Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Rei View Post
    I remember when he asked everyone to send him a postcard from wherever in the world they were. I sent him a postcard of the shinkansen (bullet train) with Mount Fuji and cherry blossoms in the background. I felt so happy when he said he received it, I felt like I was representing Japan to a very good and kind person. It's unfortunate I wasn't able to see my postcard among all the others he received, but at least he had them, a representation of us all.
    I fondly remember this as well. I was pretty excited to send a postcard of the Amsterdam Montelbaans Tower to him and Bev, in some part because it was the first time I actually sent mail abroad.

Yes, I have fond memories of xgeek. When I started posting in X-Cres all those many moons ago, he was one of the first regulars to welcome me and just chat away without reservations or prejudice. I appreciated the fact that he was one of few X-Posters who had been buying the books since the 1960s, and that he'd stuck around with the merry mutants for so long. I agree with those above who have said that he was like an online grandfather to us.

I was unaware that he had passed away, until today. A year late, and for that, I feel bad. But here's to you, Clarence. Your passing was too soon, but what you have passed on to each of us in Cres is inextinguishable.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

I remember xgeek52 pretty well. I'll apologize for not posting this earlier, as I'd forgotten some of the details and wanted to get this as accurate as possible (as opposed to posting and then correcting myself later).

He was a great person to talk to. For me, who was overseas for lengthy periods for the first time, it was a bit overwhelming at first. But he was one of those who I could talk to, listen to, and appreciate as an online entity... which made my transition to being away from the US much easier. That he mentioned a lot of things in his life (such as the weather, what he was drinking at the time) made him a more "real" friend to me.

I also contributed to his postcard collection. I never got that kind of request before so I took it upon myself to represent the country which I was dutifully defending as a member of the US military. I sent him a postcard of Gyeongbokgung Palace, the most famous palace in Seoul, Republic of Korea. I vaguely remembered answering many questions he had about the Gyeongbokgung palace, which I'd actually frequented a few times myself. It felt like I was a tourist guide and representative of Korea, even though I'm not Korean.

xgeek52, you are and will continue to be missed. I know myself, and a few others, will continue on with you in our minds.
    Last edited by Wedge Antilles; 09-28-2014 at 07:20 PM.

I didn't know him but I've read some of his posts. My condolences to his family.

Xgeek was a poster I grew up with on the boards. When I first joined CBR back in 2007 (wow time flies), I was still in high school and still had a lot to learn about things. While others were not so nice, Xgeek had the life experience and advice that left me feeling better after hearing what he had to say. Xgeek bettered myself, and everyone else he spoke to and he will be missed.

He was the best of us

RIP Xgeek
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.