Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Come on it's not really a double standard. Having her show up in another title makes it obvious that UA is just one big alt reality clusterfuck since she is dead as **** in UA. It's not really the same with Havoc being alive in UA.
    *grumble grumble* :/

Pietro is really starting to grow on me, I never really cared much for him before now. I'm still trying to like Danger, though, but I'm curious: is she actually considered a mutant? On account of her being a program that somehow gained sentience or because she can do things that no other machine can?

The orson scott card stuff maked sense and was fun to see. The video bit reminded me of a cross between the Lonely Girl 19 videos and the one video that circulated awhile back of the father shooting his daughters computer because she was bitching about her parents on facebook. I still don't love the art in this book but I love the fact that I can pick up a bok and read it with out needing to know what is going on in the rest of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Spasticat View Post
    *grumble grumble* :/

Pietro is really starting to grow on me, I never really cared much for him before now. I'm still trying to like Danger, though, but I'm curious: is she actually considered a mutant? On account of her being a program that somehow gained sentience or because she can do things that no other machine can?
    I'd say she is a mutant because she became more than what she was originally.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    sure, i hope this is helpful.

gambit sounds too intelligent at some times, but not intelligent enough at others. for example, he can't think of "mandate" - he's saying things like "he may not be inclined to speak with us" less than a page later.

danger makes fun of warlock for not using personal pronouns, but yet she doesn't know how to use contractions. is this intentional or not, because it isn't clear.

the branding of this book is off-putting. they are x-factor, and they work for this serval industry. but nothing visually connects them to the x-men universe really. they wear little cats on their clothes and it is distracting. i'm not saying they need an x, but they shouldn't have any logo at all if that is the case.

this creep plot with havok is bothersome. i don't like that he's being featured here at all to be perfectly honest with you. if the UA characters are off-limits because of planet x then that is how they should stay. it isn't fair that havok gets to be used to stalk lorna in this book, yet rogue isn't allowed to be used anywhere else.

othewise, i think the dialogue is fine and the mix of characters is interesting. just not a book for me the way it is currently produced.
    I'm pretty certain Gambit's struggling for the word mandate was meant to show how worked up he was, he's shown as being very out of sorts in this issue. The way he handles Georgia's denial is a good example of this.

Contractions are not necessity for properly speaking English, personal pronouns (for English) are, though other languages and cultures do not use personal pronouns or their use is not necessary in certain situations.

As for Havok, I'm sure PAD has a plan for this and good reason for the whole thing. For one it gives another dimension to Quicksilver's relationship with Lorna and the team. It also shows his duplicitous nature.

There's also plenty of reasons for Rogue NOT to be used .. Like... The fact that she's DEAD.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    I don't think it's necessary that she be a mutant though she views Charles as he Father so...

But Warlock isn't technically a mutant either. He's an alien. The same goes for a lot of the students/others at the Jean Grey school (kid gladiator, doop, Broo)

I believe Danger is not a mutant. Warlock though I believe is considered a mutant. First it was because he went against the rest of his people in not desiring to kill his father like all members of the Technarchy and then New Mutants #74 (per wiki) revealed he was in fact a mutant of his race although he hasn't actually shown any powers beyond those shared by the rest of the Technarchy.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

I believe Danger is not a mutant. Warlock though I believe is considered a mutant. First it was because he went against the rest of his people in not desiring to kill his father like all members of the Technarchy and then New Mutants #74 (per wiki) revealed he was in fact a mutant of his race although he hasn't actually shown any powers beyond those shared by the rest of the Technarchy.

Thank you for sharing that. It's been a while since I read the series. It'd be nice to know exactly what his mutant power is but oh well.

The others however are simply aliens (in not certain Broo's intelligence alone is enough to make him a mutant)

So, while it's never been outright said that Danger is a mutant, it hasn't been said that she isn't one either.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Yeah, Warlock and Broo have both been specifically described as mutants (alien mutants obviously) for the same reason: not being murderously innately violent like the rest of their race. Born different.

I have to say, I like it when the X men have some non homo superiors on the team. It broadens the storytelling possibilities a bit.

I wonder did the issue seem a bit short because it was good, and we all want the next bit of the story? It wasn't particularly decompressed by modern standards. How long until the next issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Yeah, Warlock and Broo have both been specifically described as mutants (alien mutants obviously) for the same reason: not being murderously innately violent like the rest of their race. Born different.

I have to say, I like it when the X men have some non homo superiors on the team. It broadens the storytelling possibilities a bit.

I wonder did the issue seem a bit short because it was good, and we all want the next bit of the story? It wasn't particularly decompressed by modern standards. How long until the next issue?
    Too long lol...

To compare I am currently rereading the New Mutants ( on issue 24 ) it has 23 pages, this issue of x-factor had only 20 not counting the page of recap and the front and back covers.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic Innocence View Post
    Too long lol...

To compare I am currently rereading the New Mutants ( on issue 24 ) it has 23 pages, this issue of x-factor had only 20 not counting the page of recap and the front and back covers.
    Claremont used a lot of words! I dearly love that era of NM, but I'm sure almost any comic put out this week would seem a bit lightweight in comparison. And we've been left on appalling tenterhooks. How cruel to Doug fans.

I want the next issue now is the problem for me.

Spectacular Member

I have to trust that PAD is looking to use Cypher and set up interesting stories with him. There's no way the cliffhanger will stand as a permanent situation.

Ultimate Member

Based on the solicits below, it would appear they will save the girl by the end of the next issue. However, it seems the consequences for doing so definitely flow into issue 9 and it is also possible that the trouble X-factor brings to Serval per solicits for 10 & 11 are also a result of helping this girl.

ANXF 9
    • The team faces unexpected consequences for “saving” a young girl.
    • Plus: Gambit does something naughty.

ANXF 10 & 11
    • X-Factor brings big trouble to Serval Industries…heavily-armed trouble.
    • Gambit’s indiscretion is found out.
    • Nobody is happy.
    I'm calling it now. Gambit's going to sleep with Snow's wife. She's going to seduce him as retaliation for her husband screwing around with other women.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    it makes them seem like they are working for t'challa. but that is because he's the only rich cat person i can think of. either way, good luck with the book.
    A user out there on the interwebs noted before the book launched with its first issue that Serval was the name used for Wolverine in the French translation of his comics. It's also a little fitting that Wolverine stopping Gambit from stealing something started things off.

Also, thanks for giving fuller information on things that made you not that interested in continuing to read ANXF after this issue.

Agreed. Gambit is hardly the most eloquent speaker in the MU, but it seems out of character for him to be really well spoken in one panel and hur dur dur the next. Also, I'm a little irritated at the misspelling of "Chere". If it was done deliberately to imply a phonetic sound, okay. But if you're gonna do that you may as well take it all the way and pronounce it the way actual New Orleans natives do, which is generally "Cha" or "Sha".

THAAAAAANK YEWWWW! Holy double standard, Batman! Totally not fair to Rogue! And here I was finally starting to warm up to Alex after the Uncanny Avengers annual... in X-factor he started out as being a concerned ex-lover, but now I kinda want to kick him in the cajones for sounding like his big brother and being manipulative
    About the chere element, I noticed that problem with the prior run of X-Factor too. It's kind of hard to tell where exactly problems like that slip through to the printed page. But no matter where it comes from, whether the script or the lettering or what have you, the editor should be able to catch things like that. It's not a make or break deal by any means, it's just one of those cases where it's a little jarring and takes you out of the story for a moment by reminding you it's still text someone wrote.

I wish I could say something on the Alex and Rogue stuff, but until I read the issue, it wouldn't be fair of me to do so. All I can really say is that I was concerned about his characterization in ANXF #3 (as well as Pietro's), then I felt it was handled better with ANXF #5. Between Alex, Gambit and Pietro, Lorna's surrounded by male moral authority that seems to think they know better than her. Though Pietro's still very much up in the air, and I might see stuff in ANXF #7 when I read it that completely changes my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    I find this explanation a bit hard to swallow. The base concept of being a mutant in the Marvel universe is being a human with the mutant gene activated. If we allow the definition of mutant to be nothing more than the character having changed from what they were originally, then nearly every character that got advanced capabilities by anything other than plain physical training and using weaponry such as guns or armored suits could be considered a mutant in the X-Men franchise sense of the word. I don't see any problem with Danger being part of the team and part of the X-Men franchise while not being designated as a mutant; she's an extension and build-out of the Danger Room and all. I also don't really see a problem with Warlock being part of the team either, since 1) he's tied to Doug, 2) Serval isn't really about the X-Men themselves, and 3) the group can have an element of dealing with mutant issues (hence the X in X-Factor) without necessarily having all its members as mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I'm calling it now. Gambit's going to sleep with Snow's wife. She's going to seduce him as retaliation for her husband screwing around with other women.
    She'll get him into bed by making some popcorn for him.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Incredible Member

Did anybody notice, in the panel where it focuses on Quicksilver's ear receiving Havok's commands, that Danger is looking at Quicksilver? Can she hear radio transmissions? I'm probably reading too much into the artwork, but that would be an interesting detail. Danger hasn't been the type to keep her mouth shut when she notices unusual things.

Incredible Member

Agreed. Gambit is hardly the most eloquent speaker in the MU, but it seems out of character for him to be really well spoken in one panel and hur dur dur the next. Also, I'm a little irritated at the misspelling of "Chere". If it was done deliberately to imply a phonetic sound, okay. But if you're gonna do that you may as well take it all the way and pronounce it the way actual New Orleans natives do, which is generally "Cha" or "Sha".
    I don't see anything wrong with Gambit's dialogue. Forgetting one word hardly makes him dumb, everybody has memory slips now and then. Besides the word "mandate" isn't all that common.
    And about the "Chere" thing, are you referring to the panel he talks to Georgia and calls her "Cheri"? Personally, I've always been confused by Gambit's "Chere". Granted, I'm french and not familiar with cajun speech, but the correct word to use is actually "Cheri". "Cheri" is darling, while "Cher / Chere" is dear (as in "Dear madam, I'm writing a letter etc..."). Again, I'm not familiar with the version of french cajuns speak, but if they do indeed say "chere" as opposed to "cheri", I think it's just PAD getting his french and cajun mixed up. I don't think that's a big deal, personally.