Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Storm #3 Review and Spoilers.

The issue starts off with the preview pages done by the artist David Baldeon. We see Ororo taking care of plants by providing a gentle rainstorm in what appears to be the green room while being amused at the reaction of a cat when the rain begins to fall and telling it to "shush". Henry McCoy who goes by the codename beast appears and tells her that it is pretty much them ( the x-men ) in a nutshell, telling her no matter how much they save the day, someone is going to be rained on. Storm proceeds to ask Henry what is troubling him and he explained to her about "residual remorse" for helping her hack into satellites to track missing teens yet she leaves them in the tunnels with an "arch-villainess", to which storm asked him if he knows it was the right thing to do.

Henry says to her that the right thing can get pretty dangerous for everyone. He also acknowledges that she has been through alot lately and that he knows she has a lot of communities asking so much of her. Storm, being puzzled asks Henry what he is he talking about,to which he replies telling her about an invitation she got, a sketchy one and that it could possibly be a trap. Anxiously Storm snatches his pad, losing control over her powers for a brief moment she burns it beyond repair. Beast tells her to calm down while she apologized, telling her that it is the unveiling of new technology to bring rain to the desert in Kenya. Storm's eyes glow white as she recalls her days stating plainly "I remember Kenya". In the flashback that follows we see her standing at the entrance to the doorway at which she would appear whenever the villagers prayed to her when she was younger.

Under her own power, Storm flew to the village where she was praised as a deity and examines the portal, seemingly reminiscing of her days she spent under the guise of a goddess. An elderly lady appears and introduces herself to storm, who told the lady that doesn't believe that they have met before.The elderly lady smiled and said that they had never met "formally" and asked "How could she forget the goddess". Ororo explained to the woman that she is not really a goddess and apologizes for making the villagers treat her as such. The woman admits to Storm that the villagers, ALL of them knew she was never a goddess but they worshiped her anyway because they needed the rains. Further down the issue after catching up with Forge, Storm takes a look at the technology he made that uses sunlight to pull moisture from the air creating rains. The device only had two settings, gentle rains and a full fledged storm, Forge explained that he wanted to monitor how storm's powers function so the machine could model itself after her. Storm explains to Forge how her powers operate and the clear limits they have. She tells him that if she commanded rain for a week on the village, there would be a drought a thousand miles away.

Okay this is my first time making a thread and i really don't want to give too much away
    Overall, I thought the issue was a pretty good read. Storm's speech has lost its "formality" a bit and shows that she's not holding back herself any longer by becoming more open with her feelings and behavior. The art was a bit confusing due to the fact that two different artists were on the book. Hepburn's art was a little crazy but it was really good in some spots especially when the shadows were cast on Storm's cheekbones. I think this series really needs a subplot, although i think I may have missed one while reading it (Not going to say where, you'll have to read it yourselves). I'd give it a 4.5/5

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Rosa Snarks; 09-24-2014 at 12:55 PM.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroexxx View Post
    The issue starts off with the preview pages done by the artist David Baldeon. We see Ororo taking care of plants by providing a gentle rainstorm in what appears to be the green room while being amused at the reaction of a cat when the rain begins to fall and telling it to "shush". Henry McCoy who goes by the codename beast appears and tells her that it is pretty much them ( the x-men ) in a nutshell, telling her no matter how much they save the day, someone is going to be rained on. Storm proceeds to ask Henry what is troubling him and he explained to her about "residual remorse" for helping her hack into satellites to track missing teens yet she leaves them in the tunnels with an "arch-villainess", to which storm asked him if he knows it was the right thing to do.

Henry says to her that the right thing can get pretty dangerous for everyone. He also acknowledges that she has been through alot lately and that he knows she has a lot of communities asking so much of her. Storm, being puzzled asks Henry what he is he talking about,to which he replies telling her about an invitation she got, a sketchy one and that it could possibly be a trap. Anxiously Storm snatches his pad, losing control over her powers for a brief moment she burns it beyond repair. Beast tells her to calm down while she apologized, telling her that it is the unveiling of new technology to bring rain to the desert in Kenya. Storm's eyes glow white as she recalls her days stating plainly "I remember Kenya". In the flashback that follows we see her standing at the entrance to the doorway at which she would appear whenever the villagers prayed to her when she was younger.

Under her own power, Storm flew to the village where she was praised as a deity and examines the portal, seemingly reminiscing of her days she spent under the guise of a goddess. An elderly lady appears and introduces herself to storm, who told the lady that doesn't believe that they have met before.The elderly lady smiled and said that they had never met "formally" and asked "How could she forget the goddess". Ororo explained to the woman that she is not really a goddess and apologizes for making the villagers treat her as such. The woman admits to Storm that the villagers, ALL of them knew she was never a goddess but they worshiped her anyway because they needed the rains. Further down the issue after catching up with Forge, Storm takes a look at the technology he made that uses sunlight to pull moisture from the air creating rains. The device only had two settings, gentle rains and a full fledged storm, Forge explained that he wanted to monitor how storm's powers function so the machine could model itself after her. Storm explains to Forge how her powers operate and the clear limits they have. She tells him that if she commanded rain for a week on the village, there would be a drought a thousand miles away.

Okay this is my first time making a thread and i really don't want to give too much away
    Overall, I thought the issue was a pretty good read. Storm's speech has lost its "formality" a bit and shows that she's not holding back herself any longer by becoming more open with her feelings and behavior. The art was a bit confusing due to the fact that two different artists were on the book. Hepburn's art was a little crazy but it was really good in some spots especially when the shadows were cast on Storm's cheekbones. I think this series really needs a subplot, although i think I may have missed one while reading it (Not going to say where, you'll have to read it yourselves). I'd give it a 4.5/5
    Thnk u love for the review. I will be picking this up after work. Funny the villagers knew all along she wasnt a goddess... lol

Playing to her ego lol.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Thnk u love for the review. I will be picking this up after work. Funny the villagers knew all along she wasnt a goddess... lol

Playing to her ego lol.
    lol you're welcome Kyss and yes....when i read what the lady said i was like wuttttttttttttttttttttttt? oh hell naw! ( I laughed til i cried)
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Funny the villagers knew all along she wasnt a goddess... lol

Playing to her ego lol.
    That is messed up. She was a 12 year old girl, callously manipulating her for years, who could do such a thing? I think Pak/Marvel is just back-peddling because paganism makes him/them uncomfortable. Ororo had a genuine spiritual experience of the Goddess as a child,

and it was the villages who came to her asking for help and giving praises, not her extorting or tricking them. She didn't even want their offered sacrifice!

Pak messed up here.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    That is messed up. She was a 12 year old girl, callously manipulating her for years, who could do such a thing? I think Pak/Marvel is just back-peddling because paganism makes him/them uncomfortable. Ororo had a genuine spiritual experience of the Goddess as a child,

and it was the villages who came to her asking for help and giving praises, not her extorting or tricking them. She didn't even want their offered sacrifice!

Pak messed up here.
    interesting point. She hasn't done any of her signature "Goddess" "Bright Lady" exclamations yet in either her solo or any of the x-men books except in Woods x-men where she mentioned the "gods" lol.

This book is consistently average. Not sure it doesn't better fit in an anthology like X-Men Unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by Starsmoar View Post
    This book is consistently average. Not sure it doesn't better fit in an anthology like X-Men Unlimited.
    #1 was nice, but these last two, I agree.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Agreed.

This was another okay / safe issue. I want this to be amazing: where's the excitement of waiting the next issue for resolution ? where are the plot threads that run continuously over several issues ? where's the extravaganza ?

This needs to get into second gear position very soon. It leaves quite a bit to be desired as is.

BANNED

He's trying to play it safe so to speak but I agree with this assessment

BANNED

Great job and I am glad Pak wrote this. It addresses something deep for Storm but I can't wait for Yukio next month.

o

Quote Originally Posted by Omegastorm View Post
    Great job and I am glad Pak wrote this. It addresses something deep for Storm but I can't wait for Yukio next month.

o
    thanks O! I still can't get over the fact that they knew she was a mutant! I'm glad that she apologized for "fooling" them
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

I think the whole Angie's boyfriend suddenly turning himself in at the end of #2 was DEF a subplot. But I enjoyed this issue. Now I can't wait for #4,5 and 6 OMG!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PattiLaBelleStormfan View Post
    I think the whole Angie's boyfriend suddenly turning himself in at the end of #2 was DEF a subplot. But I enjoyed this issue. Now I can't wait for #4,5 and 6 OMG!!!
    And the old lady's son who got upset because he wanted to use the tech as he pleased....
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

And the old lady's son who got upset because he wanted to use the tech as he pleased....
    Yes I see him becoming problematic lol. I'm so excited for next month! Do we have a date yet??