• SEX #16

1 3.03%
  • UMBRAL #9

0 0%
  • WAYWARD #2

2 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Image Comic of the Week Sep 24/14 - Chew #43, Low #3, Saga #23, Wayward #2

Last Week's Winner

Slow week last week but Deadly Class is back on top with 10 votes. Saga returns this week after picking up a massive 17 votes last month, the most of any title to date. Can Saga keep the momentum? Big week for Image today as a lot of Image's top new titles are back with the latest issue in their first arc Wayward #2, Low #3, and Kirkman's Outcast #4.

A few interesting titles debut this week. First is Larime Taylor's terrific A Voice in the Dark Get Your Gun #1, in color. See why this series keeps getting glowing reviews consistently. Also today is Michael Moreci and Vic Malhotra's sci fi noir Roche Limit #1.

New This Week

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS
    (W/A/CA) Larime Taylor
    NOW IN FULL COLOR!
    A great jumping-on point for new readers. With Zoey and several of her roommates possible suspects in the murder of Mandy Jenkins, Uncle Zeke is taken off the case to avoid a conflict of interest. Meanwhile, Zoey meets her 'fan' for the first time without masks.

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS
    (W) Michael Moreci (A/CA) Vic Malhotra
    "OUR DESTINY IS THE STARS, AND I WILL LEAD US THERE."
    Twenty years after this promise, billionaire Langford Skaargard's dream of cosmic exploration is no more. Roche Limit, a colony situated on the cusp of a mysterious energy anomaly, is a melting pot of crime and terrible secrets. When Bekkah Hudson goes missing, the search to find her will plunge her sister and a cadre of the colony's underworld figures into an odyssey that reveals a grim future for mankind. Blending 2001: A Space Odyssey with Blade Runner, ROCHE LIMIT is the first part of a bold sci-fi/noir trilogy.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 09-24-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

I went with Saga. After the last few issues, this one reminded me why I consider this series to be one of the best comics that I have ever read.
    X-23|ROGUE|EMMA FROST|ARCHANGEL|RAT QUEENS|WONDER WOMAN|OYA|PIXIE|THOR|STORM

Wooooooooooooooooooooooo! Just finished reading Saga. This has to be the best single issue of any comic from all publishers this week, one of the best in the series. Incredible issue, reminds me why I love this title so much and why it brought me back into comics. Great, great issue.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

I skimmed through Roche Limit #1 at the store earlier.. if I keep hearing good things, I'll go back and pick it up. It sounds up my alley, but I'm on a bit of a budget right now. LOW #3 was the only Image title I pulled this week and I have no reservations about voting for it. After 3 issues, I can safely say it's my favorite title. Greg Tocchini is in full beast mode.
    Last edited by cc008; 09-25-2014 at 11:15 AM.

I really love Outcast. I think it's a better trade book, because it's a slow burn, but I'm still loving it.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoguishGurl View Post
    I went with Saga. After the last few issues, this one reminded me why I consider this series to be one of the best comics that I have ever read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Wooooooooooooooooooooooo! Just finished reading Saga. This has to be the best single issue of any comic from all publishers this week, one of the best in the series. Incredible issue, reminds me why I love this title so much and why it brought me back into comics. Great, great issue.
    Really? You two sure? It was... alright I suppose. It had an interesting ending, but honestly, it was just kind of average and felt like I was watching a typical TV drama or soap opera most of the time (it also felt a bit rushed in some parts). Also, I rather disappointed that a certain someone didn't die (some of these problems could have been easily avoided if it wasn't for this person), thought that's a personal thing. Honestly, it's just kind of a weak outing and feels like just setup for the finale when will really take off.

Finished reading my stack and boy was it a good one this week. In order from best to worst(which was still awesome):

Saga #23 - Amazing issue, definitely a good issue but not the single best in my opinion nevertheless was my favorite book this week

Outcast #4 - Loving the slow burn of this series, probably a better read in trade but I just find every issue so gripping that I just don't have the will to wait for the trade

Wayward #2 - Loved the first issue and same with this one. It was very action oriented which made it a quick read which left me wanting more but at this stage it felt like a more self contained story similar to the first issue, very keen to see how everything links together

Low #3 - Personally didn't enjoy this issue as much as the second but similar to outcast I feel this would be a better read in trade as each chapter is a slow burn to something epic (potentially).

Was gonna pick up Roche Limit but in my previous experience noir/crime stuff is better read in trade regardless, I would pick it up if my standing order at my LCS was chock filled with amazing titles already. Gotta make a few cuts especially since a lot of awesome titles are coming out from image soon which I've already reserved. Roche Limit will just have to be a trade title for me unfortunately.
    Black Science, Copperhead, Deadly Class, East of West, The Fade Out, Five Ghosts, Ghosted, Injustice, Invincible, Lazarus, Manifest Destiny, Nailbiter, Outcast, Saga, Southern Bastards, Spread,The Walking Dead, Wayward, XO Manowar

This week was one of the best September has offered for me

Saga #23 was absolutely brilliant. Love how Vaughn managed to twist the shocking conclusion of #19 and I literally shouted 'woop!' Really ready to move on and reach the conclusion of the arc, and the ending of this issue was great. Loved the picture on Prince IV screen when he realised V was still alive. Reminds us how even though they may look like machines their emotions can be conveyed in better ways than 'human' looking characters.

Outcast #4 was good. There is a lot of slow-burning to this series and I agree with others that it would be much better read in a trade. Things seem to be heating up now for Kyle and the Reverend and I hope the storyline progresses out of the little town that they live in.

Low #3 was the weakest on so far imo. Couldn't really connect to Marik's annoyance and their constant arguing, just felt it gave the issue a really dark and melancholic tone which I don't really want in a book. Even Outcast had some happier moments.... The art was especially stunning though, best so far. Would LOVE a print of one of the underwater scenes when Stel and Marik are swimming.

Saga got my vote this week, but I also picked up East of West #15 this week and if that was on the poll I would definitely have picked it, was a f*cking great issue!
    Last edited by ysemaj; 09-25-2014 at 08:09 AM.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Here's how it stacked out this week from best to worst:

Chew #43
    Outcast #4
    Saga #23 (controversial opinion here. Be warned)
    Wayward #2

Chew was fantastic as usual, but that ending shot man... holy crap, best cliffhanger this week easily.
    Outcast was good, but dammit man, get going with the darn story already! You made the characters great, now tell a story with them!
    Wayward has potential, but it needs more work and smoothing out of the rough edges.

Now, you maybe wondering about the Saga review if you do read it. Apparently, commentors yelled and told me the next issue is one shot or something and that this issue was the end of the arc. So... ignore all comments about me saying this was setup and bump the score up slightly. My mistake and I apologize... though I maintain a lot of my criticism towards other parts of the book.

Saga #23, mostly because I love it when writers are evil enough to have characters make the mature, morally upright decisions, then screw them over anyway.

I was most impressed by Wayward since I thought that was a big improvement over the first issue, and the series is so new that it feels comparatively fresh. Saga and Chew have set such a high standard that they have to be absolutely phenomenal to really stand out, and those series are both in that kind of middle/late arc position where it's more setup for what is to come. I'll vote for Wayward since I probably had the best experience reading that issue, but Saga and Chew are of higher quality. I added back Umbral after initially dropping it, and basically plan to ride out this dull arc in hopes the series will pick up again soon.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Really? You two sure? It was... alright I suppose. It had an interesting ending, but honestly, it was just kind of average and felt like I was watching a typical TV drama or soap opera most of the time (it also felt a bit rushed in some parts). Also, I rather disappointed that a certain someone didn't die (some of these problems could have been easily avoided if it wasn't for this person), thought that's a personal thing. Honestly, it's just kind of a weak outing and feels like just setup for the finale when will really take off.
    Of course I meant it, why else would I post that? It's not like I wrote that to ruffle the jimmies of the haters . I loved everything about this issue.

Starting with the first page, I was pleasantly surprised that BKV and Staples didn't open with some over the top ridiculous scene for the introductory page. I loved the whole segment and was glad that Marko didn't make a decision that would haunt him forever, I was really riveted for the whole time . I guess I cared more about the character than I thought. Very nice way to wrap up Marko and Ginny's storyline. Next, Hazel is so freaking adorable!!!! Just want to pinch her cheeks and hug her forever and ever. Excellent exchange between Izabel and Alana and loved the way she called Alana out. IMO the last few issues set up this issue very nicely and it's now all coming together. Loved the way the issue ended with Prince Robot and Marko finally meeting. It appears they will now have to work together to be with their loved ones again. This next arc will be a defining moment in Marko's and Prince Robot's relationship and I'm dying to see where this all goes. A traveling road story for the next arc with Prince and Marko will be fantastic, there's endless possibilities that BKV can craft for this arc. My love for this title has hit a fever pitch, loved how this issue tied everything together and now I'm anxiously awaiting the next ish. I have never been this anxious for a comic in all my time of reading comics ever.

Went with Wayward. Liked how this series has been going so far. I'm hooked for the opening arc and possibly beyond. Saga was fantastic but I wanted to give Wayward some love.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Went with Wayward. Liked how this series has been going so far. I'm hooked for the opening arc and possibly beyond. Saga was fantastic but I wanted to give Wayward some love.
    Yes Wayward was very good. Very good week for me.

Anybody have a chance to read Roche Limit yet? Thoughts on it?
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)