Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vonter Voman View Post
    So this issue is basically tumblr against 4chan. That's pretty accurate, actually.

Agreed. Which is kinda sad, because "Wonder Woman rockstar" is a cool concept and one of the best things that could come up from uncannon stories. Wasted.
    omg so accurate it hurts

*thinks back to earlier in azz's run where diana's listening to metal \m/ lol
    now that i think about, i very much like the concept of diana shredding on a jackson randy rhoads v guitar lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vonter Voman View Post
    And that's pretty much tumblr. They are up in arms about Emma Watson's speech because feminism "is not about men" and they don't want "allies". This is the trend on virtual social justice now. Weird, huh?
    well everyone has their reasons, I think is fine unite men and women for fight for equal rights. But also: when men are feminist they are championed, if women are feminists well good luck with threats and hacks.
    see how quickly this discussion turned to be about the guys, not how women live with this almost every of their lives. it's only a issue of a digital comic.

Spectacular Member

Well, that wasn't great. I suppose if you're a young kid who thinks being a pop star is super-cool you may enjoy this, but give me an actually superhero Wonder Woman any day. This reimagining has Diana as a moody mare, super-judgemental of a guy just for being honest about his attraction to her - shouldnt Diana appreciate truth?

Mind, him turning on a dime and deciding to shoot her was a bit corny. I know it's the US, full of gun nuts, but still.

I was surprised by the strong views on Diana's streetwear; OK, she was showing a lot of leg and a bit of chest, but nothing you don't see in your average office. At least here in the UK.

It's all very well Sean Williams having a back story for Steve that he'd love to tell us in a sequel, but knowing this is a venue for one-off tales, he shouldn't leave dangling stuff. I can't say I found this take on Diana compelling enough to merit a sequel. I did like the diner scene, though, and the art is terrific.
    How ironic (choke)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    My fear is less about the fictional man in the book and more about the real people reading it.
    I'm morbidly curious to see how far it can go.

This is wrong on many levels.

First, I disagree that he has no obligation to defend her rights. Legally this may be true, but eithically it should be the duty of any citizen to champion the rights of another.
    He has no obligation to defend the choices she makes in her life, you keep acting like it's her rights under attack an not her choice. In a mob full of adoring fans one guy decided to call her a "slut" because he felt her choice of attire was inappropriate in light of being a role model for kids.

Wondy's counter was essentially that she doesn't think about others when she dresses herself. What if she desires to forgo the shorts and cleavage for a bra and thong? She has the right to do just that, would she also retain immunity to criticism because she's a woman and says she doesn't care what others think?

Likewise, criticizing that man for calling her a "slut" isn't attacking his right of free speech, but his choice in how he's using it.

Second, doing the right thing should not necessarily be about reward.
    I'm not talking about a reward, I'm talking about her condescending entitled attitude.

Third and most importantly, the message that I believe is being attempted by the writing is that standing up for a woman just because you think she is "hot" is not actually championing her rights. It is championing your personal desires. It is the equivalent of turning up to support a woman's rights rally in the hope of impressing one of the ladies there and scoring. Hardly the behavior of a hero.
    When going out of your way to defend her choices is meet with contempt based on displeasure she perceives in your motives, taking one for the team to be seen as a "hero" is not worth the strife.

You are mistaken, as I pointed out before. The man here did not come to her defence - he defended his right to be able to look at a "hot" woman. That is a clear difference.

Also, there is a saying that the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. Personal freedoms often require frequent defending, and should never be taken for granted.
    Of course he did and not doing so to her satisfaction is how he came to her attention in the first place. Not coming to her defense like everybody else in that crowd was my suggestion.

Let her defend herself.
    Last edited by Lax; 10-02-2014 at 09:30 PM.

Extraordinary Member

It's not my problem. I'm not the one under attack. Let them defend themselves. Don't get involved.

Martin Niemoller spoke about exactly this kind of thinking.

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article....uleId=10007392

Nevertheless his motives are revealed to anything but altruistic. So really what we have here is Diana being attacked twice, just on different fronts.
    Last edited by brettc1; 10-02-2014 at 09:42 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I liked Sauvage's art. Her WW was a pleasing Lynda Carter/Angelina Jolie hybrid, if you ask me. The story, however, could have made its point with tad more subtlety.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.