Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Amazing Spider-Man #1.1

Here we are, rehashing the past again! This issue takes place right after Uncle Ben died and Peter is looking to make some cash to pay for the funeral. Dan Slott kicks things up a notch by adding in a kid who admires Spider-Man and wants to be him. Once he learns Spidey made his web-shooters he's enamored and wants to be like him. I wrote a review here if anyone is interested.

Writer Dan Slott adds just enough new elements to make this comic work. It doesn’t feel like a retread of things we’ve seen before, but an honest look at Peter’s emotional state at the time of Uncle Ben’s death.

It’s a cool way to see a more vulnerable Peter Parker as well as his growth in becoming the hero we all know and love. To strengthen the story Slott has introduced Clayton Cole, a boy genius who admires Spider-Man. The minute he finds out Spider-Man made his own web shooters he’s off and running to make his own. It’s a cool way to make Spider-Man responsible for one more thing and it directly relates to Spidey’s circus gig. By issue’s end you can see where things are going, but the most tantalizing aspect is wondering how this more emotionally vulnerable Spidey will react to such a kid.

The book ends with a cool twist. The kid who is enamored with Spidey spoilers:
    has his own costume and web shooters to go with it. Funny thing is Spidey doesn't fight crime yet so maybe this kid will be competition in the entertainment business.
    end of spoilers

What did everyone else think?
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Astonishing Member

Waited for some reviews and this is the first I've seen (skipped the spoiler). I really liked the preview in The Amazing Spider-Man #1 but wanted to see the WOM before I part with my money. Worth buying then?

Comic shop opened at 11 and was sold out by the time I got there at noon. Terrible! Had to order an online copy. Cannot wait to read this series. !!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Rhino View Post
    Comic shop opened at 11 and was sold out by the time I got there at noon. Terrible! Had to order an online copy. Cannot wait to read this series. !!!
    Damn, that's some going.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Waited for some reviews and this is the first I've seen (skipped the spoiler). I really liked the preview in The Amazing Spider-Man #1 but wanted to see the WOM before I part with my money. Worth buying then?
    I think it is. Seeing a more vulnerable and emotional Spidey is a new angle.

Damn, that's some going.
    Pretty smart idea to do this story since it recaps his origin for newbies but adds a new flavor to it at the same time.

Astonishing Member

Cheers, Nosocialize. I'll have to get it as I like stories set in the early days of a comic book hero and I've read a lot of Dan Slott's Spidey and liked nearly all of it.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I thought the issue itself was okay, my favourite part was how Slott dealt with Pete's emotional state after Uncle Ben's death. Will be getting 1.2 to see what happens next.

Damn, that's some going.
    It certainly is.

Cheers, Nosocialize. I'll have to get it as I like stories set in the early days of a comic book hero and I've read a lot of Dan Slott's Spidey and liked nearly all of it.
    The art has him as a bit more gangly too which is something I always loved from the classic stories.

BANNED

Based on the teaser story in ASM #1, I expected good things out of this and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. This is a lovingly assembled look at Spidey's earliest days and Slott does a great job of filling in new information and previously unexplored emotional details without tampering with what we already know - can't wait to see how the rest of the story unfolds!

I was surprised this had nothing to do with that mystery person who also got bit by the spider.

BANNED

I think Slott's best work comes when he has to rein himself in and work within the peremeters of established lore delivering a quality product that compliments the source material the period is set in.

As a Spidey historian, he's one of the best, as the current custodian, he's terrible. Keep him on projects like this and he's butter.

All-New Member

The Spidey historian forgot about one of the backups in ASM 400 that dealt with the morning after Uncle Ben's death. There are a few irreconcilable differences between the two different portrayals of Aunt May and Peter having breakfast. I'll post a No Prize fix later when I have more time to scan.

Some great touches otherwise. . I liked the show business angle.

Astonishing Member

Man that was a poor attempt to sympathize with Peter that Liz did. and man Flash, atleast Flash in the 2012 movie had sympathy over Peter after his Uncle Ben's death. This issue is a few days after Ben's death and Flash is still giving Peter a hard time. what the hell.

Being a long time comic book reader, I've been through this retelling before. So i wasnt real thrilled about it, wasnt going to bother with it. However, I have children now. My oldest, after rewatching the 3 spiderman movies and first Amazing spiderman, wanted to get the books. So with Amazing restarting at 1 we are now both collecting. Anyway, this 1.1 is good. I bought one for her and me. She is experinceing all of this for the first time and im there to enjoy this with her and enjoy it as well. So in the end good book.