Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    Next issue is listed at 2.99 again, meaning that this issue is simply a bizzare dollar more expensive. Perhaps it's because it's part of March to Axis.
    No it isn't. I preorder Loki: Agent of Asgard three months ahead, and paid $3.99 (less preorder discounts) for issues 7, 8, and 9. This is what Diamond has it listed at. Comixology Pull List agrees. I saw $2.99 on Marvel.com, but that site also says it's In Stores Now, so I suspect it is in need of correction.
    Last edited by Taral-DLOS; 09-26-2014 at 07:50 AM.

BANNED

Darn. Looks like I have to.choose between this and Nightcrawler next year.

Darn. Looks like I have to.choose between this and Nightcrawler next year.
    Go with this one. Nightcrawler has enough fans that it will make it's run and hit TPB; Loki isn't that fortunate yet.

Actually, as I said before, Nightcrawler will soon be selling below AoA's numbers. If you are picking based on what needs your support more, Nightcrawler does.

http://comicsbeat.com/marvel-month-t...-up-the-ranks/
    http://comicsbeat.com/marvel-month-t...d-do-you-good/ (since Loki was not in the July list due to Original Sin)

Ignoring the second issue drops, which are always large, NC is dropping like 10-12% each month, Loki is dropping at most 7%, and usually below 5%. It will also get a boost from Original Sin and Axis, and seems to do unusually well digitally, it's always on the front page of Comixology's top sellers the week it's released. While Nightcrawler started out with 49,426 compared to Loki's 41,921 they are now both at around 25,000. NC started with a lager lead but is bleeding readers MUCH faster.

Though personally, if I had to pick between them based on enjoyment, I'd choose AoA. I am a huge Nightcrawler fan, my desk has a Bowen statue of him and assorted toys, I love Kurt to pieces. But ... I've not enjoyed his solo. :-/ Though I kinda expected that. I have never liked Claremont, with the one exception of Excalibur. YMMV.

Also, they have both are at 6 issues released as of this month, and both have more solicited. So both are already safe for at least one, probably 2 trades. Loki already has enough material released for 2, if you count the 10th Realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Exactly. Don't worry about the status of the series. This has been a great run so just enjoy it! I'm bummed that Superior Foes is ending but I'm still going to enjoy the run it had.
    Well, I think it's natural that if you like something, you hope to get the most of it that you can. If it was cancelled at issue 10 (unlikely) yeah, I will have enjoyed the ride. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer 20 or more.
    Last edited by Raye; 09-26-2014 at 01:33 PM.

BANNED

Nightcrawler is confirmed through issue 12 (not sure beyond that). I'm trading my Nightcrawler codes for AXIS so I'll be picking it up through at least issue #9. From there I'm pursuing ongoing code trades, because I'd like to return to Captain Marvel and still pick up Loki/Nightcrawler.

Nightcrawler is confirmed through issue 12 (not sure beyond that). I'm trading my Nightcrawler codes for AXIS so I'll be picking it up through at least issue #9. From there I'm pursuing ongoing code trades, because I'd like to return to Captain Marvel and still pick up Loki/Nightcrawler.
    Sounds like my pull list. I have waaaay too much stuff on it, and I know when Dr. Strange/Defenders starts getting pushed I'm going to have to start picking those up (as if guardians and Inhumans getting pushed isn't eating up my budget already).

Extraordinary Member

So, it sounds like even if AoA has lost readers, it has a much more stable readership than some books. Plus, Marvel must take into account the awesome fandom-aren't we awesome Loki fans?-but also the digital sales, a figure that is so often not taken into account for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    So, it sounds like even if AoA has lost readers, it has a much more stable readership than some books. Plus, Marvel must take into account the awesome fandom-aren't we awesome Loki fans?-but also the digital sales, a figure that is so often not taken into account for some reason.
    Why yes, we are awesome fans.

So, question of the issue: Where is Doom keeping frozen Loki? He's not exactly the small interior decorating piece Han Solo was. Though he does have the matching shade of green for Doom's castle. Does Doom have his own Loki shrine somewhere in the castle? Also how long until Loki reverts to calling him Victor? And how long until Doom realizes the second signal wasn't misdirection, but Verity?

Of course we're awesome And they don't take digital into account because those numbers are not released. The best we can do is look at each week's top sellers: https://www.comixology.com/comics-best-sellers and make some vague guesses, and we sometimes hear rumors from people about a book that's doig unusually well digitally, like Ms. Marvel which apparently, from several different sources i've heard now, does absolutely mind bogglingly well digitally, selling more in digital than it does in print (which probably makes it Marvel's second top selling comic behind Amazing Spider-Man right now, which is just crazy, but cool). And digital is not something that lends itself well to this sort of tracking anyway since the orders for an issue won't all come at once, like they do with print, you kinda need more long term look at it to get a real picture of how well a book does. It is becoming clear though that digital readership does have a slightly different makeup to it than print sales, and in general books that are more popular with women and/or a younger audience do better there. I think it's safe to say that Loki does fall into a 'large female fanbase' category.

and I should clarify that, technically, print sales don't have actual sales figures released either. But there is a long standing system in place that does estimates based on Diamond's charts, which have them listed by rank and with an index number indicating how well they sell in relation to Batman. So when i say it's selling 25k, I mean it's estimated to sell about that, the real number may be higher or lower. But whatever the real number is, the sales trend is pretty clear. AoA's numbers are kinda in flux, but in a goodish way, since it's early issues are seeing a lot of re-orders and it appears retailers underestimated it's popularity initially, and it seems to be settling into a fairly steady fanbase. I mean, it's not pulling a Ms. Marvel or Hawkeye for unexpected success, but... it could be worse.

ok, back to actually discussing what's going on in the book. Doom would want to make sure he is really secure, if Loki escapes at any point over the course of THOUSANDS of years (God of Thunder made it pretty clear that AT MINIMUM 10,000 years had passed) then Loki can still bring about that hellish future. So to prove Loki wasn't responsible not only does Doom have to go back to the future, he has to go there and make sure Loki is still frozen in time. so, I'm thinking deep underground makes sense.

and we know Valeria discovers Verity at some point since un-invisibled Verity is shown talking to Valeria in the preview for next issue. So.... not long But the temporal signatures are an interesting thing to bring up, and it's further proof that King Loki is not really Loki. If Doom located his unique signature and teleported him with that.... why has he not found King Loki as well? I mean, being in Asgard can't be it, Doom knows Loki is Asgardian, so presumably would have taken the possibility that he might be in Asgard into account and had some way to detect him there. So we actually have potentially not one but TWO ways in this story to prove that Loki didn't bring about that future.
    Last edited by Raye; 09-26-2014 at 09:22 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Things are certainly changing, and part of comics surviving means that they need to find a way to keep track of those digital numbers.

I love Loki fans We have the best cosplay

Things are certainly changing, and part of comics surviving means that they need to find a way to keep track of those digital numbers.

We know good characters when we see them.

Oh, Marvel knows exactly how many digital comics they sell. They just aren't sharing that information with fans, is all I meant. I am sure Marvel does take digital sales into account when it's considering whether or not to cancel a book or not. But from our perspective, when we are trying to figure out how well it's doing, digital is a big question mark.

And as for cosplay, i have seen a lot of amazing cosplay of Loki, in his (or her, Lady Loki is very popular) many costumes. It helps that his current costume is pretty awesome. I hope it is not gone for good after Axis, I love that coat, I am a total sucker for characters wearing long coats. But I think the coat and the rest might be gone soon, sadly. I mean, I guess we did just see it get pretty badly damaged in this issue, but I mean, superheroes damage their costumes all the time, so not like that necessarily means a lot. but this is a MAGIC coat, maybe harder to replace. God of Thunder #25 seemed to indicate a new Esad Ribic designed costume is coming up, which seems to borrow elements from a lot of costumes he's worn over the years, plus a heavy dash of Thor's armor, but gold instead of silver, which is odd. But more fodder for the cosplayers, I guess!

Extraordinary Member

I love Lady Loki cosplay! You can never go wrong with it. The new "good" Loki costume is a little weird for me, but I too love the coat too much.

The preview we got from Esad Ribic is showing longer horns...I guess Loki won't be changing, which is rather sad.

The new "good" Loki costume is a little weird for me, but I too love the coat too much.
    He's been watching too much Saint Seiya.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monster View Post
    He's been watching too much Saint Seiya.
    I don't think it's that bad LOL