Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455 LastLast

Thread: Milestone

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    I’m leaning just a touch more for him playing Icon than Hardware. I think he’d act the heck out of both characters though. He’s definitely got the range.
    Hardware would be easier to do. Since Hardware's story was about McDuffie and friends leaving Marvel to form Milestone in the first arc.

Icon's issue is that book was really about Rocket more than him.

Remember you would have to explain why he was on Earth for over 100 years and stayed out of black related issues. If you are going to stay faithful to the character.
    That is something better explained in a mini series versus a movie. Because that is going to have to be addressed.
    Unless you do a series that leads to a movie and get all that stuff out the way.

Icon would need someone like Dennis Haysbert or Avery Brooks or Levar Burton (although some of those guys need to lose some weight).

who in Milestone would you want Michael B. Jordan to be in a Milestone Cinematic Universe?
    He could be his own creation. Remember he did (or still have) a deal to do comics at Dark Horse around the hatefest surrounding Fantastic Four. He did have a character already in mind.

https://www.cbr.com/michael-b-jordan...or-dark-horse/

Two issues are done. Could that be the mystery Milestone book?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    None of those are very "sueprhero-y" - they aren't the fun fare like Black Panther of a good guy kicking a bad guy's butt. Not sure if they'd have the same mass appeal. At least not so much in the same market segment as other superhero movies.

I definitely think slavery could be covered as part of the origin story. Not sure there's time for Harlem Renaissance or Civil Rights Era (maybe each in a subsequent prequel, so they can have some time devoted to them? though he wasn't a superhero then, and I could see that changed for movie). Teen pregnancy is definitely the contemporary/modern storyline, so doable, but it's something that takes months (skipped over the bulk of it in the comics), and pulls Rocket out of the action for it if you don't skip. I think Icon suffers from two significant issues that make it more difficult than Static - first is the Superman-like origin. It's so close, intentionally so, that it may be a turnoff. That's the more minor issue. The second issue is that Icon is very much about Rocket, and I'm not how to work that in a movie (but then, there are far more skilled than I to manage it). Could make a very good ongoing series, I think, where you could have more flashbacks (ala Highlander) and move more slowly.
    You have to find a creative way to adapt the source material to the silver screen. I say you save Rocket for the sequel. Have the first movie be about Raquel Irvin helping Augustus Freeman to become ICON while also dealing with the harsh realities of teen pregnancy. In a post-credits scene, she is given the Inertia Belt, promising Rocket for the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Remember you would have to explain why he was on Earth for over 100 years and stayed out of black related issues. If you are going to stay faithful to the character.
    That is something better explained in a mini series versus a movie. Because that is going to have to be addressed.
    Unless you do a series that leads to a movie and get all that stuff out the way.
    ICON was on Earth for over 100 years because his escape pod was heavily damaged. He was waiting for human technology to develop to the point where he could use it to repair his hidden pod and return home. And also ICON was very active in black-related issues. According to ICON #25, Augustus smuggled fellow slaves in the Underground Railroad, fought for the North in the Civil War, married the daughter of a wealthy black industrialist, and helped her set up a philanthropic organization during the Harlem Renaissance. Hell, he was even seen standing next to MLK as he delivered his famous speech. Doesn't get any blacker than that.

You could deliver this all of this information to the audience through a dusty photo album, some old film reels, and some voice-over narration supplied by Augustus as he explains all of this to Raquel. Altogether, if edited properly, that could be a 15-minute scene.
    Last edited by Common Writer; 10-21-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    None of those are very "sueprhero-y" - they aren't the fun fare like Black Panther of a good guy kicking a bad guy's butt. Not sure if they'd have the same mass appeal. At least not so much in the same market segment as other superhero movies.

I definitely think slavery could be covered as part of the origin story. Not sure there's time for Harlem Renaissance or Civil Rights Era (maybe each in a subsequent prequel, so they can have some time devoted to them? though he wasn't a superhero then, and I could see that changed for movie). Teen pregnancy is definitely the contemporary/modern storyline, so doable, but it's something that takes months (skipped over the bulk of it in the comics), and pulls Rocket out of the action for it if you don't skip. I think Icon suffers from two significant issues that make it more difficult than Static - first is the Superman-like origin. It's so close, intentionally so, that it may be a turnoff. That's the more minor issue. The second issue is that Icon is very much about Rocket, and I'm not how to work that in a movie (but then, there are far more skilled than I to manage it). Could make a very good ongoing series, I think, where you could have more flashbacks (ala Highlander) and move more slowly.

Does anyone have any story pitches for any of these characters? Something with a distinct beginning, middle, and end? I'm terrible at that sort of thing.
    Icon might work better as a series rather than a movie.

Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    Exactamundo.

Except for Raising Dion. He did awkwardly insert himself to play Dion's father. I'm like: 'You couldn't pick another actor to play this role? You just had to do it yourself? Like really bruh?'

And he almost has the exact same haircut in every one of his movies too.

And here's another issue.

Static is just DC's Black Spider-Man and the average movie-going audience has already seen Spider-Man on the silver screen EIGHT times by now. Not counting the Avengers movies.

What could they possibly do with Virgil Hawkins that hasn't already been done with Peter Parker already?

It's not enough to emphasize that he's a black superhero because we've seen black superheroes on the silver screen already. So it's no longer a big deal.

What are they really bringing to the table?
    So many things wrong with this post

-Micheal B Jordan. Is one of the more marketable black actors. He didn't awkward insert himself, He put a big name actor in small project. Which always helps a small project.
    -What role require him to have a different hair cut? In Black Panther as Killmonger he had a different hairstyle, When he played Oscar Grant in fruitville station he had a different cut, When part needs a physical change he does it

Static isn't black spiderman, Static is black "superboy". Static might start at "street level" but he most certainly won't stay in that zone over time with control over his powers. Meaning he is one of the few black power fantasy character that they will have one the big screen. That alone set him a part from Spiderman, Static powerwise is literally Magneto and Black Lighting roll into one character.

Beside we haven't had live action "Black spiderman" on the big screen, We are still at Blade and Black Panther( throw in Meteorman and Steel if you want), Actually just showing a black teen as superhero is justifiable reason for project. So if it was just "Black Spiderman" Static or "Latino Spiderman" Blue Beetle it would be reason for them to be used. I mean another "White spy" "White cop" "White merc" "White superhero" hasn't stop them from putting out a movie yet why would the first black one be time to stop. I bet you it wouldn't stop a Nightwing movie from being made and he just "Peter parker" without powers.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-22-2020 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So many things wrong with this post

-Micheal B Jordan. Is one of the more marketable black actors. He didn't awkward insert himself, He put a big name actor in small project. Which always helps a small project.
    -What role require him to have a different hair cut? In Black Panther as Killmonger he had a different hairstyle, When he played Oscar Grant in fruitville station he had a different cut, When part needs a physical change he does it

Static isn't black spiderman, Static is black "superboy". Static might start at "street level" but he most certainly won't stay in that zone over time with control over his powers. Meaning he is one of the few black power fantasy character that they will have one the big screen. That alone set him a part from Spiderman, Static powerwise is literally Magneto and Black Lighting roll into one character.

Beside we haven't had Black spiderman on the big screen, We are still at Blade and Black Panther( throw in Meteorman and Steel if you want), Actually just showing a black teen as superhero is justifiable reason for project. So if it was just "Black Spiderman" Static or Latino Spiderman Blue Beetle it would be reason for them to be used. I mean another "White spy" "White cop" "White merc" "White superhero" hasn't stop them from putting out a movie yet why would the first black one be time to stop. I bet you it wouldn't stop a Nightwing movie from being made and he just "Peter parker" without powers.
    Not that I disagree with the rest of your post but we have had black Spider-Man. Miles in Into The Spiderverse.

Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Not that I disagree with the rest of your post but we have had black Spider-Man. Miles in Into The Spiderverse.
    Yeah you got to my post before made the adjustment to live action. I wasn't trying to slight Miles. But my big point in what I was trying to say we have such few movies in genre that even a "generic take" but from black perspective is a unique thing.

Plus there is a market for targeting specific group of people I mean Tyler Perry has made a career focus on Black Women, his movies might not get any another demographic in a large amount but he caters to black women and has been successful. You would love everything to appeal to everyone but it would be fine if they were just trying to primarily target a black audience. I mean something like Lovecraft country and Watchmen could clearly appeal to other demographics but it is clear the demo they were trying to win. I can't speak for others give me Icon, Blue Marvel, Calvin Ellis, etc let me see if I get tired of just "black supermen" give me Sideways, Blue Beetle,Miles,etc let me see if I get tired of "Latino spiderman".

I mean...wow.

We’ve had Black Panther so the next black superhero wouldn’t be a big deal on its own? So BP’s success was only due to him being African? My goodness.

Should we stop Ant-Man since we had Honey I Shrunk The Kids?

Why do Black Widow? Was Wonder Woman not enough for the women of the world? I mean, what more do they need?

I hope Marvel isn’t interested in doing Namor. There’s this Aquaman character that has the seven seas on lock right now.

After EIGHT Spider-Man films you’d imagine audiences must be absolutely exhausted of ol’ Petey swinging around New York.

These are sound arguments, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Icon might work better as a series rather than a movie.
    Any character would work better as a series rather than as a movie because you have the time to flesh them out.

Black Panther would have worked better as a series rather than a movie, but it still broke box office records. Did it not?

Here's a thought exercise: Let's say that you work for DC/WB...

What message are you putting out to your audience if you have your "Black Superman" on the small screen while you still got your White Superman flying around on the big screen?

ICON could be the WB's answer to the Black Panther franchise because it has the potential to be a really good Black History Month movie.

Static is the perfect start for the Dakotaverse on film. The thing about it is that he’d be the answer for nothing. He doesn’t need to be. He starred in a beloved tv show to many who are now grown and would be a beautiful opening to a new generation of kids.

Static’s visuals are a kids dream. He’s somebody they can follow as an entry point to Icon & Rocket, Hardware, etc. He’s got a life that most, regardless of ethnicity, can relate to. Add to that, he’s also got a world of characters surrounding him that would consist of so many different ethnicities due to the Big Bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    Any character would work better as a series rather than as a movie because you have the time to flesh them out.

Black Panther would have worked better as a series rather than a movie, but it still broke box office records. Did it not?
    Yes, but Icon's origin is a bit more complex than T'Challa's and would need a bit more time to truly capture the nuances.

What message are you putting out to your audience if you have your "Black Superman" on the small screen while you still got your White Superman flying around on the big screen?
    That we're willing to have a Black Superman on t.v. Most people don't view t.v. as inferior to film and a lot of t.v. shows in the last decade have garnered a great deal of critical acclaim. Daredevil and Watchmen have had both movies and t.v. shows and the shows were better received than the films.

ICON could be the WB's answer to the Black Panther franchise because it has the potential to be a really good Black History Month movie.
    And you don't think Static, a character who had his own t.v. series in the 2000s which rivaled Pokemon in ratings, would not?

The message is that one is a much bigger IP than the other (it is). Plus there have been plenty of Superman-on-small-screen (another now). And really, as long as Icon is the "Black Superman" instead of Icon, it's going to be a problem for him. Which is another advantage to Static.

And I think they don't need a Black History Month movie. It doesn't need the appellation of "educational" as that's not widely appealing to most casual moviegoers. It should be about entertainment and spectacle and a great story. A message is good, but entertainment should be the primary focus. Don't alienate/disappoint viewers who showed up to see a "superhero movie." I think that will sell more tickets, sell more toys, spread whichever IP further, and make more money (so further incentivize sequels).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-22-2020 at 09:10 AM.

Ultimate Member

What message was being put out with Supergirl having a show while Superman was on the big screen.
    What message was being sent having a cartoon Cyborg (2 of them), 1 live action Doom Patrol Cyborg and movie Cyborg?
    What was the Star Trek Next Generation cast doing while OG cast was doing movies? Picard's clan got 4 movies. Kirk got 6 and 2 reboots. Janeway, Archer, Sisko and SPock's sister don't have one. Janeway and Sisko could have.

Black folks are not going to throw a fit if Icon is on on the big screen. Only the fake woke crowd who needs youtube hits will try that mess. The same fake woke crowd who would not set foot in a theater to see Icon or Static or Black Panther or Cyborg.

ALSO if I worked for the DC/WB and keep the CW crowd away from Milestone-I would present an Icon series that would make up for the lack of a film.

Since Icon has been on Earth for 100+ years that means like Highlander he has to change his ID or fake a death to avoid detection. When Rocket rips him for not being active to help black folks..he stops her and educates her.

My pitch would have Icon arrive on Earth in the 1700s. Lets say 1723. In 1770 he is in Boston working as a dock worker named Crispus Attucks.
    He resurfaces around the Civil War under the name of Bass Reeves until 1910.
    1913- someone looking like Icon was there for the formation of Delta Sigma Theta, an African-American sorority, at Howard University.
    From 1915-1977- He was at the White House under Woodrow, Harding and other Republicans presidents.
    He was one of the 900+ black men who served as Tuskegee Airman.
    He would later serve in Nam.
    The last thing he did before meeting Rocket was fund a research project by David Kim on nanotechnological virus capable of extensive tissue regeneration.

I just showed Icon being active in some form of black history and working with Republicans and fighting for this country. He also helped the future hero Xombi.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What message was being put out with Supergirl having a show while Superman was on the big screen.
    What message was being sent having a cartoon Cyborg (2 of them), 1 live action Doom Patrol Cyborg and movie Cyborg?
    What was the Star Trek Next Generation cast doing while OG cast was doing movies? Picard's clan got 4 movies. Kirk got 6 and 2 reboots. Janeway, Archer, Sisko and SPock's sister don't have one. Janeway and Sisko could have.

Black folks are not going to throw a fit if Icon is on on the big screen. Only the fake woke crowd who needs youtube hits will try that mess. The same fake woke crowd who would not set foot in a theater to see Icon or Static or Black Panther or Cyborg.

ALSO if I worked for the DC/WB and keep the CW crowd away from Milestone-I would present an Icon series that would make up for the lack of a film.

Since Icon has been on Earth for 100+ years that means like Highlander he has to change his ID or fake a death to avoid detection. When Rocket rips him for not being active to help black folks..he stops her and educates her.

My pitch would have Icon arrive on Earth in the 1700s. Lets say 1723. In 1770 he is in Boston working as a dock worker named Crispus Attucks.
    He resurfaces around the Civil War under the name of Bass Reeves until 1910.
    1913- someone looking like Icon was there for the formation of Delta Sigma Theta, an African-American sorority, at Howard University.
    From 1915-1977- He was at the White House under Woodrow, Harding and other Republicans presidents.
    He was one of the 900+ black men who served as Tuskegee Airman.
    He would later serve in Nam.
    The last thing he did before meeting Rocket was fund a research project by David Kim on nanotechnological virus capable of extensive tissue regeneration.

I just showed Icon being active in some form of black history and working with Republicans and fighting for this country. He also helped the future hero Xombi.
    I like what you did here but I'd offer an adjustment to it.

I'd have him be in all those same situations but only as a support to those real-life people. Like having him found in photos of those historical events. I just wouldn't want his story taking away all those achievements from actual people and being credited to an alien.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    I like what you did here but I'd offer an adjustment to it.

I'd have him be in all those same situations but only as a support to those real-life people. Like having him found in photos of those historical events. I just wouldn't want his story taking away all those achievements from actual people and being credited to an alien.
    I am not going to worry about the misguided person who will think an alien did this or that. This is fiction after all.

I would probably include at the end of each show some real life reference material on whoever I used or included.

Although it would still be more support/observations.

Lets take Black Wall Street. Lets say he was there. He did nothing. I want there to be a scene where he explains why and it be "deep".

"If I started flying around and tossing folks around or showed my powers-yeah I would have saved Black Wall Street. For a time. I also would have condemned every black male young and old to death. Because those bigots would not have stopped until black men in the USA were exterminated. The needs of many outweigh the needs of a few."

Spectacular Member Paul Muad'Dib's Avatar

Icon Overhead (2014) artist: Jason Hunter

He also has Fan-Fic to go along with this amazing image.

https://www.deviantart.com/jasingdre...head-502326414