View Poll Results: Did you like Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great! Can't wait for the next issue.

27 45.00%
  • Good. I like where this story is going.

24 40.00%
  • Meh. Not bad, but it could have been worse.

5 8.33%
  • Bad. I'm not a fan of this story.

2 3.33%
  • Awful. Wish I didn't read it.

2 3.33%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    All-New Member The Amazing Spider-Man's Avatar

Having read it, I am hoping that isn't Peter Parker.

I agree with some here, having Norman still be alive does cheapen Peter's death.

I am rather surprised he is alive, as they have killed off some important characters and have kept them dead.

Wolverine, Captain America, Xavier, DareDevil, and they were going strong with Peter Parker.

We'll see how it turns out, but I am hoping this is a clone of his. Something along the lines of Ben Reilly, and we can get an Ultimate Scarlet Spider.

As an aside, I've been a lurker for many years of this fine forum and I have just joined.
    Last edited by The Amazing Spider-Man; 05-08-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Amazing Spider-Man View Post
    Having read it, I really hope that isn't Peter Parker.

I agree with some here, having Norman be alive does cheapen Peter's death. I am actually kinda surprised he is alive, because in the ultimate universe they have killed off some important characters and have kept them dead.

Wolverine, Captain America, Xavier, DareDevil, and they were going strong with Peter Parker, and I'm hoping this is a clone along the lines of Ben Reilly.

Also, I've been a lurker for many years of this fine forum. Just joined.
    Welcome!

"Dead is dead" rule was broken with Osborn when he came back to kill Peter. In the "death of a goblin" story Carol Denvers shot him point blank in the face with a hulk-busker gun.
    Personally I hope that it is a shape-shifter, I think the clone sage (circa issue 100 USM v1) was really good, but I got my taste for clones settled back then.

Quote Originally Posted by The Amazing Spider-Man View Post
    Having read it, I am hoping that isn't Peter Parker.

I agree with some here, having Norman still be alive does cheapen Peter's death.

I am rather surprised he is alive, as they have killed off some important characters and have kept them dead.

Wolverine, Captain America, Xavier, DareDevil, and they were going strong with Peter Parker.

We'll see how it turns out, but I am hoping this is a clone of his. Something along the lines of Ben Reilly, and we can get an Ultimate Scarlet Spider.

As an aside, I've been a lurker for many years of this fine forum and I have just joined.
    From a very basic storytelling and marketing perspective, it can't be Peter. Marvel and Bendis wouldn't want anything to steal Miles' thunder in his own first issue. They want this kid to last, and they won't undercut that by bringing back the original and more popular Spider-Man.

In terms of story, if it's Peter, where do they go from here? He can't share the title with Miles. Miles' existence depends on there not being a Peter around. As beloved as Miles has become, Peter is and will always continue to be a more popular character. If he's around he'll overshadow Miles and no one really wants that. Even if they give Peter a happy ending and let him walk off into the sunset with Mary Jane, his presence will still loom over the book as if at any minute he could come back and be the main focus again. Peter needs to be dead and in the ground for Miles to continue. It'll be the last Peter clone or the Chameleon or something. He'll end up being either a villain, or someone to die heroically while fighting the returning Norman Osborn.

All-New Member The Amazing Spider-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rok View Post
    Welcome!

"Dead is dead" rule was broken with Osborn when he came back to kill Peter. In the "death of a goblin" story Carol Denvers shot him point blank in the face with a hulk-busker gun.
    Personally I hope that it is a shape-shifter, I think the clone sage (circa issue 100 USM v1) was really good, but I got my taste for clones settled back then.
    Thank you for welcoming me!

Yes, I agree that that rule has been broken. I wish they didn't feel they have to resort to these storytelling tactics. It is my opinion that if you have to bring a character back to life, you are running out of ideas.

Which is my whole thing against Jason Todd as Red Hood in Batman.

That's not to say I didn't like Gwen coming back, at least that was explained "scientifically" by her being a molecular copy.

Like I said, I really hope this is a clone with Parker's memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    From a very basic storytelling and marketing perspective, it can't be Peteri. Marvel and Bendis wouldn't want anything to steal Miles' thunder in his own first issue. They want this kid to last, and they won't undercut that by bringing back the original and more popular Spider-Man.

In terms of story, if it's Peter, where do they go from here? He can't share the title with Miles. Miles' existence depends on there not being a Peter around. As beloved as Miles has become, Peter is and will always continue to be a more popular character. If he's around he'll overshadow Miles and no one really wants that. Even if they give Peter a happy ending and let him walk off into the sunset with Mary Jane, his presence will still loom over the book as if at any minute he could come back and be the main focus again. Peter needs to be dead and in the ground for Miles to continue. It'll be the last Peter clone or the Chameleon or something. He'll end up being either a villain, or someone to die heroically while fighting the returning Norman Osborn.
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    Last edited by The Amazing Spider-Man; 05-08-2014 at 01:10 AM.

I don't want Peter to be back (nor I do think it's actually him), but this was an intriguing issue. I'm happy to see Norman back though! I've been re-reading the original USM series lately, Peter's villains are far more threatening than Miles's have been. He sorely needs a menacing villain like Norman, but I'd prefer he had his own.

Peter is loved more because he's white. Alot of people love Ben. He's not the original. It was alot of racism when Miles became spiderman.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStorm View Post
    Peter is loved more because he's white. Alot of people love Ben. He's not the original. It was alot of racism when Miles became spiderman.
    I disagree with the first bold, but very much agree with the second bolded part.

Peter is loved more because he's the more familiar and original Spider-Man. I'd argue that Miles is a better and more interesting character, but the fandom is what it is.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Peter is loved more because he's Peter, the originator, the guy people have been relating to since 1962. I know I stopped buying the book when Peter died because the books weren't about Peter anymore. I did the same thing when Superior Spider-Man started, and characters don't get much whiter than Doctor Octopus.

Wasn't one the the tag lines for an upcoming book questioning whether or not Norman actually killed Peter? People took it as Peter is still alive. But maybe it means that wasn't really Norman.

The bolded part is just not true. Peter was more liked because his books are/were better, just compare USM 1-28 v.1 with the 28 Miles books pre-cataclysm, the quality gap between those two titles is HUGE.

Other problems are:

1) Miles is out-shined by his own supporting cast. He is the least interesting character in most of his scenes, Jess and Ganke are the two most interesting characters in the book. If Marvel had cared for the quality of the book post-DoSM they should have made it a Jessica book.

2) His only villain with staying power (his uncle) was killed off. Electro, Venom, Rhino and Roxxon was Peter's villains. I get it, you have to re-use some of the standard SM villains, but you also have to make new ones who are re-useable. And re-using the ONLY villain who has PP written all over him, is not going to remove this critique.

Funny thing is, having him actually be Peter would be the only thing that could take us by surprise.

I liked most of it. Nice echoes of what Peter was going through back in the first year of Ultimate Spider-Man.

I don't really care for the cliffhanger. It seems problematic to tease something plenty of the readers want to be true without it actually happening.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Model 1911A1 Cal .45 View Post
    Wasn't one the the tag lines for an upcoming book questioning whether or not Norman actually killed Peter? People took it as Peter is still alive. But maybe it means that wasn't really Norman.
    Well Peter died because he got shot. Peter bleed out, and Norman wasn't the one who shot him.

Pretty good issue. Can't see that being the real Peter, just because of all the problems it brings in. Glad to see Norman back, though, it was obvious he survived. Its funny that he always escapes the same way.

It's obviously not Peter. Between the odd way he was introduced and his dialogue, nothing about it felt even slightly like Peter was back. And rightly so.

As for the rest of the issue, I liked it. Especially the conversation between Miles and MJ. It's comforting to know that there's at least one well-written and intelligent MJ existing in some part of the MU right now.
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 05-08-2014 at 01:49 PM.