Page 16 of 246 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So I found this post on tumblr about BGM's Steph and, well,

http://redundantthinking.tumblr.com/...veryone-in-the

I mean do any Steph fans feel this way? That she was 'declawed'?
    To a large extent yes. That series did ignore her earlier accomplishments and skills, and it changed her character in many respects.

But it unfortunately had to do that, because War Games overshadowed everything that she had ever done that was good and she had never been allowed to have any sort of redemption beforehand. Then editorial mandate had Batman deliberately force her to repeat the same mistake at the end of the Robin series.

So there was no way to write her other than as starting fresh. And her personality changed as well. True-she lost the anger issues she had, but that was because she chose to lose it. She started acknowledging her own failings and working on them instead of blaming everyone else, and the anger she felt towards everyone went away. That's when she chose to 'represent hope' instead of just being another vigilante.

And it was after that change and that earning of respect that her past as Spoiler could begin to be treated with respect. 'I dated Robin. For five minutes I was Robin. That has to count for something.' And 'I was trained by the actual most dangerous people in the world.'

If you look at her first fight in issue 1 she's actually a lot more brutal in how she fights, deliberately breaking a guy's leg. She isn't fazed by a guy holding a gun at her, and she doesn't even look at him when throwing a batarang at him. Then in a flashback to when she was still Spoiler she was shown being a mirror image of Cass. Her fighting skills didn't improve-her style just changed and with the change in attitude people started noticing that she was actually pretty good.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

That blog post has some good points, but it also misses the entire point of Stephanie as Batgirl. Steph's turn as Batgirl was a leap of faith-- and the whole idea that she was 'RAGE, BURNING RAGE' is actually completely wrong. Yeah, she was all about the vengeance at first for a while, but up to the point that Stephanie became Batgirl, that hadn't defined her for a long, long time. She didn't become Robin because she was mad at her dad. She didn't continue into vigilantism after her dad was locked up because she was mad at her dad. She didn't become the Spoiler again because she was mad at her dad. No, indeed, she did all of that stuff to attempt to prove herself as a better hero; but the thing is, because of the anger, she ended up screwing up. Part of that was Bruce's fault, but it was majorly on the shoulders of Steph. Batgirl was about taking her past and throwing it away, taking the anger and flushing it down the drain. It was about becoming a symbol of hope that the bat was supposed to be, and embracing it. And it took Steph a good bit to get there, but get there she did. It was gradual. It was development. BQM's Batgirl redefines Stephanie Brown. It doesn't take everything that made her, well, her and throw it away. She always was the 'girl next door in the vigilante suit.' Also, all the points the blogger makes about Cass are kind of... irrelevant. And I could counter each and every one of them-- actually, you know what, I will.

Steph saying that Babs was the only one that didn't give up on her; this is true. From Steph's point of view. Bruce died, and Cass left. Cass gave up on Gotham and Steph felt like she gave up on her. Boink that noise.

Steph "forgetting" about Cassandra. She didn't forget about her-- she didn't want to think about her supposed best friend that, as far as she knew, gave up on her.

Cass giving Steph the mantle. This was a retcon I didn't entirely enjoy, but I actually got it. Cass and Bruce both wanted Steph to be the best that they can be. So... what happened, happened.

Why does it matter that they didn't focus on the poverty thing? Her mom got over her drug issues and she had a cooshy hospital job. Steph's schooling was probably paid for by the Wayne foundation.

I don't recall it ever saying that she became Spoiler to impress Tim? The did, however, stay as Spoiler to impress Robin.

They didn't 'declaw' or 'dexperience' Stephanie. In the slightest; she was actually one of the best members of the batfamily IN GENERAL during this book.

And, lastly, the Timsteph stuff. They both threw each other under the bus. They were both upset with one another. But you know what? During the Batgirl/Red Robin crossover, they obviously still love the hell out of each other. They were just mad.

So... yeah.

Extraordinary Member

So....at this point it looks like Eternal is going to end in a similar way to how the original Detective Comics origin story ended. I don't see Steph having a problem being accepted this time around, though.

Anyone know what the plans fir Steph are post eternal?

Ultimate Member

Well judging by the hints that they've been dropping about Eternal 2.0, I wouldn't be surprised if she played a role in that book.

Didn't Stephanie's death (in War Games/War Crimes) drive a wedge between Batman and Leslie Thompkins?

(Yes, I'm aware THAT was retconned out,but still . . .)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Didn't Stephanie's death (in War Games/War Crimes) drive a wedge between Batman and Leslie Thompkins?

(Yes, I'm aware THAT was retconned out,but still . . .)
    It was first revealed that Steph died specifically because Leslie refused to administer the treatment that would have saved her. Batman was naturally furious at her deliberately letting a teenager die and threatened to turn her over to the authorities if he ever saw her again. When it turned out that Leslie had given her the life-saving treatment and faked her death to get her out of the country Batman's reason for being furious disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    Anyone know what the plans fir Steph are post eternal?
    No. There's a big question of where she's going to live. Her mother was in on this city-destroying plot as well, so she'll either be in jail or on the run. Being the daughter of the people who destroyed Gotham is also going to be a hell of a stigma to overcome. Someone in the bat-family is going to have to take her in. I hope that she doesn't end up staying at Harper Row's place, but that seems the most likely answer.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    There's a big question of where she's going to live. Her mother was in on this city-destroying plot as well, so she'll either be in jail or on the run. Being the daughter of the people who destroyed Gotham is also going to be a hell of a stigma to overcome. Someone in the bat-family is going to have to take her in. I hope that she doesn't end up staying at Harper Row's place, but that seems the most likely answer.
    Agreed. It seems like that is where this is going. Sadly I haven't warmed up to Harper Row. Maybe Steph could just get sent to college or Gotham Academy, whichever is appropriate. There was that blond girl living with Carrie Kelley in the Batman and Robin comic...

Extraordinary Member

Spoiler has a big role in Detective Comics Endgame. Apparently Gotham's kids are already in awe of her. And Batwoman has her on speed dial. Seems she's established as part of the family.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 03-25-2015 at 09:51 AM.

So Steph's showing up in Catwoman. I hope she gets a little payback on Black Mask.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    So Steph's showing up in Catwoman. I hope she gets a little payback on Black Mask.
    What issue? I might want to check it out.

Alexander (not)Luthor Jr AlexG.'s Avatar
    Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground (My house)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickfighter View Post
    What issue? I might want to check it out.
    Issue 42

CATWOMAN #42
    Written by GENEVIEVE VALENTINE
    Art by DAVID MESSINA
    Cover by KEVIN WADA
    TEEN TITANS GO! Variant cover by BEN CALDWELL
    On sale JULY 8 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+
    Retailers: This issue will arrive in stores with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    Everything Selina Kyle accomplished as both crime boss and Catwoman is about to be ruined when Stephanie Brown makes a guest appearance!

Catwoman #42. Valentine's whole run starting with #35 is really good and with checking out.

Thanks, Alex G. and Joy Beans!

So, from the August solicits, it looks like Spoiler will be sticking around in Catwoman for a while. Which is fine by me because Valentine's Catwoman book is great, and I'm keen to see how she writes Steph.