Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1757636465666768697071 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1064

Thread: Milestone

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think you can if you establish that he was on Earth since slavery days.

Then to address why he was MIA up till Rocket met him-he can say "If a black man with powers was running around back them how many innocent black men and boys would have been killed? Killed at a higher rate than they were back then?"

As for the Republican part-you can play with that. Let his stance be-"Despite everything black folks have been through-there are still opportunities for blacks to make it." Which is sort of true to a point and let Rocket explain that. "Yes there are shots for blacks out there but the level of success has barriers. That can set us up for failure."

"Yes everyone goes out of there way to build the next Lebron James and pander to him. What if everyone did that with Dwayne McDuffie? Why are there fields WE are not welcomed in?"

Or you don't state his politics view.

You sell him as an alien that wonders why black folks can't get to where HE is. Rocket is there to show why and offer a different view point.

Icon sees the black kid get busted for drugs and blows him off. Rocket is there to explain a reason why he is dealing or points out what is missing in the black community.

Look at Milestone 0-Icon WENT to the source of where the drugs were coming from. He stopped the supply. Build off of that. He stopped the drugs now what? Is everyone happy? Does it get new jobs in the hood?
    "Why are there fields WE are not welcomed in?"

Really?

Such reasoning is the mentality for the chronically lazy and nonchalant.

Are were still in the 1900s?!?

That reasoning is not applicable in today's society

In today's world....we are 20 years into the new Millenium and even before now there were very many black successes in STEM fields.

Even looong before now,how do u think black inventors achieved their successes and achievements?

How do u think Asians got the "model minority" label even after all the hatred, pin and torture they have gone through? Even when they do NOT want such a label?!?

U know why?

I bury their heads into devotion to education almost to the point of religious worship because they power aof skills and knowledge from higher level and higher scored education gives you great merit to success and access all facets of society......then add their culture of humility.

Are they bad apples among them? YES..... Do they also have criminals like any other group of people? Most definitely!!!...But they have a low percentile of such attributes compared to us/blacks.

As black people we have gone through pain in this country which has become cross generational.....but we together cannot let that define us as "angry black man" "angry black woman" stereotypes always complaining.

Many of those complaints are valid but many are also dumb....like the excuse ofnlwck of black role models(insert eye roll here). Who were the black role models of the first Black doctors, engineers, lecturers, scientists, inventors, etc? Did they need black role models to achieve success?

If u have great merit from an extensive education, recurring high scores, great skills exhibition, accompanied by certifications, can meet deadlines ahead of time, put in extra time/work to get that extra credit, never late for any appointments without an undeniably good honest reason and respectfulness .....u WILL AND CAN succeed in today's world because I believe merit isn't bound by societal qualms of race, religion, political party, income bracket, etc.

I ain't saying we shouldn't be wary of racism and segregationist occurrences but we can have that as a massive chip on our shoulder to the point that we fail by doing more complaining things han actually doing things. ...if you catch my meaning.

We keep repeating the same mistakes over n over, black on black violence/deaths still CRAZY HIGH, Hood n Nigga mentality still booming and promoted, runaway baby daddies, gang culture/ gangbanging, always cheating, etc

Sooo many bruthaz locked-up over this supposedly endless cycle of stupidity....rampant fatherless families leaving the sistaz struggling solo but somehow these sistaz are able to achieve more success in education. Heck, many sistas today have given up on brutaz entirely from being exhausted with continuous frustration

The son of an African ( Not African American) with a VERY non- American type name with a black wife and black kids became a president of the U.S..... "leader of the Free world" "Comnder in Chief often highest office in the land" - Mr BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA.

Bruthas n sistaz, after Obama we can no longer claim that we are excluded from from this n that or that we get set up for failure.

Anyhow, sorry for the long rant.....but I just had to say something.

Personally I would prefer Icon was a moderate who capitalises on practical objectivity over picking political sides.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Icon and Rocket is mostly about Rocket. She makes about 50-75% of the book depending on how you want to look at it.
    McDuffie confirmed that Icon was about her in reality years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Yeah. Both back then and even to this very day, a lot of people didn't and don't realize this. This is in part because gravitating to the Big Guy as being the focal point is an easy assumption for many of us to make/have made out of habit, presumption based on the title, or desire/preference but the book is about Rocket/Raquel Ervin. Such is the point that when the narrative progresses enough, Rocket actually takes up the mantle and becomes Icon herself.
    didn't know that. maybe this would've been a good time to give her top(or at least official) billing in the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It doesn't really mean that, It just means in the future the protest become vague much in the same way Punisher is going to move from a specific conflict(I think it is Iraq/Gulf War) to just a war in the middle east. Static goes to a protest, Gets bother by bullies, gets hit with gas. I think it works with just general details.
    i disagree, making it a BLM protest sets it in a specific time and eliminates the vagueness. nothing against BLM, just saying.

has anybody read the Wise Son or Holocaust solo series?? i'd love to read them but i think my chances of finding affordable copies has went from slim to none. was lucky to find 2 issues Holocaust.
    Last edited by BigLbo; 03-04-2021 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post

Really?

Are were still in the 1900s?!?

That reasoning is not applicable in today's society

In today's world....we are 20 years into the new Millenium and even before now there were very many black successes in STEM fields.

Even looong before now,how do u think black inventors achieved their successes and achievements?

How do u think Asians got the "model minority" label even after all the hatred, pin and torture they have gone through? Even when they do NOT want such a label?!?

U know why?

I bury their heads into devotion to education almost to the point of religious worship because they power aof skills and knowledge from higher level and higher scored education gives you great merit to success and access all facets of society......then add their culture of humility.

Are they bad apples among them? YES..... Do they also have criminals like any other group of people? Most definitely!!!...But they have a low percentile of such attributes compared to us/blacks.

As black people we have gone through pain in this country which has become cross generational.....but we together cannot let that define us as "angry black man" "angry black woman" stereotypes always complaining.

Many of those complaints are valid but many are also dumb....like the excuse ofnlwck of black role models(insert eye roll here). Who were the black role models of the first Black doctors, engineers, lecturers, scientists, inventors, etc? Did they need black role models to achieve success?

If u have great merit from an extensive education, recurring high scores, great skills exhibition, accompanied by certifications, can meet deadlines ahead of time, put in extra time/work to get that extra credit, never late for any appointments without an undeniably good honest reason and respectfulness .....u WILL AND CAN succeed in today's world because I believe merit isn't bound by societal qualms of race, religion, political party, income bracket, etc.

I ain't saying we shouldn't be wary of racism and segregationist occurrences but we can have that as a massive chip on our shoulder to the point that we fail by doing more complaining things han actually doing things. ...if you catch my meaning.

We keep repeating the same mistakes over n over, black on black violence/deaths still CRAZY HIGH, Hood n Nigga mentality still booming and promoted, runaway baby daddies, gang culture/ gangbanging, always cheating, etc

Sooo many bruthaz locked-up over this supposedly endless cycle of stupidity....rampant fatherless families leaving the sistaz struggling solo but somehow these sistaz are able to achieve more success in education. Heck, many sistas today have given up on brutaz entirely from being exhausted with continuous frustration

The son of an African ( Not African American) with a VERY non- American type name with a black wife and black kids became a president of the U.S..... "leader of the Free world" "Comnder in Chief often highest office in the land" - Mr BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA.

Bruthas n sistaz, after Obama we can no longer claim that we are excluded from from this n that or that we get set up for failure.

Anyhow, sorry for the long rant.....but I just had to say something.

Personally I would prefer Icon was a moderate who capitalises on practical objectivity over picking political sides.
    All of this was really unnecessary.

Maybe that was an example of how Icon could act...

Does anyone know of some people who could be a good choice for Hardware if a movie ever gets made of him? I think Corey Hawkins could be a good choice.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    didn't know that. maybe this would've been a good time to give her top(or at least official) billing in the title.
    This was a time where black female lead books were not in large number and there were still stores that would not sell a black lead let alone a black female lead book.
    No matter who the writer was. That might have been a way to bypass that.

Really?
    https://blog.amopportunities.org/202...n-stem-fields/

The Black Lives Matter movement is creating much-needed conversations regarding representation and equality. In our post, Distrust in Healthcare: Racial Bias and Representation, we point out that, although 13% of the U.S. population is Black, only 4% of physicians are Black.

Only 9% of workers in STEM fields are Black. This low number coincides with the wage gap that exists between Blacks and whites. Most STEM positions pay well. Because white and Asian individuals comprise most of the workforce, they get the receive more.

The median earning for Black individuals in this field is $59,000, whereas the median income for white individuals is around $70,000.
    Roadblocks to Equality
    Funds Must be Reallocated to Education in Black Communities
    Schools with strong populations of white students receive approximately $23 billion more in funding than schools that have a majority of Black students.

Create Extracurricular STEM-Related Experiences
    Creating fun and engaging ways to teach young people about STEM can allow them to foster an appreciation for these professions.

STEM Programs Should Encourage POC in their Faculty
    For most people, deciding on a career path is difficult. It takes time, consideration, and a source of inspiration. Finding a STEM professor who is a person of color can be tricky since only 2% of full-time professors at universities within the U.S. identify as Black.

Even when Black scientists, researchers, and healthcare professionals earn their degrees, they may be left without a seat at the table.
    THIS IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Part of the reason you have those low numbers is due to access to programs and black kids being deterred from going into those fields.
    Along with some of those fields needing too much work to be done to get there.

And pay STRONG attention to that last quote.

[QUOTE]Even when Black scientists, researchers, and healthcare professionals earn their degrees, they may be left without a seat at the table.[QUOTE]

McDuffie-editor, writer, co-founder of Milestone, did 4 DC movies, 1 Dc video game, multiple tv shows that won awards and had a DEGREE-got passed over numerous times.
    Do we even need to discuss PRIEST?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Maybe that was an example of how Icon could act...
    It WAS.

That post proved what I was talking about.

Because there are factors some race and some just normal things that can get in the way of access to certain fields.

Once upon a time my school district did not offer COMICS BOOK DESIGN classes. We now have a school that does that and helps those kids sell the book in stores.

Next year will mark the FIRST time an art school will be in a black community. We already had one that was in downtown and gave us Erika Badu, God's Property and Myron Butler.

Since 2012-we now have Stem programs in black schools. A lot of our schools are becoming specialized.

We even got a school for training on city design.

Other school districts around us does not have that.

Access to stuff has always been the issue.

Once upon a time the only DC & Marvel books that had POC as leads that we could order for the schools was HULK and She Hulk.

In Oklahoma-how old are their textbooks? Lets just say those are the same books the STRANGER THINGS kids would have had back in 1983.

Spectacular Member Common Writer's Avatar

i disagree, making it a BLM protest sets it in a specific time and eliminates the vagueness. nothing against BLM, just saying.

has anybody read the Wise Son or Holocaust solo series?? i'd love to read them but i think my chances of finding affordable copies has went from slim to none. was lucky to find 2 issues Holocaust.
    I've recently re-read the entire Holocaust miniseries and enjoyed it. Ivan Velez Jr did a phenomenal job in transforming this two-bit criminal into a full-blown supervillain. over the course of five issues, the reader gets to learn the origins of Leonard Smalls aka Holocaust. It goes over his traumatic childhood, his tenuous relationship with the Blood Syndicate, the personal demons he battles, and even the reveal of who his true birth mother was. And his mom is worse than he is.

After Static was added to the Teen Titans, Holocaust should have been added to the Suicide Squad.

This was a time where black female lead books were not in large number and there were still stores that would not sell a black lead let alone a black female lead book.
    No matter who the writer was. That might have been a way to bypass that.
    agreed, that's why i said now might be the time to give her top billing if the book is going to be more about her anyways. or give a different female lead her own title.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    I've recently re-read the entire Holocaust miniseries and enjoyed it. Ivan Velez Jr did a phenomenal job in transforming this two-bit criminal into a full-blown supervillain. over the course of five issues, the reader gets to learn the origins of Leonard Smalls aka Holocaust. It goes over his traumatic childhood, his tenuous relationship with the Blood Syndicate, the personal demons he battles, and even the reveal of who his true birth mother was. And his mom is worse than he is.

After Static was added to the Teen Titans, Holocaust should have been added to the Suicide Squad.
    that sounds pretty cool, i wish they would put out some Milestone TPBs.

Spectacular Member Common Writer's Avatar

that sounds pretty cool, i wish they would put out some Milestone TPBs.
    As for the Wise Son miniseries, it's on a whole new different level.

I'm talking adult-only content. What Marvel's Alias series did for Jessica Jones, is what Milestone's White Wolf series did for Wise Son. The original solicit read, "While a skinhead and a Muslim leader are brutally murdered, Wise and the blood Synciate celebrate his 20th birthday. But the party's not over when Wise Son starts a binge of self-destruction and leaves the syndicate".

This series takes a hard, and unflinching look at a young man who is haunted by his past, indifferent to the future, and suspended in a present where he must learn the crucial difference between surviving and living.

Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar

Yes BLM protest does date it but it is not hard to remove BLM and say it is a protest in the retelling of the story. Marvel and DC do this all the time as soon BLM is not relevant or dates it too much. You can make the details foggy about it. As long you as don't put some great connection to the character with the thing it is fine, Something like Dazzler is a problem where disco is so tied the character that easily dates the character this is not that when times comes BLM will be replaced with generic protest.

more Static and Hotstreak art from Nikolas Draper-Ivey

this man and Brandon Thomas writing Hardware are the things I'm most excited about for Milestone, I can not lie.
    SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist! his fandom wikia
    I support militant Professor X
    • Manga: One Piece, My Hero, Mashle, Tokyo Revengers, Jujutsu Kaisen, GoH, Black Clover
    • DC: Other History of DC, Second Son, Gotham: Urban Legends
    • Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, X-books
    • Anticipated titles: MrM Source of Freedom, Static*, Hardware*, Naomi s2, FS Gotham
    "power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

this man and Brandon Thomas writing Hardware are the things I'm most excited about for Milestone, I can not lie.
    That looks rad. Damn.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

I love that Anime/Manga vibe!

So is that supposed to be Static's mask?