Super Moderator

Default Kyle Higgins' "C.O.W.L." Goes Corrupt With Latest Turn

As the first arc ends, Image Comics' "C.O.W.L." twists its story into a different kind of period piece with murder, back room deals and the return of supervillains.

Full article here.

Amazing Member

Uggh...issue #5 was a gut punch. The one character I was actually invested in. Super bummed.

Absolutely stunning twists! I love everything about this book, the writing is crisp and the stylized art of crime noir/superhero theme is very complimentary with backdrop of the city of Chicago. Very well paced and thought out book that deserves all the acclaim it can get.

Agree with both post. Can't believe the killed him. This was already a dark book that turned much darker. If there was any thought that Warren wasn't completely corrupt, that he was unscrupulous but trying to do the right thing, that's over.

Really great book so far. I enjoyed Higgins on Nightwing but it makes me wonder how good it could've been if he was able to do what he wanted instead if being interrupted with tie ins.

Quote Originally Posted by gburr60 View Post
    Really great book so far. I enjoyed Higgins on Nightwing but it makes me wonder how good it could've been if he was able to do what he wanted instead if being interrupted with tie ins.
    Sorry but that line of thought simply isn't fair. Nightwing will never be as good as a book as any independent book, simply because Nightwing is a commercial product, not a storyline. Higgins knows this so he wrote Nightwing as intended by corporate direction. Nobody gets free reign with an intellectual property from Marvel or DC, so you go in writing with your hands tied.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

What a twiiiiiiiiist.

Great book!
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Quote Originally Posted by cray_ws View Post
    Sorry but that line of thought simply isn't fair. Nightwing will never be as good as a book as any independent book, simply because Nightwing is a commercial product, not a storyline.
    What a pretentious comment. It's still a story even if it's a commercial product. COWL is technically a commercial product, too, since it's an item up for sale in the marketplace. It just happens to be owned by the people who created it.

Hickman's Fantastic Four, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Brian Michael Bendis's Daredevil, Brubaker & Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist, Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, Warren Ellis's Thunderbolts, Morrison's Batman, Lemire's Green Arrow, Morrison's Animal Man and many others I can think of are just as good as any independent series.
    Last edited by Swamp Thing 2099; 10-02-2014 at 12:05 PM.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by longbowhunter View Post
    Uggh...issue #5 was a gut punch. The one character I was actually invested in. Super bummed.
    Exactly, now that they(the author) removed the only character with a brain, I am not 100% sure that's a good thing.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Just read issues 3, 4 and 5 in a row last night and I've gone from thinking COWL is a cool idea to thinking it's a really good book.

The Chicago they live in is set up really well, there are already a good number of threads flapping around, ready to be examined and with the death in issue 5 and last page twist, there's a lot to work on next issue. Whilst it's true that killing a character that had a lot of potential is a risk, I think the fact that it fills out other characters who took the decision to do it, makes it worthwhile. Plus we're only five issues in, so there's plenty of time for the others to become more in-depth.

Anyway yeah, love it.

Got into the series the other day. Really love what they're doing here. Hated what happened in issue 5 but it does give a lot of ways to move things forward.

This is my new favorite book. I used to really be a DC/Marvel guy, then, I gave up on comics for six months and when I came back, I discovered C.O.W.L. Thanks a lot, to the creators!