Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In Honor of xgeek52

Hello, all. I have a bit of a story to tell.

When I joined these forums, I did it largely for answers to comic book questions and an outlet for discussion. For some reason, some reason I don't recall, I eventually branched out into the chat thread of X-Crescence. Over the years, the identities of those who frequented the thread changed, a seemingly forever-shifting roster of "regulars", but everyone who posted in the thread for any length of time can tell you why they stayed--they loved the community and camaraderie within the thread. But despite all the changes over the years, one face remained constant the entire time I knew of X-Cres's existence--the poster xgeek52.

xgeek, or Clarence, was like a man in a rocking chair on a porch, with a spare chair and a spare glass of lemonade next to him, asking you to stop by and tell your tale. Though any of us who talked with him will tell you his preferred drink was tea. *sips tea*

He always wanted to know who people were and how things were in their lives. He never seemed to favor anyone in particular, and he always went out of his way to greet new posters or check in on the problems people were having--how the new job is, how you're adjusting to moving, what's up with the new baby, etc. He was always made sure to know, and always made sure to reply calmly and fairly. He was like a great neighbor, a small town preacher, a longtime colleague--the type of person that gives you his hand to help pull you up and gives you his ear to voice your successes and failures, your pleasures and complaints, and all in between. He was the rock that kept X-Cres steady. I know he posted in Rita's as well. I know he posted in various threads within at least the X-Books and Community forums, again bringing an even-handed approach to any discussion. But it was his presence in X-Cres that mattered most to me.

He was always supportive of our schooling--those of us who were going through school at the time. He was always supportive of forging relationships--I'm sure he'd be particularly pleased that Ms.Lockheed and I have come to establish a deep, personal relationship in person, because it was something he encouraged in his own way. He was always supportive of people with families--if he knew someone was married or in a serious relationship or had a newborn child, he frequently asked how those family members were. He was always a person you could turn to for advice, about love or jobs, about people or politics. He always listened, and listened well. He always brought a dry humor, often making his own fun. He brought levity and calm from the chaos of our lives. If anyone embodied the spirit of what the new CBR should be, it was him.

I never had the opportunity to truly know xgeek, or his wife Bev. She posted a few times on his account, particularly if someone had mentioned her in conversation, and showed a bit of enthusiasm and ferocity, contrasting xgeek's cool demeanor. One year, I tried to provide drawings for the various CBR people I had grown attached to. xgeek was among them. He could've chosen for me to draw anything he wanted, but couldn't think of anything. Bev could, though. She wanted me to draw him. So I did the best I could using his CBR profile picture. He told me she loved it and hung it on the fridge.

Bev died in December of 2012. Many of us offered our condolences. I tried to make the effort to reach out to him, to post more, just so he could have someone to talk to, like he'd always given us.

I received a message on this day last year on Facebook. His niece wanted everyone who knew him to learn the terrible truth--that he had taken a turn for the worse and had passed away.

Due to the way certain settings work, I didn't see the message until March. So I thought I'd offer this thread, one year later, as a memorial. I couldn't be there for you when you needed me, xgeek. But I hope all is well now. I hope you found Bev again and found true peace.

Rest in peace, Clarence. If anyone deserves eternal paradise, it's you.

*does the snoopy dance*

All-New Member

It saddens me to no end that such a sweet person had so much pain, but he was surrounded by loved ones every day and loved to visit us online. Both Bev and Clarence had a good humor and unbelievable devotion towards each other, evident in the way he talked about her. Even when I (boozier) was showing my depraved morals, he found humor in it and poked fun every once in a while, but it was never too harsh (unlike some people...teddyeatsyourface!). I will sip a bourbon on the rocks in his honor tonight, as he did for Bev (although that was a lot more than just sipping).

Very well said. He was such a wonderful soul. I remember when I first joined, and he put up with all those stories I told as a college freshman. He was definitely one of the best posters ever to post on these boards, and he will be sorely missed.
    X-23|ROGUE|EMMA FROST|ARCHANGEL|RAT QUEENS|WONDER WOMAN|OYA|PIXIE|THOR|STORM

I'm kind of sad that there are only three (now four) posts here after an hour. xgeek was kind and always there for anyone to talk to.

BANNED

He was great. Charming and friendly. He made it a more intimate place.

Veteran Junior Member Wolvie616's Avatar

XGeek was an example for me on what it meant to be a person of kindness and patience growing up, especially during high school. All it took was one look at the way he sat through all the craziness X-Cres could bring with that wry humor and advice to give us to be inspired to be a better person.

Like Joe said, he was patient, considerate, caring, humorous, and no one had a better pulse on what was going on in the boards than he did. If we can be half the person he was, this board and heck, our real life communities in general will be a better place for it.

Godspeed Clarence. I hope that you and Bev will be happy together in the next life

BANNED

He was everybody's grandpa. You couldn't not like him. The world needs more like him.

BANNED

Xgeek was one of those people who literally did not have an ego to flaunt. he was nice to everyone, and at my worse he would pm me with kind words to not take things so seriously.
    I didn't know he had passed away. he was one of the good ones.

No matter what the drama of the day was (and assuredly, on these forums, there was)... he never seemed to get wrapped up in it, ever. He dissolved tension, and didn't let personal animus drag him, down. Great dry sense of humor, too.

The more amazing part is... someone who didn't let things get personal could so often take a personal interest in others around the forum. He legitimately cared about what people were up to, whether it be a regular from somewhere down south, or a person who was just "passing through" from Europe, or someone up in the godawful hours of the night from Japan... it didn't matter. He had kind words, in between sips of tea.

He was one of the best of us, easily.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

It is with perhaps appropriate irony that I find myself, one year after xgeek's passing, currently staying in his Las Vegas city.

xgeek52 was a great person to know and talk to, even if only online. He liked everyone, and always found the time and patience to listen to them and give advice if appropriate. While I knew him, I went through some interesting personal experiences and he was always the first or one of the first to listen, or read, what I had said.

I remember when he asked everyone to send him a postcard from wherever in the world they were. I sent him a postcard of the shinkansen (bullet train) with Mount Fuji and cherry blossoms in the background. I felt so happy when he said he received it, I felt like I was representing Japan to a very good and kind person. It's unfortunate I wasn't able to see my postcard among all the others he received, but at least he had them, a representation of us all.

I feel sad for xgeek52, that his life took a bad turn near it's end. But, I'm happy he is with his wife and in peace.

BANNED

*sips his tea*

One of the nicest posters here.

Man. Being kind of new here still, it saddens me to never have met or spoken with xgeek52. Your tribute to him is very moving. It's somewhat odd that literally just this morning I was reading through the tribute thread to Captain Jim, simply out of boredom. Both seemed like great people, people I'd never gotten the chance to know and may never will.

What an age to live in: our ancestors, when they passed on, were buried underneath tombstones that would eventually crumble and erode with time, yet in the age of the Internet our legacies can be written in indelible ink. Makes one wonder about their own legacy and what people will say of them when they're gone -- even if our camaraderie is hidden behind veils of bytes and usernames!

But enough about that; xgeek52 sounds like an incredible person. I'm sorry that I never got the chance to know him here, yet hopefully we'll meet again someday!

I unashamedly loved xgeek and Bev; they were like the close aunt and uncle I never had. I still beam with pride at receiving Bev's seal of approval in the short time I got to interact with her through xgeek, and he always made time for me, even though I was new.

But I wasn't special. Geeky had so much love and understanding that we were ALL his young neighbours and friends. He had time for all of our stories, be they happy or sad, and he had wonderful wisdom to share.

Without his presence, a home is just a house, empty and cold. He was the glue that held many of us together and without him we have drifted apart, each to find our own way. We'll always remember though, and one day when its our time we'll find him waiting on the porch with a spare chair, a smile and an offer of some tea.

x

He was kind and the elder statesman of the X-board. He welcomed all and enjoyed conversation. I vividly remember a conversation me, him, and Pixie Solanas had about soap operas, it was one of the first times I entered X-Cres after being quite cautious on the X-Boards. His presence on there elevated the place. He was able to maneuver through the X-board craziness and still be the class act that was really needed sometimes. The CBR forums may be rebooted but xgeek's presence and sprit will always be treasured.

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

I didn't know him too well, since I was only part of the boards for less than two years before the reboot, but I always found his posts entertaining and insightful. He is presence that will be sorely missed, especially since there is no more X-Cres to carry on the legacy.

RIP xgeek52