Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Loki Agent of Asgard #6 *Spoilers*

I'm going to have a hard time talking about this issue without devolving into a gibbering fan! This issue is so good. Loki needs his own permanent solo! I really liked some of the art.

Doom denying being afraid was great, his speech at Loki was great, but hubris is his downfall. But boy, does Doom know Loki or what?

Loki struggling with friendship and normal people is pretty funny but also sad.
    Last edited by Post Monster; 09-24-2014 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Lost in the bliss of this issue and forgot the spoiler bit in the title

BANNED

This is a good week to be a fan of Doc Doom.

But it sucks that the issues are 3.99 now. They used to be 2.99 right? Is it just for Axis?

This issue is everything I could want from the book's comeback.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monster View Post
    Loki needs his own permanent solo!
    ... is that not what this is?

BANNED

Good issue. Doom completely outsmarted and outclassed him.

Spectacular Member

Another fantastic issue! Loki's just tragic and loveable. What's not to love.

I loved his sort of sarcastic, dismissive dialog towards Doom, even while he was being severely threatened. That line where he says "Sorry, I wasn't listening", after Doom's big speech made me laugh.

Loki definitely seemed like he was on his back foot through the whole issue, but then, Loki is a trickster god, and things aren't always what they seem with him, so I'll be interested to see the next issue and what goes down. Plus there's Verity, who Loki gave that amulet to, and that in itself seems almost like a preemptive strike, since Loki realized it was Doom attacking him right away.

And Loki's plea for Verity to trust in him, and his plain admission that he's not used to having friends and not good at knowing how to treat them, was a moving, sort of heartbreaking moment.

I can't wait to see what happens next. And whatever was going on with Doom's construction workers was strange as hell too. This series continues to be fantastic as ever.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Totally agreed with the previous comments, a very good comic, I've waited long enough to continue reading this series since issue 5 and I have not read yet Thor and Loki: The Tenth Realmīs Original Sin tie-in with the whole issue of Angela, maybe later I will decide to read it.

The only complaint I have is the art, but it has not fogged a great issue that I want to see how it follows with the battle Loki/Doom plus Verity/Valeria before the appearance of the Enchantress in the issue 8.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I nice return match between Loki and Doom. Of course, I think Doom liked Fem Loki much better but here I think we have a Loki who is in over his head. I like the unique idea that Ewing has Doom come up with for his contest with Loki, a different take on the world of magic.

I think the construction workers are starting to show the hate effect of the Red Skull for the Axis tie in. So next issue will probably have Loki and Doom come together to face the common enemy

Good issue. Probably my least favorite of the series, but that's more because I liked the first arc so much and thought Ewing had better chemistry with Garbett, and not because this issue was bad or anything.

I thought Ewing wrote Doom well. I loved the idea of Doom challenging Loki to a "conversation battle," and I thought Doom's themes of magic and narrative worked perfectly to reinforce the concepts that the series has focused on all along. This book is about the power of story, and using the villain Doom to showcase that in a dictatorial way was a nice way to contrast how the villain Loki uses the power of story in a cunning way.

I thought the failing of this issue was with Loki himself. Loki seemed really weak and outclassed, and while I thought Coelho did a decent job with the art overall, I thought he struggled with Loki's facial expressions. Garbett's Loki always looked in control and attractive in a mischievious way, whereas Coelho's Loki looked kinda dumb and in over his head. I'm sure that's intentional to a degree to establish Doom as a threat and sell the cliffhanger, but this is Loki's book, and I thought he looked very unimpressive here.

I also didn't really get the point of spending so many pages with the Latverian construction workers, and thought that was a waste of time that could have been better spent with the supporting cast (Verily, Sigurd, etc).
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think the construction workers are starting to show the hate effect of the Red Skull for the Axis tie in. So next issue will probably have Loki and Doom come together to face the common enemy
    It's actually a really well done set up (it would be even better if we hadn't been spoiled already). Next month is an actual AXIS tie-in, so I think our theories are correct.

Really enjoyed the issue. Ewing's take on the actual fight was refreshing and I liked how he handled Doom. Not a fan of the art but the style did work for the most part. Good lead to AXIS as well.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    It's actually a really well done set up (it would be even better if we hadn't been spoiled already). Next month is an actual AXIS tie-in, so I think our theories are correct.
    Yes, sometimes the solicits give away too much but then I think so do a lot of movie trailers! I hope Ewing brings up the fact that back in the Silver Age, the Red Skull and Doom really hated each other, going back to the old Astonishing Tales/Super-Villain Team-Up days.

I liked it, not my favorite, but good, and it raised some interesting ideas, particularly the nature of godhood in the MU. I rambled on about it at some length on my Tumblr, It's like, absurdly long, so I'll just link: http://rayegunn.tumblr.com/post/9837...-the-nature-of (I REALLY love books that invite people to speculate, a large part of why I like Agent of Asgard so much)

And yeah, I think the construction workers are the beginning of Red Skull's 'wave of hate' and those events will likely play a much larger part next issue, so I don't think they were useless to include or anything, they're just a lead in to next issue's events.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I liked it, not my favorite, but good, and it raised some interesting ideas, particularly the nature of godhood in the MU. I rambled on about it at some length on my Tumblr, It's like, absurdly long, so I'll just link: http://rayegunn.tumblr.com/post/9837...-the-nature-of (I REALLY love books that invite people to speculate, a large part of why I like Agent of Asgard so much)

And yeah, I think the construction workers are the beginning of Red Skull's 'wave of hate' and those events will likely play a much larger part next issue, so I don't think they were useless to include or anything, they're just a lead in to next issue's events.
    I thought it was an effect of the magical duel between Loki and Doom. One construction worker believed in an unspecified god, the other Doom. Those two concepts were literally fighting through normal people, with the punches being words.

But then, I've not read up on Axis and a tie-in would make sense. But I loved this issue, best of the series, so whatever. :P

Oh, there were definitely parallels between the Doom/Loki confrontation and the construction workers, and I am sure it was intentional, driving home the driving theme of the story and all that. I do not think the Loki/Doom confrontation caused it, though.