Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Running back to Ma and Pa was more of a Lois & Clark thing than it was a Superman comics thing. This pretty much sums up how Ma and Pa were used on the show:

Attachment 10524

Gotta wake up Ma and Pa in the middle of the night and get advice from them!
    Well that's what you do with a tv show cast. lol

Quote Originally Posted by victorsage View Post
    I think the marriage is suppose to be sometime in the 50s. It's been a long time since I read those old Superman family stories, but Kal-L and Lois got married together in their 30s. Post Crisis Supeman and Lois were married in their 30s as well. Silver Age Supes never was married, unless you consider Whatever Happened to be canon, at which point we are going to meet a hero who has no powers.

So Kal-l may just see it as a phase.
    It's possible. I'm just imagining that working in Clark/Kal-L's mind long term (remember he's from a time when you dated fairly seriously if you did date, even the "short-term" options that I recall were in one way or another, permanent options). I get the feeling (and yes, this is speculation not bore out by comics because I don't have enough info on them interacting in that time-frame) that he knew enough about her mission to feel uncomfortable by it (remember, this is the 50s here for a moment, he's perspective would still have been the woman eventually staying at home/sacrificing for the family and kids, which is thought to be non-feminist in many circles and fairly debated even withing feminist circle on whether it it feminist). I'm certain that he couldn't have imagined her doing what Lois did (WW , sacrificing her mission even halfway for family/kids). Again, this is the WW of that time frame, not today (we don't know if that will be the case today. It could still come up, but it might not).

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by victorsage View Post
    Well that's what you do with a tv show cast. lol
    Yeah, and Those two that played the Kents were pretty good actors and I think it was a case of giving them something to do. Since L&C is largely based on the Post-Crisis era, people tend to lump L&C into that, and tend to remember that trope used more than it was in the comics. In Fact, I don't think we got much of that until the Loeb era (SFAS where he gets all mopey after Lex Luthor gives him a dressing down at the end of issue #3 and a couple times in the SUPERMAN issues he wrote).

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

The thing is, eventually, Superman eventually reverts more or less back to a baseline. By the time of the aftermath of Infinite Crisis,the only main differences between the Superman Pre COIE and Post IC was that he was then married to Lois and Ma & Pa kent were both alive (although Pa would soon die.). Much of his Pre-Crisis history was implied to have happened in the vague past and Most of the changes Byrne made were all but gone by 2006, and really were mostly gone by 1999 in all reality. I think at some point in the next few years the costume will look much closer to the classic (less or no lines, lower collar etc) although the trunks may or may not return (Batman had them, lost them, had them then lost them again over like a decade prior to Flashpoint). Likely after another year or two, writers will likely move away from shipping Diana and Clark and shift back to Lois and Clark. Also I would not be surprised that at some point one or both of the Kents may return in some fashion. It's safe to say in 10 years the Superman DC publishes will look more like the Superman that existed in August 2011 than the Superman of September 2011.

The main reason this will happen is the same reason Pre-Flashpoint Superman looked more like Pre-Crisis Superman than Byrne Superman..is that the generation of creators coming into comics grew up with the previous Generation Superman as their "ideal" Superman, and their sensibilities steer the character in that direction. Geoff Johns, Kurt busiek and Dan DiDio grew up on the Bronze Age Superman and the Donner film...and the Superman we got from 2006-Flashpoint was a combination of both with a few pieces of the Post-Crisis thrown in. The New 52 largely is very much in that vein...except less Donner. and Less Post-Crisis, whilst dressed in a Jim Lee designed outfit. The Next Generation of Superman creators will likely slowly steer the character closer to what we had Pre-new 52. Not quite that previous version...but closer to it. Just as the creators after them who fondly remember the New 52 era may bring in those sensibilities back in. It's all cyclical.

The lesson for most comics fans is this....if you don't like a current take on a character...especially if that character is Superman, wait 10-15 years and you will likely find something you remember.

Bringing other realities back into the time and space lore of DCU does not mean the New 52 is going anywhere. You guys are just setting yourself up for another disappointment if that's what you're expecting. They'll exist, but nothing's being outright replaced.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-28-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Yeah, New 52 Superman isn't going anywhere.

Is this Hypertime?

BANNED

Well the fact is nobody wants a rather moral toned down Superman. Scott Lobdell writes the most boring Superman in existance, and sales have plummeted on every title besides Unchained for years.

DC knows they have to bring back the good stuff, or start integrating it into the current DCU.

Well that's good because the New 52 Superman isn't morally toned down. Never was. Not even Lobdell's version. Level of aggression does not correlate to level of morals.

DC knows they have to bring back the good stuff, or start integrating it into the current DCU.
    They don't have to bring back anything. Whatever they're doing they're doing because they have a story they want to tell.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-28-2014 at 08:10 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Well the fact is nobody wants a rather moral toned down Superman. Scott Lobdell writes the most boring Superman in existance, and sales have plummeted on every title besides Unchained for years.

Superman really needs some re-brand

and that time superman feed lois to parasite to protect his secrets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Well that's good because the New 52 Superman isn't morally toned down. Never was. Not even Lobdell's version. Level of aggression does not correlate to level of morals.
    They sure tried to downplay his moral code/ethics for quite some time.

They don't have to bring back anything.
    They did. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Superman really needs some re-brand

and that time superman feed lois to parasite to protect his secrets
    Seems theyve been picking up the ball recently atleast.

I hope after this Doomed thing all goes back to normal. Hopefully theyll get rid of that terrible editor.

They did. Checkmate.
    But that hardly means its going to go anywhere long-term. The strong likelihood is that it won't, knowing how DC operates. We know its going to play a role in the 2015 event but what after that? Its not replacing anything, that's for sure. DC has never shown any interest in wanting an entirely separate line like the Ultimate verse either. So what's left is either these alternate realities just floating around to be reused every once in a great while, or, this might even be the swan song that the pre-New 52 never got the first time around.

Either way the insinuation at this point that this is being done out of some pressure to do so out of perceived failures with the way things are going now is dubious.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-28-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Incredible Member

I think they should transform Superman into the version Cypher has in his avatar. :P

(In actuality, I agree with those who say it will probably be a Zero Year/Infinite Crisis style clean-up, rather than a full blown CoIE/FP). I'm hoping for, at very least, a better supersuit!

Amazing Member

DC is not replacing The New 52, if they are changing stuff with the Crisis event it weill only be to those things that didn't stick. I don't see Superman reverting to his Pre-Flashpoint self, either. If anything, these Pre-Flashpoint characters may return to some capacity in the new multiverse as parallel versions of the Earth-0 characters for interested creators to do some "classic" stories with them or just used for the event and ignored afterwards.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    But that hardly means its going to go anywhere long-term. The strong likelihood is that it won't, knowing how DC operates. We know its going to play a role in the 2015 event but what after that? Its not replacing anything, that's for sure. DC has never shown any interest in wanting an entirely separate line like the Ultimate verse either. So what's left is either these alternate realities just floating around to be reused every once in a great while, or, this might even be the swan song that the pre-New 52 never got the first time around.

Either way the insinuation at this point that this is being done out of some pressure to do so out of perceived failures with the way things are going now is dubious.
    Perceived failure? Its a factual failure, sales have dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    I think they should transform Superman into the version Cypher has in his avatar. :P

(In actuality, I agree with those who say it will probably be a Zero Year/Infinite Crisis style clean-up, rather than a full blown CoIE/FP). I'm hoping for, at very least, a better supersuit!
    Psh, I wish. It would be the weirdest and most entertaining thing.

Quote Originally Posted by George Taylor View Post
    DC is not replacing The New 52, if they are changing stuff with the Crisis event it weill only be to those things that didn't stick. I don't see Superman reverting to his Pre-Flashpoint self, either. If anything, these Pre-Flashpoint characters may return to some capacity in the new multiverse as parallel versions of the Earth-0 characters for interested creators to do some "classic" stories with them or just used for the event and ignored afterwards.
    Well theyre not going to replace much I doubt, but as mentioned earlier they have been steadily bringing in the pre-52 swing of things back. They even officially brought back classic Superman.