Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    I can't tell if Gambit is out of character or not. Because I don't understand the exchange. I don't know why he is saying he would not care. I'm not sure what he is referencing. This is something I would like to ask PAD, because I'm not getting it. It's believed he wouldn't care about the consequences and would help the little guy anyway, and that being a mutant hating guy isn't a factor in helping the little guy. Makes sense to me and fits his character. Though I can't take credit for the idea it was another Gambit fan who pointed it out to me. Looking at from that pov, then his comments are very much in line with his character.

Or we are just glossing over one part of the conversation that is more important to it, which is, Gambit doesn't need a reason to help someone. He doesn't need some agenda from a super hero team to want to help someone.
    Perhaps it's just a matter of confusing wording, then. I interpreted those lines of dialogue as Gambit saying the only reason he wants to help in this situation is because the father hates mutants. I'd say it's on me misinterpreting what was intended, but it looks like I'm not the only person that may not quite get it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Perhaps it's just a matter of confusing wording, then. I interpreted those lines of dialogue as Gambit saying the only reason he wants to help in this situation is because the father hates mutants. I'd say it's on me misinterpreting what was intended, but it looks like I'm not the only person that may not quite get it.
    You aren't the only one. I think Remydat probably has a much better idea of the interpretation, at least his makes sense and fits with the story where PAD is taking things that happen in rl and incorporates them into this book.

Gambit's eyes have always given him away as a mutant, even as a baby. Perhaps this is one of those things where he identifies being treated horribly by people who don't like mutants so it had resonance for him.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Finally got to read this and I enjoyed it a lot. I refuse to believe that Doug has been killed off this early in the game, so I wasn't too distressed by it. I wonder what made him have such a strong reaction to that girl -- he's not normally portrayed as so aggressive. Hopefully we'll find out next issue. I've got to say Danger is not growing on me at all.

So the previews/synopsis for the issue all said that the mutant hater had a mutant daughter, but am I right in my reading that the team did not actually know this until she turned Doug into a mummy? If they knew she was a mutant I could have maybe bought them deciding to break into her Dad's paramilitary compound based on her video, but without it it just seems like a really weird thing to do...

All they knew was the father was a wealthy well known person who is a mutant hater. They didn't know the daughter was a mutant until after she used her powers on Doug.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    I think Lorna's "Thanks for being honest," is the clue that what Gambit said was something that could potentially be interpreted as negative. If all Gambit was saying is that he would help no matter what then there would be no reason for Lorna to say that because people don't say that when someone is saying something entirely positive about themselves....
    Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Yes, it's pragmatic and it's also the fact that they don't really know the girl is in trouble....
    Agreed. I read the scene as an extension of the OSC allusion. PAD's way of saying that it's natural to be concerned about a particular issue or cause but people are more likely to be involved in ones in which they have a more personal connection or reaction. I don't think it points to any moral failing of Gambit's as it is questionable that X-Factor should be involving themselves with Georgia at all when it seems a qualified social worker would be more appropriate to assess her living situation.