Page 444 of 5186 FirstFirst ... 3443944344404414424434444454464474484544945449441444 ... LastLast
Results 6,646 to 6,660 of 77781
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I'm sure she'll pop up in the new universe. To be honest, I think marvel is leading towards a year one approach to black panther to make it as easy as possible for new readers to start with black panther.

What do you think? Would you read an updated origin story for black panther?
    I do hope that Shuri appears again. I actually like her as Queen of Wakanda. I love that she is more like T'Chaka who embraces tradition more than T'Challa who sought to blend tradition with western sensibilities. T'Challa no longer needed to agonize over what his father would do during a crisis, because Shuri being alive & well would be seeking to implement that course of action.

Their dynamic would be completely different than Thor & Loki, but just as compelling under a good writer, imo.

Some sort of revised origin may be needed to blend in the original Lee/Kirby version with the Hudlin version, especially with the movie (film origin) on the way, and with the clear new push that Klaw will & should get.

The Hudin origin was not supposed to canon, initially.

But I do admire Marvel's past approach of simply not mentioning bad, or confusing stories instead of rebooting.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    From a writers, perspective most of B.P.'s supporting cast is kinda generic. So you as a writer are gonna want to replace that placeholder dude with a guy that you created yourself. The writer who comes after you thinks that same thing.

And so on.

You have the older mentor dude who could be either Medinao the herbalist, N'gassi orUncle Syan. Priest made his older mentor guy a raving but, to make him stand out.

Then there's the side kick who could either be W'kabi, Ross or the waitress from Liss' run whose name I can't remember right now. Note that Priest made sure that nearly everyone in his his supporting cast was more problematic than useful to Tchalla to make them interesting as characters.

Less often there is also a tech guy. Its usually Taku. There's never much for Taku to do.

Shuri got her own supporting cast with her own sidekick and tech dude when she took over the book.

I'm not gonna say too much about Monica Lynn since she is the sole exception to this. As the designated love
    interest, she showed up in nearly every version of the Black Panther comic, up until the marriage.
    I understand.

Perhaps another reason is due to the creative teams rarely able to due a complete run to fully make the supporting casts realized.

The constant starting from scratch with each creative team overhaul does put BP in the same boat with Wonder Woman.

Hah! I'd love to read a crossover between those two.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    I'd say you're half right. It isn't a way to get Miles into 616. It's a way to make the comics as much like the movies as possible (without actually being as good). Which is why I predict T'Challa won't get a title until they have a better idea which way the films are going.
    That would be the smart thing, if a strong creative team with a clear & long term vision is not already in place.

Extraordinary Member

I'd say that the MCU films are good DESPITE the comics. Sure, they took the basic concepts of the characters as inspiration, but they have never tried to be direct adaptations. So while the comics are mired down in shocking twists and interminable Events, the movies have focused on telling good stories, often with a sense of fun the publishing line is sorely missing.

In Panther's case, I don't expect a straight adaptation of any of the classic runs. What I DO expect is that T'Challa will be a strong protagonist, not just a cog in the plot machine.
    I love this post.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    Besides his life..... What hasn't Panther lost in this story line?

Same for reed, strange, Namor........, black bolt, etc

It's going to come back around and reset for a movie push. The more they deny the illusion of change with secret wars the less I listen.

I've actually dropped of solicits and advance spoilers. I only have the most basic idea of secret wars. It's great.

Happy black history month everyone.
    What exactly has Reed Richards lost?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I do hope that Shuri appears again. I actually like her as Queen of Wakanda. I love that she is more like T'Chaka who embraces tradition more than T'Challa who sought to blend tradition with western sensibilities. T'Challa no longer needed to agonize over what his father would do during a crisis, because Shuri being alive & well would be seeking to implement that course of action.

Their dynamic would be completely different than Thor & Loki, but just as compelling under a good writer, imo.

Some sort of revised origin may be needed to blend in the original Lee/Kirby version with the Hudlin version, especially with the movie (film origin) on the way, and with the clear new push that Klaw will & should get.

The Hudin origin was not supposed to canon, initially.

But I do admire Marvel's past approach of simply not mentioning bad, or confusing stories instead of rebooting.
    I agree with you 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    His razor?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Does losing a monthly with his face on the cover box count?

BANNED

His razor?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Does losing a monthly with his face on the cover box count?
    Haha!

Thank's for illustrating my point guys.

Richards has lost nothing in NA as none of his or immediate family have suffered any fallout whatsoever from his actions as a member of the Illuminati.

T'Challa and Namor on the otherhand.........

BANNED

Default Black Panther Reboot

If you could reboot the Black Panther franchise which supporting characters would be essential to the book?

Bast the Panther God
    Tchaka the Great King
    Queen Mother
    Nyami Great Mother of the Dora Milaje
    Tchalla the Black Panther
    Shuri the Avenger
    Syan
    Zuri - General of the Wakandan Military
    Reed Richards
    Klaw
    Namor
    Princess Zanda
    Taku
    Anika - Dora Milaje Master
    Dora Milaje - Chante Divine Justice
    Dora Milaje - Nakia Ebon-Moon
    Zawadi Strong Heart
    Zanda the Exile
    Agent White Wolf

Black Panther... Significant Other/Love Interest... Rogues Gallery... Wakanda... Period!

Trying to sell something else is futile unless you want to commission his own office like the other A-list super heroes have and equip it with it's own editorial staff answering only to this franchise!

If Hickman with all his "Slow Burn" 28 issue build up can't find time to develop such a large ensemble cast then who can or even has the time to do so?

New York is the base of operations for most of the main Marvel heavy hitters but there is no attempt to define very single cab driver or hot dog vendor just to flesh out nameless meaningless characters so why should Wakanda be any different?

Hey who is the traffic cop that directs traffic after the Hulk smashes three city blocks worth of property... Nobody who writes or reads comic books cares so keep it moving with the most essential solo characters only!

It's 23 pages of illustrated panels wasted trying to tell stories that 60,000 down to 20,000 hemorrhaging readers are not supporting because they really only want to pay for T'challa as king!

No matter what direction the writer goes some fans are going to be upset that the focus was pulled from who they favor for the other character whom they do not favor... Even if one of the two was off panel at Disneyland there would still be the question what that other character thinks or does just for the sake that they are part of the franchise!

It's time to go from "I wonder what Shuri is doing" to "what the heck was Princess Zonda doing taking over Wakanda" and "will Malice turn the Doras against him" which makes for way more interesting stories and builds that lagging rogues galleries!

Andy Serkis is Klaw and Barked Abdi is waiting by the phone for Disney to make that call for him to play Achebe and then come over here and take my money please!

http://youtu.be/OCpUjERoMKI

I don't care about the Barbie Doll ensemble casts with Ken and them I demand that the villains of Black Panther be fleshed out and he stops borrowing other character's rogues and grows up like other franchises have and pays his own bills beyond the piggyback level!

I don't play with my toys in the sandbox with anything other than heroes, villains and damsels in distress... Aint much I can do do with moms, siblings, distant cousins and uncles that do not want to get their diabolical Lion King Uncle Scar on and stab their nephews in the back!

BANNED

If Shuri appears in the movie, are you guys worried she'll be presented as a damsel for BP to save?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGodKing View Post
    If you could reboot the Black Panther franchise which supporting characters would be essential to the book?

Bast the Panther God
    Tchaka the Great King
    Queen Mother
    Nyami Great Mother of the Dora Milaje
    Tchalla the Black Panther
    Shuri the Avenger
    Syan
    Zuri - General of the Wakandan Military
    Reed Richards
    Klaw
    Namor
    Princess Zanda
    Taku
    Anika - Dora Milaje Master
    Dora Milaje - Chante Divine Justice
    Dora Milaje - Nakia Ebon-Moon
    Zawadi Strong Heart
    Zanda the Exile
    Agent White Wolf
    Why would Reed or Namor be cast members in a BP book?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    If Shuri appears in the movie, are you guys worried she'll be presented as a damsel for BP to save?
    I'm not worried about Shuri playing a part within the proposed BP movie or any future Black Panther book post Hickman because I have no problem with strong female characters.

As for the "damsel in distress" angle, I very much think whoever ends up being T'Challa's possible love interest in the movie may very well fall into that category.

Shuri is anything but anyones damsel in need of rescuing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    Black Panther... Significant Other/Love Interest... Rogues Gallery... Wakanda... Period!

Trying to sell something else is futile unless you want to commission his own office like the other A-list super heroes have and equip it with it's own editorial staff answering only to this franchise!

If Hickman with all his "Slow Burn" 28 issue build up can't find time to develop such a large ensemble cast then who can or even has the time to do so?

New York is the base of operations for most of the main Marvel heavy hitters but there is no attempt to define very single cab driver or hot dog vendor just to flesh out nameless meaningless characters so why should Wakanda be any different?

Hey who is the traffic cop that directs traffic after the Hulk smashes three city blocks worth of property... Nobody who writes or reads comic books cares so keep it moving with the most essential solo characters only!

It's 23 pages of illustrated panels wasted trying to tell stories that 60,000 down to 20,000 hemorrhaging readers are not supporting because they really only want to pay for T'challa as king!

No matter what direction the writer goes some fans are going to be upset that the focus was pulled from who they favor for the other character whom they do not favor... Even if one of the two was off panel at Disneyland there would still be the question what that other character thinks or does just for the sake that they are part of the franchise!

It's time to go from "I wonder what Shuri is doing" to "what the heck was Princess Zonda doing taking over Wakanda" and "will Malice turn the Doras against him" which makes for way more interesting stories and builds that lagging rogues galleries!

Andy Serkis is Klaw and Barked Abdi is waiting by the phone for Disney to make that call for him to play Achebe and then come over here and take my money please!

http://youtu.be/OCpUjERoMKI

I don't care about the Barbie Doll ensemble casts with Ken and them I demand that the villains of Black Panther be fleshed out and he stops borrowing other character's rogues and grows up like other franchises have and pays his own bills beyond the piggyback level!

I don't play with my toys in the sandbox with anything other than heroes, villains and damsels in distress... Aint much I can do do with moms, siblings, distant cousins and uncles that do not want to get their diabolical Lion King Uncle Scar on and stab their nephews in the back!
    My bro, you're yet to explain why the existence of Batgirl, Batwoman and Supergirl in the comicbooks has yet to have had any kind of "negative" impact on the film appearances (an fortunes) of their male counterparts Batman and Superman respectively?

And as far as other family members Did Ma and Pa Kent not play a major role in defining the character of young Clark Kent long before he became aware of his Kryptonian heritage as depicted in the Man of Steel movie?

T'Challa did not fall fully formed from the heavens, independent of a mother and mother so this selective hostility to an extended family coupled with a narrow band tight beam focus on villains and a damsel in distress as prerequisites for the success of a BP book/movie on the parts of some, is rather puzzling to me.

My mind boggles at the myopic level of shortsightedness inherent in an attitude that refuses to countenance the importance of expanding a brand and making it a lot more inviting to a wider demographic that encompasses gender, orientation and ethnicity.

Shuri's presence within the books as well as her importance to the overarching BP Mythos cannot be overstated enough and as such I find it really hard to comprehend how someone like yourself, who clearly undertands the importance of broad spectrum merchandising can be so resistant to what could only be a more inclusive expansion of the Black Panther's unique universe.

It's not as if the Black Widow, Falcon and Winter Soldier's (alongside a plethora of other supporting characters) presence took any focus away from Captain America in the second movie. :smh:

Eitherway, as Hickman seems to have killed off Shuri, I'm not sure why any of her detractors are still worrying about her supposedly hindering T'Challa's ascendance to A-List relevance.