Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    I was surprised this had nothing to do with that mystery person who also got bit by the spider.
    That story is coming as part of the main Amazing Spider-Man series after the Electro arc as a tie-in to Original Sin.

This issue? Really enjoyed it. Love Ramon's art generally and this was no different. Slott's love for Spider-Man is clear in this issue too. Can't wait for 1.2

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bertone View Post
    The Spidey historian forgot about one of the backups in ASM 400 that dealt with the morning after Uncle Ben's death. There are a few irreconcilable differences between the two different portrayals of Aunt May and Peter having breakfast. I'll post a No Prize fix later when I have more time to scan.

Some great touches otherwise. . I liked the show business angle.
    I was going to post a panel by panel comparison of the breakfast scene in ASM 400 and LTC to try to come up with a funny no prize for how both are in continuity so how...but I forgot we can't post images on here (I've never been able to at least, maybe I'm doing it wrong).

LTC and ASM 400 are both the morning after Uncle Ben died. LTC has some vagueness in that it's possible there may be a time skip, but a few touches (like the newspaper article) make the time skip theory a bit sketchy.

In ASM 400 Peter is proud that Spidey caught the burglar and thinks it'll soften the blow for Aunt May.
    In LTC Peter does not want Spidey to take credit for the Burglar's capture or be associated with it in anyway.
    I think LTC's interpretation made more sense with Peter's state of mind.
    The continuity can be reconciled as...Peter was having lots of different feels.

In ASM 400 the Daily Bugle headline credits Spidey with capturing the Burglar.
    In LTC the Daily Bugle has an entirely different front page about the capture and Spidey isn't named (as implied by Shiftman).
    This can be reconciled by ....two different editions of the Bugle? A later edition credits Spidey after an earlier edition isn't sure? Perhaps Maxie had the earlier edition.

Aunt May is in a bathrobe in ASM 400 and Peter is in a blue suit.
    Aunt May is dressed in LTC and Peter is in a brown suit.
    This one is more of a nerdy nitpick...and can be explained by changing his clothes....here is how it could have happened....

Peter comes home (as seen in LTC)..he attempts to sleep and wakes up a few hours before school (as seen in ASM 400).
    He gets dressed in his blue suit and see's Aunt May downstairs in her bathrobe. This is their first encounter since Uncle Ben died (as seen in ASM 400).
    Peter shows the second edition of the Bugle for the day which now credits Spider-Man. Aunt May goes upstairs to bed as per Peter's suggestion (as seen in ASM 400).
    Peter attempts to get some more sleep before school and changes out of his blue suit. Or he changes out of his clothes for other reasons. (my theory)
    Peter goes back downstairs since it's now time for school (and to see Max) a few hours later. He's surprised to see Aunt May up (as seen in LTC).
    Peter goes to see Max who has an earlier edition of the Bugle. (as seen in LTC)

His surprise to see Aunt May up in LTC fits in with the end of ASM 400.

One thing about the breakfest scene in LTC REALLY REALLY bothered me....if this is Peter and Aunt May's first time seeing eachother since Uncle Ben died, they aren't acting like it. This is suppose to be their first time interacting since the most important man in their lives was murdered...and while the grief is there it doesn't seem like their first meeting should be. Remember the first Tobey movie where they cried in eachothers arms?

We had a moment like that in ASM 400. That's why I like placing that breakfest scene before the LTC breakfest scene in my continuity.

That was very nerdy, but Dan Slott likes the throw the continuity card around so I think debating continuity is a very fair point.
    Last edited by Bertone; 05-07-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    I think Slott's best work comes when he has to rein himself in and work within the peremeters of established lore delivering a quality product that compliments the source material the period is set in.

As a Spidey historian, he's one of the best, as the current custodian, he's terrible. Keep him on projects like this and he's butter.
    As the current custodian, he's fine, so not seeing what you're seeing there.

As for the issue, I liked it. Liked the look into Petes emotional state after Uncle Bens death. Looking forward to the rest.

Fantastic Member

I like how Slott remembered to keep having Pete trying to figure out how to make a buck. That was really the theme of the early ASM's -- how can I make a buck on my powers, and how will the universe beat me down for trying to do so?

BANNED

I was going to mention in the ASM 1 thread that I really enjoyed that issue which, as a huge non-fan of Slott's work on Spider-Man thus far, was a huge surprise for me.

But I really enjoyed the issue, and so decided to pick up 1.1 as well.

I really enjoyed this issue as well, though I wonder how these retcons can be reconciled with Untold Tales of Spider-Man, as well as the ASM 400 story and, I'm sure, many other flashbacks or series (Amazing Fantasy 16-18).

The truth is, I think Marvel is asking its readership to accept that for whatever reason, there are subtle changes to continuity that simply aren't important enough to worry about. Consider that so for in this two-page thread, no one has yet to mention having a problem with the very clear sliding time scale in 1.1. Clayton Cole records Spidey's first outing against Crusher Hogan on what appears to be a smartphone. The gang watching Spidey's TV spectacular are doing so on a flatscreen television.

This meshes with the idea that Peter is around twenty-five or twenty-six, if I remember correctly. If we can make the leap of transposing the events of Amazing Fantasy #15 and afterwards to 2004, I think we can overlook some of the other continuity changes.

If this were a DC comic, there'd be a focus on the continuity by means of a explanatory device of some kind, i.e., a Crisis or other reboot. That's never been Marvel's thing (not that I think it's bad that DC has that approach, it makes them unique) and I think the idea of simply overlooking those small considerations is refreshing.

I'm glad to be able to enjoy a Spidey book again, even though I still have a lot of trouble with the OMD stuff. I don't blame Slott for that and have come to enjoy Superior in hindsight and am looking forward to the future of Spidey, especially Spider-Verse.

I also really like Clayton Cole's costume design and his Silver Age, alliterative name. Good stuff.

In regards to 'Clash', do you guys want him to be a recurring character? Or someone who is self contained within this arc? I know it may be too early to tell, but I'm enjoying what I've seen so far, and I think it would be interesting to bring him up in later issues.

All-New Member The Amazing Spider-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by askyla View Post
    In regards to 'Clash', do you guys want him to be a recurring character? Or someone who is self contained within this arc? I know it may be too early to tell, but I'm enjoying what I've seen so far, and I think it would be interesting to bring him up in later issues.
    Good question.

It'll be interesting to see his introduction to Spider-Man, and now that Peter's been Spidey for what I think is 10 years, we'll see where Clash ends up.

That's if he doesn't die in this arc.
    Last edited by The Amazing Spider-Man; 05-08-2014 at 11:56 PM.

BANNED

In regards to 'Clash', do you guys want him to be a recurring character?
    I'll answer that after this arc is over.
    I love his outfit though.

Loved this issue!

It was like reading Lee and Ditko stories paced in the style of Bendis and Bagley's Ultimate Spider-Man.

A winning combo!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I'll answer that after this arc is over.
    Ditto. I think he's had a good start though.

All-New Member The Amazing Spider-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Ditto. I think he's had a good start though.
    I must say that I agree.

I'm personally betting this kid turns out to be another death Spider-Man feels responsible for.

He has his own web shooters, inspired by Spidey, he has a costume, which is inspired by Spidey, he's smart, much like our Peter Parker. I think they're just building up his character for a tragic death, and ending with Petey going "Gee, everything bad that has happened is because of Spider-Man." or something along those lines.

Amazing Member

The only problem with bringing Clash back is that we then get into a situation where in Peter doesn't mention or think about Clash for 15 years (or however long has passed since AF#15) and then he's suddenly back. No, I imagine Clash is going to meet a tragic end and help railroad the younger, arrogant Parker onto the path we know he ends up on.

Or he'll turn out to be the Shocker in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by The Conductor View Post
    The only problem with bringing Clash back is that we then get into a situation where in Peter doesn't mention or think about Clash for 15 years (or however long has passed since AF#15) and then he's suddenly back. No, I imagine Clash is going to meet a tragic end and help railroad the younger, arrogant Parker onto the path we know he ends up on.
    Slott has mentioned that the events of Learning to Crawl dovetail into the main ASM series right after 1.5 wraps up. So we may see the return of Clash. Although I do agree that this has the potential to feel a little jarring.

spoilers*

Another boy-genius makes his own webcasters? I don't like this already.

Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

A nice modern retelling of Spider-Man's origin by Dan Slott, a man who has become quite the legend within Spidey scribes. I was a bit weirded out by the old school art and clothing mixed with a kid holding an iPhone, but other than that the book was aces and I really enjoyed revisiting Spidey's (newer) origins which leads me right into Amazing Spider-Man where I can go into the book almost as if I haven't skipped a step. Was this book perfect? No. But all in all it was a fun read and I look forward to more issues.

I do have a question, though: Is this a mini or an ongoing?