Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Milestone

BANNED

The Virgil Ovid Hawkins aka Static Appreciation Thread!
    http://community.comicbookresources....-Thread!/page8

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Long Beach Comic Con announces Dwayne McDuffie award!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/...cduffie-award/
    Dats brilliant...serious thnx 2 u Robotman 4 sharing dis.

Long Beach Comic Con announces Dwayne McDuffie Award
    by Kevin Melrose | September 19, 2014 @ 9:15 AM
    http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...cduffie-award/

Yeah I was so happy to hear about this. I usually go to the Long Beach Con every year. There's nobody more deserving of having an award named in their honor than Dwayne McDuffie.
    I got a chance to meet him at a Free Comic Book Day event years ago. Such a genuinely nice person. So sad that he's not with us anymore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Yeah I was so happy to hear about this. I usually go to the Long Beach Con every year. There's nobody more deserving of having an award named in their honor than Dwayne McDuffie.
    I got a chance to meet him at a Free Comic Book Day event years ago. Such a genuinely nice person. So sad that he's not with us anymore.
    Agrd & co-signd!

Its just mindbugglin' 2 c hw far DC is going just 2 ensure 'Maestro'/RIP legacy nvr gets 2 grow 2 gr8r success....fortun8ly his widow, friends & fans will 4evr remembr him & dat McDuffie award is a perfect way 2 immortalize his achievements even if DC chooses nt 2.

David Brothers came up with this list a while back of all the black writers who have ever done more than a single issue for a big two company. Looking at it makes me really appreciate that Milestone was created.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...LbVd5MXc#gid=0

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Agrd & co-signd!

Its just mindbugglin' 2 c hw far DC is going just 2 ensure 'Maestro'/RIP legacy nvr gets 2 grow 2 gr8r success....fortun8ly his widow, friends & fans will 4evr remembr him & dat McDuffie award is a perfect way 2 immortalize his achievements even if DC chooses nt 2.
    Ah, bt t y63 77 ambol f 5 2ten.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastBaron View Post
    David Brothers came up with this list a while back of all the black writers who have ever done more than a single issue for a big two company. Looking at it makes me really appreciate that Milestone was created.
    Dat's a VERY short list....thnk goodness 4 Milestone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Ah, bt t y63 77 ambol f 5 2ten.
    He's typing like Prince, like if you sound it out in your head, it makes sense. You're just being a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastBaron View Post
    Depressing to see that neither of the two are doing anything about the problem at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    He's typing like Prince, like if you sound it out in your head, it makes sense. You're just being a jerk.
    If you don't make the effort trying to spell after normal grammar and spelling rules then don't expect people will try read what you are writing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    If you don't make the effort trying to spell after normal grammar and spelling rules then don't expect people will try read what you are writing.
    Sure, don't try to engage with the person as to why they type like that. Why bother learning something? If you feel that strongly about it, use the ignore function instead of being a jerk.

Extraordinary Member

Depressing to see that neither of the two are doing anything about the problem at the moment.
    Until your fans, store owners and employees at DC/Marvel are more OPEN to POC writing books-it will stay that way.

We have some talented POC writers out there at other companies. Many have won awards. Many have gotten more media attention than some of DC & Marvel books.

Yet if they were to get a gig doing a DC book-the line of complaints would start to the left no matter what their resume will say.

And for most POC why would you even want to go through that? I bet they are trying and many are refusing because it's not worth the grief from a faction of fans.

I would love to see a Priest/Cowans Blue Beetle & Booster Gold book. We saw what they did with Quantum & Woody.

Priest & Reginald Hudlin from 1998-2009 produce 102 Black Panther comics and many view both as BP's defining runs.

What could Priest do if he got his hands on Batman family? Green Arrow?

Hudlin on Shazam?

The guy who did Underworld films-what could he do for I Vampire? Spectre? Justice League Dark? Warlord?

Alex Simmons on Firestorm or Adam Strange?

Until folks are open to it-we will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Until your fans, store owners and employees at DC/Marvel are more OPEN to POC writing books-it will stay that way.

We have some talented POC writers out there at other companies. Many have won awards. Many have gotten more media attention than some of DC & Marvel books.

Yet if they were to get a gig doing a DC book-the line of complaints would start to the left no matter what their resume will say.

And for most POC why would you even want to go through that? I bet they are trying and many are refusing because it's not worth the grief from a faction of fans.
    Well, I think the finger points back at the companies. They need to lead the way.

Sure, don't try to engage with the person as to why they type like that. Why bother learning something? If you feel that strongly about it, use the ignore function instead of being a jerk.
    I don't really believe in the ignore function since I believe people can make several stupid post and still in the future make a good post. The person can become wiser in the future ect. Well you spell like that I see it as trolling and a jerk move. I have no problem with people having a problem with spelling however when people deliberately misspell it is something else. However when this is said I don't think I quite understood dancj message so I don't know how mean it was. I however already politely asked SilverZeal to write in proper English which he/she has chosen to ignore.

Not so much being a jerk as pointing out how his posts look to everyone else. I can read them if I put in the effort, but TBH it's not worth the effort when he's deliberately typing in a hard to read manner.

Sure, don't try to engage with the person as to why they type like that.
    I did earlier in the thread. He didn't reply.

Well you spell like that I see it as trolling and a jerk move. I have no problem with people having a problem with spelling however when people deliberately misspell it is something else. However when this is said I don't think I quite understood dancj message so I don't know how mean it was. I however already politely asked SilverZeal to write in proper English which he/she has chosen to ignore.
    My message didn't have any meaning. It was just random.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I don't think you can argue that the fans (or probably store owners) are not open to non-white writers. Most of the time they don't even know that the writer isn't white. I disliked Christopher Priests writing (both before and after he changed his name from James Owsley) and liked Kyle Baker and Dwayne McDuffie long before I knew they were black.

Ah...oh well it was about as meaningful as any of SilverZeal's posts.

I don't think you can argue that the fans (or probably store owners) are not open to non-white writers. Most of the time they don't even know that the writer isn't white. I disliked Christopher Priests writing (both before and after he changed his name from James Owsley) and liked Kyle Baker and Dwayne McDuffie long before I knew they were black.
    Christopher Priest actually wrote several black characters Falcon, Iron Fist and Black Panther (which ran for over 60 issues). Haven't read any of it though the only thing I remember reading by him was Daredevil 246 (a fill in issue). I remember DD was shown as a person who liked fighting crime and got a rush out if it. An approach I personally liked. His enemy was the change which had kind of the same lust for thrills however it wasn't directly linked since Daredevil only mention his lust for an adrenaline kick.

BANNED

Not so much being a jerk as pointing out how his posts look to everyone else. I can read them if I put in the effort, but TBH it's not worth the effort when he's deliberately typing in a hard to read manner.
    Your life must be very difficult.

I did earlier in the thread. He didn't reply.

That's not engaging. That's trolling.

Ah...oh well it was about as meaningful as any of SilverZeal's posts.
    Factually incorrect. But carry on anyway.