View Poll Results: Did you like Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great! Can't wait for the next issue.

27 45.00%
  • Good. I like where this story is going.

24 40.00%
  • Meh. Not bad, but it could have been worse.

5 8.33%
  • Bad. I'm not a fan of this story.

2 3.33%
  • Awful. Wish I didn't read it.

2 3.33%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man #1

spoilers:

• - As seen in the preview Osborn is transferred from SHIELD to the federal government. Later in the issue he blows up the transport truck he is in.
      - The firefly twins make a robbery, they end up being front page news.
      - Miles and Kate is kissing on the stairs of the school, they talk about is dad.
      - Miles and Ganke discuss if it is wise to reveal that he is Spider-Man to Kate.
      - Miles decide to talk to MJ about it.
      - Miles and MJ talk, she says Miles could just aswell as Kate to marry him, it's that big.
      - And then Miles finds Peter in his dad's empty flat. The way they meet suggest that Peter did not intend to meet Miles at all.

end of spoilers

I think the issue is good a little slow paced, but it is Bendis after all. The MJ scene was the best in my opinion. Marquez is doing great as usual, but I begin to spot the similarities in his faces.

Overall it is a good issue, but I am not that excited, the story lacks something that I can not quite put my finger on.

Edit: As seen in the preview Osborn is alive, I really have a hard time with this. This is the second time that he is back from the dead, and him being around undermines Miles' supporting cast and villains. The fact that Miles hasn't had a villain, I hope to see again (apart from his uncle who is dead), is a huge problem for this series.
    Last edited by Rok; 05-07-2014 at 10:44 AM.

One of those twin Spider-Men is missing a finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Rok View Post
    spoilers:

• As seen in the preview Osborn is transferred from SHIELD to the federal government. Later in the issue he blows up the transport truck he is in.
    • The firefly twins make a robbery, they end up being front page news.
    • Miles and Kate is kissing on the stairs of the school, they talk about is dad.
    • Miles and Ganke discuss if it is wise to reveal that he is Spider-Man to Kate.
    • Miles decide to talk to MJ about it.
    • Miles and MJ talk, she says Miles could just aswell as Kate to marry him, it's that big.
    • And then Miles finds Peter in his dad's empty flat. The way they meet suggest that Peter did not intend to meet Miles at all.

end of spoilers

I think the issue is good a little slow paced, but it is Bendis after all. The MJ scene was the best in my opinion. Marquez is doing great as usual, but I begin to spot the similarities in his faces.

Overall it is a good issue, but I am not that excited, the story lacks something that I can not quite put my finger on.

The reveal at the end was just kind of like, "Oh, hey, what's up?" It didn't really have the punch you'd expect.

I'm a bit confused though, isn't Miles part of the "All New Ultimates" series as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry-Mann View Post
    I'm a bit confused though, isn't Miles part of the "All New Ultimates" series as well?
    He is, he even thinks of them when he is asked what he did last night.

Good on you for making a thread Rok. Already typed a review before I saw it, so here we go:

With this being the beginning to a new volume, I should let it be known - I haven't been the absolute biggest fan of the Miles Morales run on this book. I think there's been some good ideas, but the book has yet to find a solid footing, and the decompression has really hurt it. Also, the lack of well developed supporting characters has been a huge bummer for me.

However, I'm trying to turn over a new leaf with the new #1. And this issue seems to be helping.

There's some good and bad stuff in here, but the character work is what holds this book together. Katie Bishop has been effectively absent from this book since her introduction, which - in my opinion - is unacceptable for a girlfriend character. But this is a good start. And MJ's inclusion was great. Of course, Ganke stole the show as usual, continuing to be the best new character of this book.

As for the plot? There's not much there. It's pretty much 100% setup. The decompression is painful again. Norman escapes - the Spider Twins attack - Miles has relationship issues… that's about it. The new bad guys are off to a great start, probably my favorite part of this story so far, and they feel like classic Ultimate Spider-man. But the rest, I'm just not sure about yet.

I'm really not sure if I like Norman's return. Beyond the fact that him dying alongside Peter would have been a much better ending, this just feels repetitive. What is going to be said about Norman Osborn in this book that Bendis hasn't said already?

Peter's return, on the other hand, is a bit more interesting. I'm sure we can all agree that it's not REALLY Peter, right? I don't even think we're supposed to believe that it is, because it doesn't feel like there's that much weight in the scene (plus, Peter would never just break into Miles' apartment like that).

And while "Peter" and Norman returning is interesting, it continues to feel like Miles is continually forced into Peter's shadow. I love Peter's cast and the plot lines that Bendis is borrowing from, but I also think that Miles should be given stories of his own.

The art, however, was outstanding. This may be Marquez's best issue yet. I hate cutting the art section of my review so short, but there's nothing to complain about - it's all amazing. I like the eclectic styles of UFF and ANU, but Marquez is really doing killer work here.

A few minor gripes:

-Miles goes to boarding school. He shouldn't be having to go home to get new clothes or over to Ganke's house on a regular basis. Either Bendis forgot this, or the school has changed and he's neglecting to mention that.
    -I really can't stand the text message panels that have become a mainstay in this book.It's just unnecessary filler.
    -Norman's escape was extremely convenient and cliché. Sure, it works, I suppose - but how obvious was that?

A few good things:

-The MJ flashback to the bridge - fantastic (even if Peter wasn't wearing a backpack at the time… I can't recall).
    -The All-New Ultimates shout out.
    -"I have decided there's no such thing as too hot for me." - Good on you, Ganke.

I should stop expecting anything other than decompression from Bendis, because that's really the only thing that truly bothers me here. Even the dialogue was better than usual. But as long as the characters can keep getting good focus, this volume is going to be a good one.

Ratings:
    Writing: 7/10
    Story: 6/10
    Art: 9/10
    Overall: 7/10

Final verdict:

A nice, character driven start to the new volume of USM. A little light on plot, but if you've been a fan of the Miles era, you'll love this. And if not, this is a great jumping on point.

great book

I like that Peter might be back. Norman, not so much.
    TOP FIVE PULLS AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, HULK, NICE HOUSE, NIGHTWING, SAGA

just picked my copy up. Had to get both the regular cover and that sweet variant by Peterson

Yea I choose to remain skeptical about that being Peter (wouldn't be the first time Bendis has trolled the audience with something like that). For now, my bets are either that's a clone, robot, or someone who's faking Peter's appearance for some plot of theirs.

BANNED

Good issue. My only reservation being whether it's the real Peter or not. It would feel kind of cheap, in my opinion, to not have to be the real deal.

Ultimate Member

Peter's death was one of the best ends of a major comic book character that I've ever seen. Bringing him back now would be really cheap. He works better as a symbol and it would also seriously undermine Miles as a character. That being said, I don't think that that's the real Peter.

All-New Member

It seems that bendis really is revisiting the clone saga for after 200.

Fantastic Member

I love Miles, but I want it to be Peter...

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Peter...?

Is it the Scorpion Clone?! Did they get that suit off him and revealed that he has 5 Fingers?!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Good issue. My only reservation being whether it's the real Peter or not. It would feel kind of cheap, in my opinion, to not have to be the real deal.
    I disagree, Peter died a good death. Scorpion Clone has been talked about since The Clone Saga and stuff and fans have been wondering what he's doing. Besides it would be nice for Jessica to be able to team-up with her other surviving cloned Sibling and help him become his own person and to be more than just "Peter's other Clone".

He could even be the Scarlet Spider and take on the name Kaine!
    Last edited by Sardorim; 05-07-2014 at 12:00 PM.