Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I kind of hope they don't take a Man of Steel/Batman Begins approach to this. Grounded and realistic don't seem like they'd work for the Power Ranger franchise. I'm also kind of curious what villain they'll go with. Rita seems like she'd make sense for a straight and faithful reboot, but I can't help but think that Zedd might be the way to go. He's an original US creation, was pretty popular, and it wouldn't be much of a stretch to turn him into a Thanos/Darkseid-esque intergalactic badass.

Also, I really hope they keep the helmets and bright colors for the costumes.
    ~Ken

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Billy won't be back apparently as a gay man he was harassed by production staff. It's why he left the show.
    When the hell was billy gay??? I really missed that one as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by lostphrack View Post
    I kind of hope they don't take a Man of Steel/Batman Begins approach to this. Grounded and realistic don't seem like they'd work for the Power Ranger franchise. I'm also kind of curious what villain they'll go with. Rita seems like she'd make sense for a straight and faithful reboot, but I can't help but think that Zedd might be the way to go. He's an original US creation, was pretty popular, and it wouldn't be much of a stretch to turn him into a Thanos/Darkseid-esque intergalactic badass.

Also, I really hope they keep the helmets and bright colors for the costumes.
    Zedd was also pretty intense by kid standards. He did essentially look like a human body with no skin wearing Shredder armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameszahra View Post
    The character wasn't; the actor was. Reports are he left the show because a number of people on the set harassed him for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameszahra View Post
    The actor not the character. David Yost.

I prefer Rita, Goldar and Scorpina for the first movie. Of course you would have puddies/putties and maybe a couple of monsters

I hope Michael Bay is involved in some way...

It's time he "shared the love" with a mid-'90s franchise.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I was in middle school when this first hit the air waves. Kind of interesting where most of the actors are now.

Trini's actress Thuy Trang sadly passed away in an automobile accident.
    Aisha's actress now is a well known voice actress
    Jason became a EMT and a Firefighter in Washington DC
    Rocky is a well know martial arts champion
    Adam's actor (Johnny Yong Boshe) is also a well known Voice actor
    Jason David Frank, Green Ranger, is a famous Martial artist champion as well
    Kimberly actress is now in various Canadian series including Flashpoint
    Zack's actor also does voice acting, including monsters in the newer Power rangers
    Billy's actor still acts but also produces tv and films
    Bulk's actor Pauly Shore actually became an animator at Disney and still acts.
    Jason Narvey, Skull, got a PHD in acting and is now teaching at colleges.

I'd happily see this movie if they did it right.

Now, Saban...give us Kamen Rider Damn it! That series is just as cool and could be marketing gold!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    But I can't see the appeal of a Power Rangers reboot. It's a series that hasn't been relevant in over a decade.
    In all this time, the show has never stopped being on the air. There are new episodes almost every week and the old ones are all available on DVD and Netflix. There is a huge Power Ranger fan community and Power Morphicon is a really big deal. Companies are really pushing the adult collectibles lately. Also, all the kids that started out watching the series 20 years ago are now exactly the demographic most movie studios cater too. I fail to see how the series is no longer relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Parking Meter View Post
    In all this time, the show has never stopped being on the air. There are new episodes almost every week and the old ones are all available on DVD and Netflix. There is a huge Power Ranger fan community and Power Morphicon is a really big deal. Companies are really pushing the adult collectibles lately. Also, all the kids that started out watching the series 20 years ago are now exactly the demographic most movie studios cater too. I fail to see how the series is no longer relevant.
    To add, the movie combines two things that are quite hot right now: superheroes and kaiju. And then, this wave of nostalgia (TMNT, Transformers, etc) is meant to appeal both to kids and the adults who grew up with it and now have disposable income. It's hard to gauge just who this movie's intended audience will be for sure, but we can probably thank Jerry Bruckheimer and Pacific Rim for this latest development.

I've no idea how the tv show is going to be affected, if it will at all.

BANNED

While I did grow up with Power Rangers and enjoyed it as a kid, it's definitely one of those things that seems inexcusably cheesy to my adult self, rather than something I look back on with fond nostalgic feelings. Trying to make it into some dark and edgy "serious" film, which is undoubtedly the intent, is really not going to work, and throwing a huge budget behind a remake of a show that was appalling stingy in its production values, even by the standards of the day, doesn't seem like a recipe for success either.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    While I did grow up with Power Rangers and enjoyed it as a kid, it's definitely one of those things that seems inexcusably cheesy to my adult self, rather than something I look back on with fond nostalgic feelings.
    Yeah, that's the tricky part, isn't it? How does one quantify and measure nostalgia so that you can take a calculated risk with a multimillion dollar project? Toys are one thing -- Saban's been releasing redesigned versions of the original early 90s toys with gold and die cast metal starting at $70 a pop, but their prices can quickly reach $300 or more on eBay -- but frankly, what other measures are there? It's one thing to say that Saban might have exaggerated the nostalgic value, but then what convinced Lionsgate to say yes?

I suppose we'll find out once the movie comes out. I'm looking forward to this, but I'm really curious as to how both companies came to this decision. Or maybe Toei (the original Super Sentai owners) want to compete with Toho somehow? Hm.

BANNED

Could be fun stuff. I'm a big fan of Super Sentai, the original shows they edited into Power Rangers, still going strong after decades. I liked the recent Gokaiger a lot. And I grew up with Power Rangers, gotta love that theme song.

For me there are two things they need to remember for this. Lots of practical stuntwork and insanely awesome fun fights that would make Jackie Chan proud. And lots of fun, style, humor, and imagination. Okay maybe that's more than two things.

And I can't help but comment on a previous post about not including a woman in a bikini. Why not? Clearly they will be on a beach looking for some kind of alien relic at some point, might as well dress comfortably. And alien villains and villainesses can dress any way they want. I'm sure this'll be PG-13, and while I'm not saying go dark and gritty, I do think appealing to teens (and adults) and not being strictly a kids only thing would be good. Think say Iron Man in tone. Or maybe Guardians of the Galaxy.

Even Toy Story has Bo Peep, what a seductress she is! Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by lostphrack View Post
    I kind of hope they don't take a Man of Steel/Batman Begins approach to this. Grounded and realistic don't seem like they'd work for the Power Ranger franchise.

I am the exact opposite. I feel like a Man of Steel/ Dark Knight Trilogy style would be more interesting as I like darker superhero stories and grounding the series more would require them to explain a lot of the illogical stuff you notice when you re watch the series when you are older lol. Things like the monster always standing steal and doing nothing while they transform into their costumes or forming the megazord, Rita's wand always landing right next to the monster to make it grow big and never once missing and hitting a ranger or someone else, there being no police force to help deal with the monsters ( I know the Angel Grove police department actually started getting screen time in season 3 though), and having giant robots and monsters right in the city,destroying buildings while never stepping on everyone and no one ever mentioning how on a weekly basis the city is always getting destroyed lol.

Now I know this movie will be watched mostly by people our age who grew up with Power Rangers being cheesy and kids still watch it today so the movie could get away with the cheesy factor. Either way I would care though as I have wanted a Power Ranger movie in its own universe for awhile now so this is very good news.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by toddx77 View Post
    I am the exact opposite. I feel like a Man of Steel/ Dark Knight Trilogy style would be more interesting as I like darker superhero stories and grounding
    -----
    Now I know this movie will be watched mostly by people our age who grew up with Power Rangers being cheesy and kids still watch it today so the movie could get away with the cheesy factor. Either way I would care though as I have wanted a Power Ranger movie in its own universe for awhile now so this is very good news.
    While I agree that it'd be nice to have content that'll entertain adults too, adults do enjoy comedy and more lighthearted action adventure too. Why would it need to be gritty and completely serious like Batman? It works for Batman, but that doesn't play to the strengths of the franchise I'd say. Just saying, remember Jackie Chan? Comedy and action can fit like a glove, and humor has always been a big part of this series.

I prefer Rita, Goldar and Scorpina for the first movie. Of course you would have puddies/putties and maybe a couple of monsters
    While some nods like that might give a kick to us oldschool fans, the beauty of the series is how it keeps getting a new cast. In Japan each year it's a completely new story with a new cast, unconnected to the previous ones. I don't think they need to be limited to characters from a particular early 90s version. Might as well make original characters here, they've done it every year for decades.
    Last edited by Psycho; 05-07-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Incredible Member

Billy won't be back apparently as a gay man he was harassed by production staff. It's why he left the show.
    Reckon they should make the new Blue Ranger gay in the films. Tip of the hat and all that.