Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why is the Question considered crazy?

I'm a huge fan of the Justice League animated series and find it's portrayal of the Question entertaining. However, one thing that sticks out to me is how the Question is dismissed as a crackpot with nutty theories. Keep in mind this is a universe, with aliens, gods, sorcerers and talking gorillas. Not to mention a government that really is keeping secrets from the public. Anyone want to offer up their theories as to why that is, since I haven't read any comics with the Question in them.

penetrator of things

because conspiracy theorists are always crazy.
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    because conspiracy theorists are always crazy.
    lol yeah but like I said is he really that crazy in a universe like this. And its not just that. The characters (save Huntress) seem to really hate him. Why? Is it the whole snoopy detective thing? That can't be it because they seem to like Batman just fine (well more than Question anyway).

penetrator of things

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    lol yeah but like I said is he really that crazy in a universe like this. And its not just that. The characters (save Huntress) seem to really hate him. Why? Is it the whole snoopy detective thing? That can't be it because they seem to like Batman just fine (well more than Question anyway).
    The Question, in JLU, was just more like...paranoid. He'd spout stuff that would seem to be nonsense, often without evidence or proof until much later on. Pretty sure Batman even said something about the Question being a bit too nuts. Batman's paranoia is usually backed by facts.

The whole Huntress/Question relationship in JLU is a call-back to the "Cry for Blood" story arc, where the Question tries to help Huntress become a better person and hero, less violent, etc.
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Fantastic Member

His logic is not like Earth logic.

BANNED

He shows signs of intense paranoia, bordering on schizophrenia. In the medical sense, he is crazy.

Incredible Member

Just because you're paranoid, does not mean they're not really after you.

They should've brought good ol' Vic Sage back instead of that new, annoying mystical question, and added the "Conspiracy Theorist of Super-heroes" part in.

Member in Disguise

He's basically percieved by most as the Fox Mulder of the DCU.
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zhris View Post
    He's basically percieved by most as the Fox Mulder of the DCU.
    If he was written more like Mulder, I'd be all over that book.

It is a take more based on the Charlton version that the DC one. That said he might be crazy but he was often right. Batman used him to look into things.

BANNED

The Question is chaotic paranoia, Batman is organized paranoia.

Sometimes Batman needs someone crazier than him to get to the bottom of things. They both suffer from apophenia. Batman is just short-sighted to his own rogue's gallery, while the Question accuses everyone.

The Question is seen as irrational because he exists in a universe where super heroes are public knowledge and conspiracies are blown wide open on a daily basis. He's actually a fragile person who's overwhelmed by his environment. The new Jessica Cruz is very similar.

Amazing Member

The same reason why not many people believed there was an Atlantis in the new 52 until they attacked?

He also spouted some Ayn Rand at Lex in one episode. Which was a call back to Ditko's other fedora wearing vigilante Mr. A. Who was the real inspiration for Rorschach. He wore a black and white suit and had a black and white good or evil worldview. There was no middle ground. Though Rorschach was a far more extreme version of Mr. A.

In one episode The Question tells Luthor: "Everything that exists has a specific nature. Each entity exists as something in particular, and has characteristics that are part of what it is. A is A, and no matter what reality he calls home, Luthor is Luthor."

Not a fan of Rand myself but I guess you could say this speech adds to the Question's "crazy" persona, so I'm ok with it.

BANNED

You can't remove him from Ditko's brain. The Question has plenty of Objectivist views. It's just part of his personality. Rhorshach is based on the Question, though. Mr. A is an obscure character. When Moore created Watchmen, he was adapting Charleton heroes because DC didn't want him killing off all those recently acquired characters. He just reimagined them. Mr. A was never an acquisition, it was the Question.