Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Milestone

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    He's typing like Prince, like if you sound it out in your head, it makes sense. You're just being a jerk.
    Sure, don't try to engage with the person as to why they type like that. Why bother learning something? If you feel that strongly about it, use the ignore function instead of being a jerk.
    Thnx Brady, u r a darling!

Any othr nws....

Long Beach Comic-con was on 27th Sept '14, last Satrday...

Buzz from the Beach
    SEP 27 2014
    http://longbeachcomiccon.com/

Long Beach Comic Con Launches the Dwayne McDuffie Award

Long Beach Comic Con was proud to announce today the Dwayne McDuffie Award for Diversity. The only comics award of its kind, the inaugural Dwayne McDuffie Award will be granted the weekend of February 28, 2015 to an American comics work, published in print or digitally in 2014, deemed by the Selection Committee to promote diversity. In the spirit of Dwayne McDuffie himself, "promoting diversity" can be judged as either broadening the range of characters portrayed in comics, or adding to the variety of creators contributing to the medium.

Dwayne McDuffie was a comic book and television writer, famous for writing and producing the animated series Justice League Unlimited and Ben 10, and for creating the animated series Static Shock. McDuffie also co-founded Milestone Media, a minority-owned-and-operated comic-book company. During his career, McDuffie earned three Eisner Award nominations, two Emmy Award nominations, and won the Inkpot award, a Humanitas Award and a WGA Award.

"Dwayne was an incredible creator, and used his talents to help bring more diversity into comics," said Martha Donato, co-founder of Long Beach Comic Con. "His influence on comics is incredible, and we look forward to helping preserve his legacy through this award."

The Dwayne McDuffie Award will be stewarded by director Matt Wayne, with the support of McDuffie's wife, Charlotte. "Dwayne would have been pleased by an award that recognizes so much new and exciting work," she said.

"Excellence is a given in this award," Wayne said. "We're honoring work that, through its artistic merit, has brought a greater variety of stories and creators into comics."

The Selection Committee consists of eight prominent comics and animation professionals who knew Dwayne and have demonstrated a commitment to inclusiveness:

- Neo Edmund - Novelist, animation and comics writer

- Joseph Illidge - Former Editor, Milestone and DC Comics; Columnist, Comic Book Resources; Writer, First Second Books

- Len Wein -
    Co-creator Swamp Thing, Wolverine, New X-Men; Former E-I-C, Marvel, Disney; Former Senior Editor, DC Comics.

- Heidi MacDonald - Editor in Chief, The Beat; former DC Editor

- Glen Murakami - Producer/Supervising Director, DC animated properties and Ben 10: Alien Force/Ultimate Alien

- Joan Hilty - Nickelodeon Comics Editor, Former Senior Editor, Vertigo; Creator of Bitter Girl

- Eugene Son - Comics writer/Story Editor, Ultimate Spider-Man Animated

- William J. Watkins - Writer; Former owner, Chicago's first Black-owned comics store; Former DC editorial assistant

The first annual Dwayne McDuffie Awards will be announced at the Long Beach Comic Expo on February 28, 2015. The recipient work will be chosen from five nominees. The call for submissions was launched today at Long Beach Comic Con.

An application for the award can be found here.

Last edited by SilverZeal; 10-01-2014 at 07:35 AM.

That's not engaging. That's trolling.
    It seems like you addressed to dancj but I think you want to address it to SilverZeal. People have asked SilverZeal politely to write in proper English he hasn't reply and deliberately keeps writing in a broken language. Pointing a finger of one post and calling it trolling because it made a joke about numerals messages written in an deliberately broken English is an unbalanced judgement.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    It seems like you addressed to dancj but I think you want to address it to SilverZeal. People have asked SilverZeal politely to write in proper English he hasn't reply and deliberately keeps writing in a broken language. Pointing a finger of one post and calling it trolling because it made a joke about numerals messages written in an deliberately broken English is an unbalanced judgement.
    Fine. SZ (a group of friends in a not-so-privileged African nation) had to learn how to type on a broken keyboard. While it was recently replaced with a functional one, the method of typing stuck, and it became familiar to everyone else who frequently interacted with them. Most people who know SZ appreciate it and don't want it to change. So either deal with it, or ignore.

Dancj (and others) refuses to believe this, but that's just his colonial heritage getting in the way of himself.

My thoughts on Milestone/Dakota:

1. I’d love to see the likes of Icon, Rocket, Static, and Hardware get more play on Prime Earth. I don’t think that the Prime Earth versions of these characters should all be placed in Dakota; in fact, I’d be happiest if all four of the ones I mentioned had different home bases. I don’t dislike the notion of Dakota (see my next point); but the point of including versions of Milestone’s heroes on Prime Earth is to fully integrate them into the setting; segregating them off into a city of their own tends to clash with that.

2. If you’re going to have an Earth-23 in the Multiverse whose defining feature seems to be a predominance of minority superheroes (the home of Calvin Ellis, a.k.a. President Superman), I’d like the original versions of the Milestone characters to be featured there. That is, start with the Dakotaverse, and add the likes of President Superman, Nubia, John Stewart, Vixen, Steel, and Cyborg (a selection of Earth-23 heroes that were shown in Multiversity#1) to the mix. More generally, I’d like Earth-23 to be less “Black Earth” and more “Culturally Diverse Earth” — something that would be helped greatly by basing it primarily on the original Dakotaverse. The trick would be doing it in such a way that Icon and Hardware don’t get viewed as redundant with that Earth’s Superman and Steel.

These two things are not mutually exclusive options.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    My thoughts on Milestone/Dakota:

1. I’d love to see the likes of Icon, Rocket, Static, and Hardware get more play on Prime Earth. I don’t think that the Prime Earth versions of these characters should all be placed in Dakota; in fact, I’d be happiest if all four of the ones I mentioned had different home bases. I don’t dislike the notion of Dakota (see my next point); but the point of including versions of Milestone’s heroes on Prime Earth is to fully integrate them into the setting; segregating them off into a city of their own tends to clash with that.
    i think you could take the approach that's been taken with the Gotham-orignating characters (batfam, zatanna, birds of prey, alan scott etc); have their origins in the original city; but have them move elsewhere after their beginings as heroes.

2. If you’re going to have an Earth-23 in the Multiverse whose defining feature seems to be a predominance of minority superheroes (the home of Calvin Ellis, a.k.a. President Superman), I’d like the original versions of the Milestone characters to be featured there. That is, start with the Dakotaverse, and add the likes of President Superman, Nubia, John Stewart, Vixen, Steel, and Cyborg (a selection of Earth-23 heroes that were shown in Multiversity#1) to the mix. More generally, I’d like Earth-23 to be less “Black Earth” and more “Culturally Diverse Earth” — something that would be helped greatly by basing it primarily on the original Dakotaverse. The trick would be doing it in such a way that Icon and Hardware don’t get viewed as redundant with that Earth’s Superman and Steel.

These two things are not mutually exclusive options.
    given what's apaprently coming (a crisis potentially on the scale, if not quality, of COIE) i would suspect earth-33 will be cannon-foddered at some point. DC i suspect is not so stupid (though their collective intelligence and self-preservation are remarkably lacking at times) as bring milestone back just to exterminate them (And lets be fair, even they know they'd get far more flack for killing off static and rocket than calvin ellis.) such an unjust fate is usually reserved for Charlton/Fawcett/Quality characters.

i suppose you could have Icon (due to his age) be active earlier and serve as an inspiration to later heroes the way the JSA was in Post-Crisis/Superman is in more simplified timelines?

anyways, dare we hope there's a version of dakota city on the blood moon?
    i want my static/swamp thing team-up

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    i think you could take the approach that's been taken with the Gotham-orignating characters (batfam, zatanna, birds of prey, alan scott etc); have their origins in the original city; but have them move elsewhere after their beginings as heroes.
    I suppose.

given what's apparently coming (a crisis potentially on the scale, if not quality, of COIE) i would suspect earth-33 will be cannon-foddered at some point. DC i suspect is not so stupid (though their collective intelligence and self-preservation are remarkably lacking at times) as bring milestone back just to exterminate them (And lets be fair, even they know they'd get far more flack for killing off static and rocket than calvin ellis.) such an unjust fate is usually reserved for Charlton/Fawcett/Quality characters.
    Earth-23; Earth-33 is better known as Earth Prime.

i suppose you could have Icon (due to his age) be active earlier and serve as an inspiration to later heroes the way the JSA was in Post-Crisis/Superman is in more simplified timelines?
    Wasn’t the whole point of Icon that he didn’t become a superhero until Rocket pushed him into it?

Fine. SZ (a group of friends in a not-so-privileged African nation) had to learn how to type on a broken keyboard. While it was recently replaced with a functional one, the method of typing stuck, and it became familiar to everyone else who frequently interacted with them. Most people who know SZ appreciate it and don't want it to change. So either deal with it, or ignore.

Dancj (and others) refuses to believe this, but that's just his colonial heritage getting in the way of himself.
    I refuse to believe it? That's the first time I've ever even heard that explanation so I've never been given the option of refusing to believe it.

That's not engaging. That's trolling.
    The post of mine that you consider trolling isn't the post I was talking about.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I refuse to believe it? That's the first time I've ever even heard that explanation so I've never been given the option of refusing to believe it.
    I've told it to you at least twice before the boards were wiped, and your response was "pull the other one".

So either deal with it, or ignore.
    There is nothing wrong with asking him/they/her to write in proper English whatever you find his writing charming or not. I have told if he/she/they wants to interact with me well then he/she/they has to change his/her/there typing others clearly feels the same way. SZ creates a wall with his/her/their spelling and instead of debating the content we are debating the form which is sad but brought upon himself/herself/themselves. SZ has chosen to stick with deliberately spelling incorrect.

BANNED

True....we/SZ got soooo tired of explaining.

Thnx Brady!

Now can we/SZ get bk 2 d topic of d thrd b4 we all get banned.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    SZ has chosen to stick with deliberately spelling incorrect.
    That's right. So you are still left with two options.

I've told it to you at least twice before the boards were wiped, and your response was "pull the other one".
    Not me. This thread is the only place where I've ever even seen SilverZeal post.

In my opinion when you take part in a public conversation and you can use the common language properly it is a matter of common courtesy to do so. When you are talking only with your friends and they don't mind taking the time to play your game then it's a different matter.

Regarding the Milestone characters, when the Static book was launched at the beginning of the new52 I read it, because it sounded like a character I might enjoy reading. However, the book was appalling. I don't know whether the creators or the editors are to blame, but DC should feel ashamed to give such a substandard product to their customers. Frankly, it is very difficult for a new character (new in the DCU, I know these characters have a previous history) to succeed when most people just want the same well-known characters, so what's the point if you are not even going to do a half-decent effort?

I'm getting more reluctant to trying new characters at the DCU or at MU lately. With honorable exceptions, they tend to put weak creators on those characters, and if it still happens to be good you know it's probably going to lose narrative momentum sooner rather than later because of getting involved in editorial stuff like unnecessary crossovers and tie-ins. Generally I prefer to go to the independents for new characters. I know that at least they care about their product and are going to try.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    The cover story is that the collective known as SilverZeal works on a computer with a busted keyboard.

But everyone knows it's really Prince commenting on comics.

(Silver's posts used to drive me bonkers, but after awhile, you start to follow the syntax and rhythm. They make a lot of great points, and it's nice to have another non-American perspective on comics, particularly when it comes to the subject of diversity.)
    Thnx FanboyStranger!

Quote Originally Posted by db105 View Post
    In my opinion when you take part in a public conversation and you can use the common language properly it is a matter of common courtesy to do so. When you are talking only with your friends and they don't mind taking the time to play your game then it's a different matter.

Regarding the Milestone characters, when the Static book was launched at the beginning of the new52 I read it, because it sounded like a character I might enjoy reading. However, the book was appalling. I don't know whether the creators or the editors are to blame, but DC should feel ashamed to give such a substandard product to their customers. Frankly, it is very difficult for a new character (new in the DCU, I know these characters have a previous history) to succeed when most people just want the same well-known characters, so what's the point if you are not even going to do a half-decent effort?

I'm getting more reluctant to trying new characters at the DCU or at MU lately. With honorable exceptions, they tend to put weak creators on those characters, and if it still happens to be good you know it's probably going to lose narrative momentum sooner rather than later because of getting involved in editorial stuff like unnecessary crossovers and tie-ins. Generally I prefer to go to the independents for new characters. I know that at least they care about their product and are going to try.
    Honestly, d way we/SZ c it...DC editorial sabotaged nu 52 Static.