Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    If any of you have the time, go back and check some of the posts from a couple of years ago about the BP movie before it was released.

Compare them to the success of the BP movie. You'll find some interesting posts.

Any specifics?
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    for the next movie I'd like to see secret Invasion since Marvel is going towards the Skrulls now. that gives every character a chance to do something on screen and maybe put Shuri in storms place if they don't have access to the character.
    Also no michael b killmonger in this movie.
    Normally, I'd like this but with the whole Black Order assault on Wakanda I think having the Skrulls follow that might feel redundant.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Any specifics?
    What the story should be about.

Who should be cast and who got cast.(Those were some interesting debates).

What other heroes should be in it.

Which writer's take on Panther will have more influence.

I know I was way off on some of my posts.

I think I'll repost a few of my "totally off-base" predictions/suggestions.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    I pretty much have the same complaints about the movie that are on this page. http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post36364001

I hope the russo brothers have an infinitely better take on the character than Coogler.
    YESS

This is exactly what I was saying. For all the things people have had issues with Coates for, it's surprising they're hyped here but then complain about T'Challa being a side-character in his own book. It gives complaints less weight.

Black Panther was a GREAT movie. But T'Challa himself lacked most of the traits that made him one of my favorite superheroes. People complain here about minor things - T'Challa crying, or not killing Namor. And a lot of it shows up to me as toxic.

Funny enough though, the movie had both things - T'Challa crying (ancestral plane) and him failing to keep his promise to capture Klaue... USING THE EXACT SAME LINE HE GAVE TO NAMOR! "Every breath you take is mercy from me," and he fails.

So when I see people who trashed Hickman's run, then praise the same elements in this movie... And trash Coates's run, which builds the world of Wakanda more than T'Challa himself... I realize why Marvel goes in the direction it does regardless of complaints like the ones here.

I'm going to reiterate - I don't like Coates's run. I love Hickman's run. I loved Black Panther, the movie. That said, the issues I have with Coates's run and this movie are the same - T'Challa himself doesn't amount to that much outside of some physical feats. But one of the things that makes the character so appealing - to me at least - is his matchless mind. Without it, here he is just a king and a superhero. And honestly, that's kind of depressing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SKJoker View Post
    YESS

This is exactly what I was saying. For all the things people have had issues with Coates for, it's surprising they're hyped here but then complain about T'Challa being a side-character in his own book. It gives complaints less weight.

It does not because as been said before in this very thread and as the movie depicted that T’Challa IS the main character, the disconnect is that some just wanted him to do everything or aren’t use to the supporting characters still being around for the second and majority of the third act

Black Panther was a GREAT movie. But T'Challa himself lacked most of the traits that made him one of my favorite superheroes. People complain here about minor things - T'Challa crying, or not killing Namor. And a lot of it shows up to me as toxic.

If that’s what you got from people's complaints you misunderstood what they’re actually complaining about which was that the crying wasn’t going to get him anywhere as we knew someone else would solve it and probably not make him come off like a effect hero( and this was proven right) and most including myself said him threatening to kill Namor would ring hollow because there was no way they’d actually let him do it( right again ). Where in the movie he cried because he was sick that the man he looked up to the most could do something that to him was sickening and basically tainted how he views him and despite not threatening anyone T’Challa still took a couple lives and did so for Wakanda

Funny enough though, the movie had both things - T'Challa crying (ancestral plane) and him failing to keep his promise to capture Klaue... USING THE EXACT SAME LINE HE GAVE TO NAMOR! "Every breath you take is mercy from me," and he fails.
    So we’re just going to skip over Killmonger throwing a wrench into that plan and T’Challa having to make a choice that again effects all of Wakanda for two friends? I don’t recall anything like that going down in the comics

So when I see people who trashed Hickman's run, then praise the same elements in this movie... And trash Coates's run, which builds the world of Wakanda more than T'Challa himself... I realize why Marvel goes in the direction it does regardless of complaints like the ones here.
    It’s sounds like you’re upset over different things that unfortunately aren’t close to being similar outside of a few things ie him crying

I'm going to reiterate - I don't like Coates's run. I love Hickman's run. I loved Black Panther, the movie. That said, the issues I have with Coates's run and this movie are the same - T'Challa himself doesn't amount to that much outside of some physical feats. But one of the things that makes the character so appealing - to me at least - is his matchless mind. Without it, here he is just a king and a superhero. And honestly, that's kind of depressing.

Really because in both the movie and in the comics pre-Coates T’Challa racked up a lot of psychological feats as well ie him dealing with M’Baku, Ross and diplomacy, even a bit with Killmonger and diplomacy again at the very end of the movie

Complaints about Coates handling of BP/Wakanda made by fans in this thread:

No Afro-futurism
    Wakanda being portrayed as misogynistic
    Tree-house rape camps
    Ineffective use of the farce push
    Ineffective leadership by T'Challa
    T'Challa meeting with dictators on how to quell a rebellion
    Using BP as a stealth title
    Little to no feats

None of those issues were present in the BP movie.

YESS

It's all about how it's handled. For instance, Tuesday crying in Hickmans run. Totally out of nowhere, a guy who was willing to plunge the World into WW3 on Priest run is crying like a child and beings scolded by daddy for hos decision to spare the other world it was done poorly. Sane with failing to kill Namor. He didn't serve any more purpose to the story other then to crack jokes and then was killed by Doom, the failure isn't justified. For the Coates comparison, Coates literally had Tchalla ask known despots for help.. let that sink in
    A guy who has dealt with rebellions tons of times asks outsiders and known dictators for advice just to see what they would say, and then is shocked when it back fires. Coates literally had the cast talk **** and Tchalla just took it and moped. There is a Difference between making the supporting cast matter and having them over shadow the title Character. Coates had overshadowing, Coogler had them matter. It was still clear who the guy in charge was.
    Honestly MCU Tchalla for the faults he had, were much better explained then the Coates and Hickman especially Given how established he is in those stories whereas Coogler was showing a younger fiery T'Challa

I just saw on the local news where they announced a comic convention in my town for the weekend and they were hyping BP.

Awesome! They are finally bringing a convention to my town!!

Frak!!! I have to work this weekend!!

I just saw on the local news where they announced a comic convention in my town for the weekend and they were hyping BP.

Awesome! They are finally bringing a convention to my town!!

Frak!!! I have to work this weekend!!
    Creators who are expected to attend:

Johnathan Hickman
    Wilfredo Torres
    Sanford Greene

Creators who are expected to attend:

Johnathan Hickman
    Wilfredo Torres
    Sanford Greene
    What city?

GOATmonger in the cut

That's a scary sight

Extraordinary Member

I have yet to see the film, but it's been established that MCU BP is a young king.

It is smart that he has & can relay on a strong support staff (which was a character flaw with the Priest version).

The BP depicted by Priest & Hudlin is a serious veteran who prepares for anything, and everything. We are not there, yet.

Perhaps by the sequel, we'll get the Priest/Hudlin version.

I am down to see the character progression/journey. It is a joy with the other MCU films.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    What city?
    Savannah, GA.

I'd like to see the next writer of BP borrow some elements of MCU Shuri for MU Version. They could keep her current griot powers (minus the white hair, make it dark blue/black or dark purple/black), but make her a bit more lighthearted and show despite her "druid" abilities she likes to tinker with tech as a hobby.

Also, flat out graft MCU M'Baku onto the current one and make him a strained ally. He should always keep T'challa on his toes but not be an enemy when #### gets real.

Rehab Nakia and make her like T'challa's Black Widow and potential love interest once they decide to do something else with Storm.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 02-23-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    Pull List:

Savannah, GA.
    One of my best friend’s attended SCAD, he only had good things to say about the city.

Anyways, who else does anyone think should be revealed as a member of Killmonger’s black ops team?
    Some names I had considered:
    • Moses Magnum
    • Kraven
    •Taskmaster
    •Grim Reaper

Any others?