Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member in Disguise

Default We don't need another Crisis

It seems like one of the driving factors of most of the Crises/Flashpoints/etc is to 'clean up' the status of the DCU; continuity gaffes, the 'is there/ isn't there' aspect of MultiHyperVerse, and generally just getting all their ducks in a row. Most of these events (objectively speaking) have only served to add to the confusion.

Many of the things that caused a need for CoIE happened as a result of the natural progression of the titles; things happened in various story arcs, and over time the inconsistencies became so many that drastic measures were called for. Enter Crisis on Infinite Earths. And it worked... for a time. LoSH notwithstanding (which should be excluded, being as heavily invested in time travel as it is), the post-CoIE universe for the most part fit together and made sense. But as the old glitches in the system returned, DC decided another patch was required; Zero Hour. Since then, we've had at least half a dozen re-castings of the DCU; each trying to correct the faults of the previous one, while usually just adding new ones requiring a future adjustment. Wouldn't it be easier (although, I admit, not as profitable) to fix these in situ? Each title could fix the anomalies it caused, and as long as the channels keep open communication and respect each others' plot trajectories, we could have harmony in the multiverse.

EDIT: In reading that over, it occured to me... DCU is the Matrix!
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

Fantastic Member

There was never any need for "events" to fix continuity problems. DC uses the events for that because it's a big way to make them seemingly "relevant" without necessarily getting in the way of all titles.
    Last edited by NeonZ; 05-26-2014 at 04:34 AM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Yes, we do.

Not a complete one. Not another total relaunch. But there are considerable swaths of the New 52 universe that NEED some serious housecleaning.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by zhris View Post
    EDIT: In reading that over, it occured to me... DCU is the Matrix!
    I had that thought when they "corrected" the Teen Titans and Batwoman trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The thought of that song went through my mind too.

If a crisis can get rid of the Nu52 universe, then I would be all for it. I think the DC crises have done more harm than any good in the past, but the Nu52 REALLY needs to get its act together.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 05-24-2014 at 07:25 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I was hoping we'd leave stuff like CoIE behind.

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    If a crisis can get rid of the Nu52 universe, then I would be all for it. I think the DC crises have done more harm than any good in the past, but the Nu52 REALLY needs to get its act together.
    Agreed. The New 52 needs to go away and never come back.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    There was never any need for "events" to fix continuity problems. DC uses the events for that because it's a big way to make the seemingly "relevant" without necessarily getting in the way of all titles.
    Except for maybe Zero Hour.

Events usually have been done to spur sales and that is done by changing the situations in the books either temporarily or permanently. Relevancy or whatever excuse don't play a hand in their decisions.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    There was never any need for "events" to fix continuity problems. DC uses the events for that because it's a big way to make the seemingly "relevant" without necessarily getting in the way of all titles.
    Exactly. The first Crisis was not needed, either. What DC did with COIE is they fixed what wasn't broken. The only fix for DC would be to go back to Pre-Crisis and take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    The only fix for DC would be to go back to Pre-Crisis and take it from there.
    But..but..that would mean going back to classic costumes! The world can't handle good costume designs!
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

But..but..that would mean going back to classic costumes! The world can't handle good costume designs!
    QFT.

There's a reason why they always revert to the iconic designs or a variation thereof...

BANNED

no we need more lines and high collars XD

maybe not another crisis exactly, but a good event to shake things at DC