Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Milestone

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I'm sorry but isn't DC/Warner Brothers letting OTHERS (IDW) using the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim shows for comics? If I have my own comic division shouldn't I be making those comics?

And logic dictates that if I man paying to use something I need to USE it. I don't sit up and pay someone to do nothing.

The issue with Static has not been comic book stores (many I know WISH that book was still around as it was a book that they knew would sell out and in some cases lead to other purchases). It's the quality of the books he is in.

Since 2009 he has been in some of the WORST runs of books.

I could see Desh's point IF they were developing other ORIGINAL minorities but seem to be getting tossed into limbo. Or making them a whipping boy in stories (John Stewart). Or they are the black version or white characters who will end up getting used as Big Event death fodder or more ammo to tick off folks (Wally West fans I feel you).

And if Dc is that scared that someone else will do a better job? Shouldn't you be using Static? And if you think someone else can do a better job-LET THEM!

You made the choice to not use them. YOU not the fans or comic book stores. I'm TIRED of seeing no name properties get chance after chance with no complaints-yet everyone can make excuses to not use Static.
    Not exactly. If they are paying to use the characters. They have already paid. They can choose not to. Its DC that is wasting money in that case. I buy something (like lets say a netflix account or whatever) I dont have to use it at all, it be dumb if i didnt use it but i by no means have to. Same goes for this.

As for the quality of the book i agree...sorta. The new 52 run was garbage but that had many factors to blame on but reguardless it was bad. However the character does have potential that DC chooses not to do anything with. Its a waste of DC's money. As much as i would like to see static, its kinda a smart move to some degree on DC's end.
    Milestone 2.0 is happening and i am so excited. Looks like i know where my money is going.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The issue with Static has not been comic book stores (many I know WISH that book was still around as it was a book that they knew would sell out and in some cases lead to other purchases). It's the quality of the books he is in.
    People say that a lot, and it's true that the book sucked. But even if it had been good, would it have lasted? It didn't have a very promising opening. You can look it up on Comichron:
    http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...1/2011-09.html

Static's #1 New 52 issue debuted behind books like Demon Knights, Batwing, Stormwatch, Firestorm, Grifter, and it was barely ahead of Omac. We all know what happened to those books. For whatever weird reason, Batwing was/is still being published despite its embarrassing numbers. The poor quality certainly didn't help, but regardless of that, I think Static Shock would have wound up as one of those "fringe" titles that doesn't make it.

I get the passionate fans, and I love Static, too, but I honestly think most of us are cartoon fans, which is a different audience. I'm not sure if Static's popularity translated to the comics audience, which is more wary of certain things. Probably because of simply how they are, and also because they actually have to buy this stuff instead of just casually seeing it on television.

I'm sure DC could have packaged and promoted the New 52 series better, but I don't think the quality is the only reason the series tanked.
    Last edited by Desh; 10-09-2014 at 05:12 PM.

IIRC, the last time Milestone characters were used by DC was in the Young Justice animated series: Icon was a member of the League, Rocket joined Young Justice, and Static joined Arsenal’s “outsiders” team. That was in 2012, IIRC. They were actually used quite effectively there. And I think they could work in the comics, too, providing the writing team (a) respects the characters and (b) doesn’t have a chip on its shoulder.

I’ve mentioned before my thoughts about merging Milestone and the “President Superman” Earth. Extrapolating a bit into wishful thinking territory: what I’d really like to see is Earth-23 reformatted (Earth-2-style) to flat-out replace the Calvin Ellis Superman with Icon (transferring the “he’s the POTUS” thing from Ellis to Freeman as a recent development in Icon’s story) and Steel with Hardware. Other DC characters who don’t have such strong parallels to existing Milestone characters could be kept or dropped as the writer sees fit (in terms of DC expies being added to the Milestone Earth, I’d keep it to a minimum; and I’d take my cues from Earth-D from 1999’s “Legends of the DCU: CoIE #4.5” for the ones that do get transferred: a hispanic Flash, a Native American Green Arrow, etc.); but it would primarily be Milestone characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    People say that a lot, and it's true that the book sucked. But even if it had been good, would it have lasted? It didn't have a very promising opening. You can look it up on Comichron:
    http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...1/2011-09.html
    We/SZ believe dat those nmbrs wud hv gotten much betta if DC editors & McDaniel were nt sooo darn dedic8d 2 sabotaging d buk by refusing d actual writer/Rozum 2 build & devlp his ideas....yet Rozum isa dedic8d fan of Static unlyk McDaniel & dc editors who neither cared nor undrstnd Static.

Static's #1 New 52 issue debuted behind books like Demon Knights, Batwing, Stormwatch, Firestorm, Grifter, and it was barely ahead of Omac. We all know what happened to those books.
    Certainly if word of mouth abt d 1st few issues being gr8, we/SZ believe d sales nmbrs wudhv slowly improved within d profitably safety margin of avoiding cancellat

For whatever weird reason, Batwing was/is still being published despite its embarrassing numbers. The poor quality certainly didn't help
    , but regardless of that, I think Static Shock would have wound up as one of those "fringe" titles that doesn't make it.
    Dpnds who u ask, we/SZ totally luvd Zavimbe's story as Batwing & droppd it whn Luke Fox Jr bcame d nw Batwing...only picking a few single issues sporadically while othr othr readrs wud tell u dey preferrd Fox Jr as Batwing.

Apparently sum people cannot "relate" 2 Zavimbe bcuz its apparently "unbelievable" dat African child soldiers can b orfans & hv AIDS(dis wasbasically Vic Vega's stance on Zavimbe)....yet dats true in real-lyf.
    I get the passionate fans, and I love Static, too, but I honestly think most of us are cartoon fans, which is a different audience. I'm not sure if Static's popularity translated to the comics audience, which is more wary of certain things. Probably because of simply how they are, and also because they actually have to buy this stuff instead of just casually seeing it on television.
    U mean lyk GL-JS?
    I'm sure DC could have packaged and promoted the New 52 series better, but I don't think the quality is the only reason the series tanked.
    U myt b ryt...probably... but we/SZ just hv 2 agree 2 disagree given hw DC editorial sided with McDaniel(a mediocre artist & non-writer who thinx he's a betta writer dan Rozum/an experienced writer) 2 botch-out Rozum.

HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by g. Boney View Post
    those are awesome
    Milestone 2.0 is happening and i am so excited. Looks like i know where my money is going.

Mighty Member

I enjoyed the different heroes and villains introduced in that Milestone run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post

Holy crap, who do I pay to get those?

BANNED

Seriously missing Milestone!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    I'm assuming those are costume made.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    I'm assuming those are costume made.
    I know that. That doesn't change the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    I wish I knew.

Just read the Welcome to Suntown arc of JLA it was really cool wish the Milestone characters had appeared more thou.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Just read the Welcome to Suntown arc of JLA it was really cool wish the Milestone characters had appeared more thou.
    YOu should look for the original story-Worlds Collide-where the actually story started from. Sadly it's not in trade and aside from Static #14-the other 13 parts are easy to find in bins. The books were Superman, Hardware, Icon, Static, WC Special, Blood Syndicate, Steel & Superboy.