Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Default Guilty Pleasures In Pop Culture

So, just for fun, what are your favorite guilty pleasures in comic books, music, TV shows and movies? I'll begin with mine:

COMIC BOOKS
    Betty and Veronica Vixens: This ten issue series featured Archie's girls as co-leaders of an all-female biker gang, yes, BIKER GANG! On the surface, the premise was ridiculous, but it worked and I liked it. What made this series really cool was that it was written, drawn, lettered and colored by women.

MUSIC
    J-Pop, a.k.a. Japanese Pop Music: Even though I can't speak or understand a lick of Japanese, I've loved their pop music since the late 1970's when I was stationed in Japan in the Navy and discovered Pink Lady. Today, I love listening to the likes of AKB48, Scandal, Band-Maid and Perfume.

TV SHOWS
    The Great British Baking Show: I'm worse than useless in the kitchen and could burn water if given half a chance, but this delightfully genteel British baking elimination competition is crazy fascinating to me and I've loved watching it since stumbling onto it on PBS several years ago and now watch on Netflix.

MOVIES
    Godzilla (1998): I've heard that most dedicated Godzilla/kaiju fans were said to have HATED this version of the Big G by the creators of Independence Day, but I found it enjoyable in it's own way. As a stand alone monster movie, it provided all the fun one would expect.

There's my guilty pleasures. Time to list yours!
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 01-03-2021 at 03:52 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

1998 Godzilla was not only a fun alternate version of the monster, it was loads better than either of the two recent films. (but nothing was better than Shin)
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    TV SHOWS
    The Great British Baking Show: I'm worse than useless in the kitchen and could burn water if given half a chance, but this delightfully genteel British baking elimination competition is crazy fascinating to me and I've loved watching it since stumbling onto it on PBS several years ago and now watch on Netflix.
    I don't know why it's a "guilty" pleasure. Everyone watches it, and unabashedly loves it.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I don't know why it's a "guilty" pleasure. Everyone watches it, and unabashedly loves it.
    Really? I wasn’t aware of that. Clearly I need to get out more.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

It's been a cultural phenomenon for the last few years in America. It's on a downward trend now, though, it seems.

Retired

I don't really feel guilty about much of anything I watch or read. The closest is MELROSE PLACE. I didn't watch it that much when it first aired, but some years ago I had a job where I finished work at seven in the morning and when I came home I'd watch this in syndication before going to bed. Just recently I started rewatching it again. It's a terrible show, but a lot of fun. I'm forever yelling at the characters on the screen and calling them out on their b.s.

Boisterously Confused

Flash Gordon is cinematic cheesy goodness genius and I will fight anybody saying otherwise to the death!

Flash_gordon_movie_poster.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post

MUSIC
    J-Pop, a.k.a. Japanese Pop Music: Even though I can't speak or understand a lick of Japanese, I've loved their pop music since the late 1970's when I was stationed in Japan in the Navy and discovered Pink Lady. Today, I love listening to the likes of AKB48, Scandal, Band-Maid and Perfume.
    J-Pop is mine, too!

I'm a big Ayumi Hamasaki fan. X-Japan, too, but they're not pop.

MOVIES
    Godzilla (1998): I've heard that most dedicated Godzilla/kaiju fans were said to have HATED this version of the Big G by the creators of Independence Day, but I found it enjoyable in it's own way. As a stand alone monster movie, it provided all the fun one would expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    1998 Godzilla was not only a fun alternate version of the monster, it was loads better than either of the two recent films. (but nothing was better than Shin)
    As a big time Godzilla fan, I feel compelled to say that while 1998 was not a good Godzilla movie in the slightest, it was a better-than-average kaiju film and would probably have done better had it been named something other than Godzilla.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    J-Pop is mine, too!

I'm a big Ayumi Hamasaki fan. X-Japan, too, but they're not pop.

As a big time Godzilla fan, I feel compelled to say that while 1998 was not a good Godzilla movie in the slightest, it was a better-than-average kaiju film and would probably have done better had it been named something other than Godzilla.
    Had it been named something else, no one would have seen it. Though with only a few tweaks to the story, it could have been a remake to The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, which after all Godzilla was a copy of.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Late '60s-early '70s bubblegum pop (the Archies, 1910 Fruitgum Co., etc.)

Low-budget action movies from the '80s & '90s starring the likes of Michael Dudikoff, Sasha Mitchell, and Don "the Dragon" Wilson

Filmation, Hanna-Barbera, and Ruby-Spears cartoons

My guilty pleasure is my buddies on Ancient Aliens.

And Jerry Springer.