati get hunted why the Cabal are given free reign. Perhaps done to appease their would be saviors?

Regarding Doom, he was entirely spot on. I think we will Doom's plan merge with what the Savage Land Avengers crew are doing.

Edit: That alt Earth with the X-Men was just so brutal. Terrax's dialogue along with Corvus was so telling.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

What a fantastic issue. When they met in the series, Reed pretty much dared Doom to find a sollution knowing he could find a new angle, and he did with the Mad Thinker's help.

Wakanda is doomed, a shame, but people who get in Thanos' way rarely do well.

Namor thinking he could remain the de facto leader in a team that has Thanos makes him a complete fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    All hope lies in Doom.
    It's almost like Valeria knew what she was talking about...

Fantastic Member

Xavier should have said,

"Very well. Thanos, pleeeease....

... please understand, that Death will never return your love. Because you are unworthy of her, unworthy of any love. And you're a butthead."

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

I think Bast during Hickman's FF run said something worse than AvX was going to happen. So this was coming down the pike.

But the nice thing about comics is that once this event is over, Wakanda can magically be rebuilt in a week and a half. I know some BP fans will understandably feel differently than I do, but marvel cities get blow up and rebuilt overnight on a fairly regular basis I sort of get de-sensitived to it. 2 years from now Wakanda will be as good as new like none of this happened.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think Bast during Hickman's FF run said something worse than AvX was going to happen. So this was coming down the pike.

But the nice thing about comics is that once this event is over, Wakanda can magically be rebuilt in a week and a half. I know some BP fans will understandably feel differently than I do, but marvel cities get blow up and rebuilt overnight on a fairly regular basis I sort of get de-sensitived to it. 2 years from now Wakanda will be as good as new like none of this happened.
    On panel Wakanda recovered from AvX in a few weeks. The comic landed 3-4 months after the end of AvX and we are still hearing complaints about that event 3 years later even with the destruction of Atlantis at the hands of Wakandans. Needless to say we will be hearing about this for years to come and Wakanda will probably recover on panel again in 2-4 weeks . Lol

Extraordinary Member

I am having a DBZ vibe where things will balance out (in the end) in spite of the near extermination of Wakanda.

Will the population magically recover in that time as well? Because that would be pretty poor writing if they ignored them getting knocked down to 2k survivors. I mean, rebuilding the buildings and city can be justified by the fact that organizations like Damage Control exist and Wakanda has even better tech supposedly, but resurrection, while not exactly infrequent, is still not supposed to be a matter of mass consumption.

BANNED

Hmmm....
    Sounds like I'm actually going to buy this issue. Might be the small fan service Some will get before the other shoe drops again.

I was actually bothered by what happen to the Wakkandans during AvX. But after how fans reacted over the years in regards to Atlantis and Namor I can barley care. At least now they are closer to understanding Namors plight. Hopefully, Shuri shoulders are strong enough to carry the burden because after the last couple of issue T'Challa doesn't seem ready for it.
    Last edited by Trident; 09-24-2014 at 06:55 AM.