Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Y: The Last Man" Film Dead, Rights Revert to Vaughan, Guerra

Once slated to direct the movie adaptation of Brian K/ Vaughan and Pia Guerra's series, Dan Trachtenberg confirms rights have reverted back to its creators.

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Once slated to direct the movie adaptation of Brian K/ Vaughan and Pia Guerra's series, Dan Trachtenberg confirms rights have reverted back to its creators.

Full article here.
    HBO, Showtime and AMC better be paying attention.
    How about Alex?

Ah this is kind of bittersweet news for me, I was looking forward to a movie but I agree that it would work much better as a TV series (like most comic properties). There would be just too much to fit in or edit out of a movie.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by havok View Post
    HBO, Showtime and AMC better be paying attention.
    Completely agreed. A single film of Y would've been a complete mess, but a trilogy would've been a real tough sell for movie audiences. TV is the way to go for this.

A small sceen adaptation for Netflix seems ideal to me, though. I'm just worried that someone like AMC or HBO would draw it out too long compared to the way Netflix is planning their Marvel series as short runs.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

The timing is perfect, TV is desperate for comic properties and Y is a superb fit.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

This is certainly disappointing. If ever there was a comic that deserved a movie, it's Y: The Last Man. I hope Vaughn is able to do something with it at some point. I think it would make an awesome Walking Dead style TV show. I also think it would make a great movie trilogy. Considering the success comic book movies have had in recent years, the time is perfect for a Y: The Last Man movie. And now that time may pass it by.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Even the director working on it thinks it would be better as a TV series:
    Expressing sadness that his version of "Y" will never make it to the screen, Trachtenberg concedes in his statement to Slashfilm that, "Like everyone else who’s a fan of the series I had always wished it either remain in its comic book form [...] or, if it must be made, a TV series would be the only thing that would suffice."

So you're saying I should sell my HSX Stock in Y: The Last Man?

BANNED

I am actually very very pleased about this. Y The Last Man would not work as a film at all. There are certain comics that just feel like a TV show and that was one of them. A movie would be pointless. I'm very happy that this movie will never get made, and hopefully whatever adaptation that eventually comes will be a TV show, maybe on Netflix or HBO.

Netflix!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    I am actually very very pleased about this. Y The Last Man would not work as a film at all. There are certain comics that just feel like a TV show and that was one of them. A movie would be pointless. I'm very happy that this movie will never get made, and hopefully whatever adaptation that eventually comes will be a TV show, maybe on Netflix or HBO.
    Well, not necessarily never. Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull took 20 years, but still happened, so who knows about this? Might still be a chance, for better or worse.

Never seems to strong, but...who knows what might happen?

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Well, not necessarily never. Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull took 20 years, but still happened
    Is that really the example you want to use?

I mean, i'm one of the few people who didn't hate it and even had a good time but even I wouldn't say "don't worry, look how long it took to get Crystal Skull"

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I never have thought it was good fit for a movie property anyway so I am glad. Like everyone else has already said this kind of property is much more suited for a TV show. I think even in a trilogy of movies you would lose too much of the heart and pacing of the story that made it so good to begin with.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    The timing is perfect, TV is desperate for comic properties and Y is a superb fit.
    Desperate is a harsh word. If they only wanted to do comic adaptations there would still be a ton of great stuff out there to inspire them.

Spectacular Member

i feel like this is going to get mocked, but i think zac efron would make a great yorrick.