Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Katar and Shayera Hol of Thanagar Appreciation Thread 2023

Here we go:
    Hawkman and Hawkwoman the police officers from the planet Thanagar.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Incredible Member

I feel like the Planet Thanagar needs more attention; it's up there with Rann, Tamaran , and Colu as planets that deserve as much attention as Krypton and Oa.

Astonishing Member

Not really. Krypton (since Superman) and Oa (because of GL) certainly, but the others are just not a big deal. Adam Strange even when DC could do good stories like Planet Heist never had a big fanbase. The same for Thanagar. And nobody at DC not even Morrison had tried to create a coherent cosmology (even though he talked about it in his pitch for GL) with these planets like Marvel does with the Skrulls/Kree/Shiar.

Fantastic Member

DC: Bring back the real Hawkman. Bring Back the Silver Age Hawkman. Bring Back Kater Holt and his wife Shayera. You owe us a happily married DC couple, since you wrecked Ralph and Sue's.
    --jthree

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Not really. Krypton (since Superman) and Oa (because of GL) certainly, but the others are just not a big deal. Adam Strange even when DC could do good stories like Planet Heist never had a big fanbase. The same for Thanagar. And nobody at DC not even Morrison had tried to create a coherent cosmology (even though he talked about it in his pitch for GL) with these planets like Marvel does with the Skrulls/Kree/Shiar.
    It is hard to care much about these planets when their top heroes are dude with a jetpack and a dude with wings. Random USA town has more powerful superheroes than these entire planets.

And people care about these Marvel space empires because they have been fighting Fantastic Four, Avengers and X-Men over the years. Adam Strange and Hawkman just aren't on that level.

Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    DC: Bring back the real Hawkman. Bring Back the Silver Age Hawkman. Bring Back Kater Holt and his wife Shayera. You owe us a happily married DC couple, since you wrecked Ralph and Sue's.
    --jthree
    Well put,JThree.

Well put.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Astonishing Member

I'd love to see Shayera Hol on the big-screen, or even a live-action TV show. I really don't think DC tapped into her popularity from the JL cartoon as much as they could have. I mean, Hawkgirl is definitely in DC's Top 5 female superheroes in terms of popularity among casual audiences (WW, Black Canary and Batgirl also being on that list...maybe Harley Quinn if we're considering her a 'superhero' these days).

Extraordinary Member

For years in my early superhero comic reading, I was under the impression that Katar and Shayera WERE Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Then, I started reading All Star Squadron and learned of the Golden Age heroes.

I have always preferred Katar and Shayera and I'm still flabbergasted that it's been around 30 years that these two characters have been in limbo in the DC Universe.

Bring back Katar and Shayera ASAP. It's been more than enough time to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    For years in my early superhero comic reading, I was under the impression that Katar and Shayera WERE Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Then, I started reading All Star Squadron and learned of the Golden Age heroes.

I have always preferred Katar and Shayera and I'm still flabbergasted that it's been around 30 years that these two characters have been in limbo in the DC Universe.

Bring back Katar and Shayera ASAP. It's been more than enough time to do this.
    Are you from the future?

Katar was the main Hawkman in the New 52, so he's been in limbo for less than a decade. And Shayera had a major part in Venditti's recent Hawkman run and a brief role in Snyder's Justice League.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

1984 postcard.

Hawks.jpg

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    1984 postcard.

Hawks.jpg
    Nice.

--jthree

Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    DC: Bring back the real Hawkman. Bring Back the Silver Age Hawkman. Bring Back Kater Holt and his wife Shayera.

Both are fantastic characters - I’d love to see them as part of the League again someday.

Especially Shayera. I think after her turn as a character in JLAS there would be a bunch of writers that would want to write her.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    I feel like the Planet Thanagar needs more attention; it's up there with Rann, Tamaran , and Colu as planets that deserve as much attention as Krypton and Oa.
    I don't understand why Krypton is getting attention. Isn't it a part of the Superman mythology that he is sent here by desperate parents during the last moments of the "doomed planet Krypton?" Which exploded? And we all know from multiple scifis that when a planet explodes, we lose an important part of the planet as in ...the planet. So ....how?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I'd love to see Shayera Hol on the big-screen, or even a live-action TV show. I really don't think DC tapped into her popularity from the JL cartoon as much as they could have. I mean, Hawkgirl is definitely in DC's Top 5 female superheroes in terms of popularity among casual audiences (WW, Black Canary and Batgirl also being on that list...maybe Harley Quinn if we're considering her a 'superhero' these days).
    I agree. I feel they pushed Kendra more, but I never found her that interesting.