Page 27 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Milestone

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Let's hope so.
    I'm puzzled by the choice of characters. Some of them haven't been around for many years and others like Nubia basically never got the panel time they deserved.
    Also weird they didn't include Vixen, but maybe that's because she isn't American?
    That would be a weird reason to keep her out considering Icon isn’t even human (although he WAS a slave iirc), and Nubia isn’t American either.

Astonishing Member

Why is Milestone still at DC? Didn't they become independent years ago? Surely they should be trying to work with other publishers, or go independent, because DC treats the brand terribly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    On one hand racism is still a pretty clear part of modern day society, recent events have made that clear. So black writers who want to write about that kind of stuff should be allowed to do so, and itís not like black readers donít enjoy ďStreetĒ characters like Luke Cage, Black Lightning, or Miles Morales Spider-Man. But I have talked with some blerds (Black nerds) and one of them made a comment that stuck with me.

He pointed out that black people donít get a lot of ďescapist fictionĒ, stuff that features black main characters thatís not dealing with gangsters, slaves, or civil rights activists. They donít typically get to do stuff like command space ships, explore fantasy worlds, or deal with stuff aside from direct parallels to the African-American struggle for civil rights. And that can be draining, or even boring when itís the same story beats over and over. So thereís definitely a demand for a wider variety of stories, and itís not like black writers are at all uninterested in writing about other stuff. Bryan Hill on Twitter loves to talk about cyberpunk stuff and technology. MacDuffie said he would have loved to been asked about Peter Parker Spidey instead of just the black heroes. Priest wants to write Iron Man and Batman (neither of whom have ever had a run from someone who wasnít white, straight, and male from my recollection).

Hell that was the whole point of Milestone: showcasing the ability of black writers to take on various issues. They tackled race but also talked about the blerd community interests through characters like Static. So I canít agree that Milestone is just some BET comic knockoff equivalent. I hope Milestone can be revived and recapture that inclusiveness of letting people write about topics they donít typically get to. I hope it wonít just be Hudlin writing everything like it was initially planned to be, really would like DC to start using Milestone to recruit POC creators that will let some of them end up writing Batman and Superman, because I would personally love to see Priest try his hand at Bats or Supes, or to have seen what MacDuffie wouldíve done on those characters.
    There IS my horror fantasy coming of age comic series, Is'nana the Were-Spider. I've posted on these forums a couple of times but it doesn't get much traction.

Isnana 1-3.jpg

It's based on the stories of Anansi the Spider and implements various figures from Black folklore, spirituality, and myths. Alternate worlds, magic, possessions, fantasy horror stuff, etc.

webwaycomics.ecwid.com/
    Kickstarter for my comic Is'nana the Were-Spider, Vol 1 and 2!

Horror/fantasy coming of age book about the son of Anansi the Spider seeking for his place in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by tSteel Inquisitor View Post
    Why is Milestone still at DC? Didn't they become independent years ago? Surely they should be trying to work with other publishers, or go independent, because DC treats the brand terribly.
    Well they've always been their own entity. DC has never owned Milestone (though I've read where some people mistakenly believe they do). As for going to other publishers, I'm not 100% on this since obviously I'm not privy to their business lol, but I've read in the past that due to the deal they made with dc, the original milestone characters are stuck being published there. They could have new Milestone characters at another publisher, though. Again this is not me stating facts, just what I've seen suggested by people who are more in the know than I am.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    There IS my horror fantasy coming of age comic series, Is'nana the Were-Spider. I've posted on these forums a couple of times but it doesn't get much traction.

Isnana 1-3.jpg

It's based on the stories of Anansi the Spider and implements various figures from Black folklore, spirituality, and myths. Alternate worlds, magic, possessions, fantasy horror stuff, etc.

webwaycomics.ecwid.com/
    Is there a way to purchase a digital copy of Marassa?
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nontheless):

DC: Batman Beyond, Red Hood, Far Sector
    Marvel: Marauders, X-Force, X-Men, X-Factor, New Mutants, Hellions, Miles Morales: Spider-Man, Immortal Hulk, Venom, Daredevil
    LionForge: Noble, Astonisher
    Image: Killadelphia, Bitter Root, Excellence
    IDW: TMNT: The Last Ronin
    Other: XOGeneSYS, Clock Striker, Is'Nana The Were-Spider

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Is there a way to purchase a digital copy of Marassa?
    Message me.
    Kickstarter for my comic Is'nana the Were-Spider, Vol 1 and 2!

Horror/fantasy coming of age book about the son of Anansi the Spider seeking for his place in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    I think McDuffie made a deal with DC that led to the Milestone characters migrating over to the DCU, and since then the original creators kinda drifted away. They’re trying to get Milestone up and running as it’s own separate universe again, but the lawsuit and then the pandemic put that on hold.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post

I definitely want to check it out, along with other books from the Youneek Studios
    Definitely recommend! Their whole line to this point is solid, with E.X.O.: The Legend of Wale Williams being my fave so far!
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 06-21-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    As someone at Bleeding Cool pointed out a LOT of these folks have not been seen in YEARS.

And I am NOT talking the Milestone folks.

Guardian has not been seen since 2007.

Until Teen Titans Jakeem Thunder was MIA for 10 years.

Dr Midnight has not been seen in now 27 years.

Lighting and her sister have been MIA 11 years.

There are 23 names on there.

Missing is
    Bumblebee's HUSBAND-Malcolm Duncan
    Red Lion
    Jason Rush
    Michael Lane
    Mr Bones
    Muhammad X
    Orpheus
    Natasha Irons
    Rocket
    Michael Cray
    Shilo Norman (Mr Miracle 2)
    Tattoo Man
    Wallace West
    Hotspot
    Invisible Kid
    Nix
    Amazing man 1-3
    Conner Hawke
    Bloodwynd
    Crimson Avenger
    Onyx
    gravedigger
    Computo
    Jamal Cullen and is sister
    Darla from Shazam
    Lucious from Doom Patrol and his family
    Jackson King
    Julia Pennyworth
    Spectre

Wallace being left out is inexcusable. He's IN a book.

Names had to be repeated because somebody could not use GOOGLE????

And Twitter is letting DC have it.
    The original Guardian, Jim Harper, is white, so the Guardian named there is in fact Mal Duncan. Rocket's name is on there as well.

You're right though, any duplicated names other than Green Lantern and Steel (which are shared names) should've been replaced by others. Kid Flash, Darla Shazam, Power Girl (Tanya Spears), Silencer, Naomi...
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Not at all a broken record. Never seen any of those before. There will be at least 700 books published a month (diamond + books outside diamond + digital + small press) - impossible to keep track of everything unless people show something off in a discussion.
    I should also take the opportunity to plug my own comic, Myth Smith.

It's about a 200 plus year old supernatural adventurer who is tasked with maintaining the balance between Earth and the extra-dimensional realm that magic comes from (and where ALL mythologies, fairy tales, folk tales, etc. are real). Just another example of a black creator with a black character in fantastical settings, unlike the nonsense someone was saying earlier in the thread. Link to purchase is in my sig if anyone is interested.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The original Guardian, Jim Harper, is white, so the Guardian named there is in fact Mal Duncan. Rocket's name is on there as well.

You're right though, any duplicated names other than Green Lantern and Steel (which are shared names) should've been replaced by others. Kid Flash, Darla Shazam, Power Girl (Tanya Spears), Silencer, Naomi...
    The Seven Solider minis from 2006 had a black one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Guardian

And GUESS who the artist was....Cameron Stewart

He was last seen in Batman Devastor with Supergirl.

Now I am going by what I know based on the ORINGAL Milestone contract and it's in a book whose name I forgot. So I would guess it would still be the same now in some effect.

Dc has to paid Milestone a FEE every year for the right to publish Milestone books. Even if DC does not put one out-Dc has to pay.

Think of it as a retaining fee that you see with Lawyers and some clients.

It ensures that the lawyer will always be there and you can't go to someone else.

Also I think Milestone is FREE to work with others.

RICANSTRUCTION: REMINISCING & REBUILDING PUERTO RICO book had Static, Icon & Hardware in it.

Now you do have the USUAL collection of suspects saying DC has to give up half their profits to Milestone if they use them. IGNORE those trolls.

Dc is mostly already paying Milestone something. Especially with Static going to waste on that Young Justice tv show.

Now why they choose NOT to reprint books is beyond me. If NO store has copies logic says they are sold out. When a CRAPPY New 52 Static book can retain for $70 at some Half Price Books that means something. When Static in Teen Titans can retail at $60....

I’m really glad that someone pointed out that most the characters being promoted as DC’s diversity have been shelved for years. DC has not done a good job of utilizing their heroes who happen to be POC.

Silencer is actually Maori.

Extraordinary Member

I was surprised to see Tyroc listed, but not other Legionnaires like Invisible Kid II, Computo, Kid Quantum II, GEAR, XS, Catspaw, Glorith, Mwindaji, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’m really glad that someone pointed out that most the characters being promoted as DC’s diversity have been shelved for years. DC has not done a good job of utilizing their heroes who happen to be POC.

Silencer is actually Maori.
    did they ever confirm Maori? I'd only ever seen that she is just vaguely pacific islander.
    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas' fandom wikia

I support militant Professor X

Manga: One Piece, My Hero, Mashle, Tokyo Revengers, Jujutsu Kaisen, GoH, Black Clover
    DC: Far Sector, Other History of the DC
    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, X-books, Venom, Shang-Chi
    Anticipated titles: The Next Batman, Dark Multiverse: METAL, Future State: Green Lantern, FS: Aquaman, FS: Wonder Woman, Immortal Wonder Woman

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I was surprised to see Tyroc listed, but not other Legionnaires like Invisible Kid II, Computo, Kid Quantum II, GEAR, XS, Catspaw, Glorith, Mwindaji, etc.
    I just did some art with her brother and got his first appearance and death issue. Yet I could not remember their Legion name.