Page 126 of 5186 FirstFirst ... 26761161221231241251261271281291301361762266261126 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 77781
    BANNED

BH: In DoomWar T’Challa met with a Feline God…..was this Bast? or something else?

MABERRY: Yes, that was Bast. Doom got to meet her and to plead his case for why he should be allowed to take the vibranium. Some clever readers have asked if Bast foresaw the rebirth of Wakandan honor and power as a direct result of having to ‘lose’ to Doom.

BH: How much does the technology pioneered by T’Challa during DoomWar play into the new Wakanda?

MABERRY: That’s something I did a lot of prep for, but which I haven’t yet had a chance to explore. David Liss may delve into some of that with Black Panther: Man Without Fear. For my part, I give a few hints that Wakanda did not have all of its technological eggs in one basket.

BH: DoomWar was a bold step into unknown territory, how much of Doom war’s ending was you or editorially mandated?

MABERRY: It was my ending. Marvel gave me a lot of creative freedom with that book, and we all knew that it was going to make some people cheer, some people curse me, and some people perk up and take a new look at the characters.

It was always the plan, from the earliest days of writing POWER that DOOMWAR would end the way it did. That was the point of the story, and it’s T’Challa’s speech near the end that defines the character. This is a man to whom honor is the most powerful weapon; and a man who loves his country so much that he is willing to risk its safety in order to save it.
    http://worldofblackheroes.com/2010/1...ions-answered/

So there we have it, straight from the horses mouth.

According to Maberry himself, there was ZERO editorial interference as regards the Doomwar story.

It was all his idea by his own admission.

I seem to remember saying this back in the day only to get shouted down as a malcontent. :smh:

Thanks for the link FLEX.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphan View Post
    Yeah, that is Azzari, teamed with Smasher, Sunspot and Cannonball. I'm glad to see Azzari and the Next Avengers being used.

I hope they make a new Illuminati squad to face Thanos Cabal.
    I like seeing Azzari as well. I love the idea of him and the other Next Avengers trying to stop Thanos' Cabal.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Majestic has been vindicated... I was happy to assist!

I'm trying to find that "too perfect" statement but it may be a moot point now!

But make sure that you keep that link handy for future reference along with this one featuring the classic WTF out of no where "just ask Apollo Creed" comment that riled up a few peeps at Hudlin's forum way back when...

http://graphicpolicy.com/2010/07/08/...athan-maberry/

If you do not understand why the Apollo Creed comment was not a well thought out one you have some learning to do in Racial Politics 101!

This video should help in your research...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMqMKxJJYvY

Doomwar... The gift that keeps on giving!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    You know I was looking at my Avatar... The one I drew myself years ago (hint hint) and I wondered if it would be cool if they went into detail on T'challa's origin from birth and growing as a baby towards manhood!

Often times the birth of a special child can be "redundant" or cliched but can be successful like Bruce Wayne, Kal-el or King Leonidas in 300 if they have a glorious future displayed on panel or on screen!

Most of the time T'challa is shown as a grown man with some flashbacks to the past as a teen when his father was killed by Klaw!

T'challa grew to become a world beater scientist and warrior yet hardly any information is ever given to what shaped his cynicism, personal xenophobia or narcissism on an up close and personal level to let fans also grow with him looking over his shoulder!

There was some coverage of this done by Hudlin and Jerome Dickey's Storm novel as a teen but mostly surface emotion to set up another dynamic!

In J.J. Abrams first Star Trek movie Captain Kirk was born during a heated conflict so what if T'challa was born during a massive war!

Rather than just have him jump right into the next super hero caper to keep him relevant amidst sagging sales maybe it's long overdue to reboot him from the beginning and put his baby picture on the cover like Nas and Biggie's albums!
    I've thought this same thing for a long time, Flex. Especially when I watched Samurai Jack and the stories of his childhood going around the world to learn different styles and local wisdom. My favorite is the one where he is being trained in Africa. A whole episode. The rest of his childhood training was done as more of a montage so a whole episode set in Africa was nice. I loved Tartakovsky's stuff. Maybe they could get him to do a BP cartoon.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

JM: The story was always about international politics and the ethics of war, so Marvel knew where I was going from the jump, and as I said, they were completely supportive. My editor, Axel Alonso, has been a valuable advisor, making very intelligent suggestions for where to dial up the action or plug in a recap. But they let me tell the story I wanted to tell.

They also did not interfere with my characterization. I told them up front that I was going to deconstruct the motives and methods of Doctor Doom and T’Challa. I do not belief in pure untainted good anymore than I believe in absolute evil. Doom has sometimes been portrayed as ‘Evil’, with not dimension to it; and too often T’Challa has been the spotless hero. I wanted to build the story around their flaws, explore their worldview, and watch as they re-assemble themselves into new shapes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The_Panther View Post

JM: The story was always about international politics and the ethics of war, so Marvel knew where I was going from the jump, and as I said, they were completely supportive. My editor, Axel Alonso, has been a valuable advisor, making very intelligent suggestions for where to dial up the action or plug in a recap. But they let me tell the story I wanted to tell.

They also did not interfere with my characterization. I told them up front that I was going to deconstruct the motives and methods of Doctor Doom and T’Challa. I do not belief in pure untainted good anymore than I believe in absolute evil. Doom has sometimes been portrayed as ‘Evil’, with not dimension to it; and too often T’Challa has been the spotless hero. I wanted to build the story around their flaws, explore their worldview, and watch as they re-assemble themselves into new shapes.
    There we go! That's the interview. Let's re-read the bold.

Doom has SOMETIMES been portrayed as one-note evil. So Mayberry aimed to fix that those few occurrences. Which he didn't do, as Doom was the exact same calculating person that he's generally been. He wasn't some brainless marauder. So that was a complete BS and weak excuse to write Doom as prominent as he did.

As for BP, he said that he has TOO OFTEN been a spotless hero. Which is complete and utter crap to anyone with an ounce of integrity, or to anyone who has read more than Hudlin's pre-coma run. So JM aimed to fix BP's "spotless record", by almost breaking the character, and then re-assembling him in a non-existent manner.

His level of dishonesty (on top of not showing Storm as being completely bad-arse throughout the run as he heavily implied) is why I question anyone who thinks that Doomwar was good.
    Last edited by Ajala; 07-16-2014 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Strong View Post
    There we go! That's the interview. Let's re-read the bold.

Doom has SOMETIMES been portrayed as one-note evil. So Mayberry aimed to fix that those few occurrences. Which he didn't do, as Doom was the exact same calculating person that he's generally been. He wasn't some brainless marauder. So that was a complete BS and weak excuse to write Doom as prominent as he did.

As for BP, he said that he has TOO OFTEN been a spotless hero. Which is complete and utter crap to anyone with an ounce of integrity, or to anyone who has read more than Hudlin's pre-coma run. So JM aimed to fix BP's "spotless record", by almost breaking the character, and then re-assembling him in a non-existent manner.

His level of dishonesty (on top of not showing Storm as being completely bad-arse throughout the run as he heavily implied) is why I question anyone who thinks that Doomwar was good.
    Imagine going to see Expendables and then there is no action, fighting, gun slinging explosion scenes--imagine them standing around in a bunker. That's Doomwar. Imagine buying a martial arts flick, where the master was killed and the student trained his *** off to get revenge, only to do nothing to stand around for the rest of the film and then get slapped down. That's Doomwar. It was a event that had potential, but personal bias got in the way.

Any one who says that T'challa is spotless, flawless or perfect doesn't have a real grasp of Black Panther.

Next Avengers!
    Last edited by Victor Freeman; 07-16-2014 at 04:19 AM.
    SO LET THIS BE A LESSON. LEARN. YOUR. PLACE. - Prince Freeman

In today's issue of Original Sin, Nick Fury learned that you can mess with Bucky. Hell, you can mess with Cap, though that's a bad idea.

But mess with Black Panther, and s**t will hit the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    In today's issue of Original Sin, Nick Fury learned that you can mess with Bucky. Hell, you can mess with Cap, though that's a bad idea.

I love the way he writes BP all the Avx stuff is water under the bridge at least for me

Azari appeared in Avengers World that kid should go away I don't like the idea of BP having a kid with Storm
    We need better comics

Good showing for T'challa in original sin #6
    Last edited by Nyro; 07-16-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post

That is great news!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I love the way he writes BP all the Avx stuff is water under the bridge at least for me

Azari appeared in Avengers World that kid should go away I don't like the idea of BP having a kid with Storm
    For some, a writer is only as good as his last story. I hope Aaron continues on this path with BP.

Azari is alternate future only, so it should not be that big a deal. BP may never sire kid's in our lifetime.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyro View Post
    Good showing for T'challa in original sin #6
    Any chance to blow this image up?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphan View Post
    Imagine going to see Expendables and then there is no action, fighting, gun slinging explosion scenes--imagine them standing around in a bunker. That's Doomwar. Imagine buying a martial arts flick, where the master was killed and the student trained his *** off to get revenge, only to do nothing to stand around for the rest of the film and then get slapped down. That's Doomwar. It was a event that had potential, but personal bias got in the way.

Any one who says that T'challa is spotless, flawless or perfect doesn't have a real grasp of Black Panther.

Next Avengers!
    Nice Cover.

I was telling peeps that there were only 2 ways Doomwar could have possibly ended WHEN IT CAME OUT.

Heads will want to bring up Doctor Voodoo series as a counter point but nobody bought that thing.

When your designated villain has a (far) bigger fanbase than the hero of the piece these issues will occur.

My only surprise was that I honestly expected Wakanda to get blown the hell up or thrown into a pocket dimension and it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Nice Cover.

I was telling peeps that there were only 2 ways Doomwar could have possibly ended WHEN IT CAME OUT.

Heads will want to bring up Doctor Voodoo series as a counter point but nobody bought that thing.

When your designated villain has a (far) bigger fanbase than the hero of the piece these issues will occur.

My only surprise was that I honestly expected Wakanda to get blown the hell up or thrown into a pocket dimension and it didn't happen.
    Honestly, no one cares about Doomwar. If we didn't mention it here--it would not be brought up. I mean, Liss, Hickman and others have totally overwritten the story. Marvel knows it wasn't a good tale either way. It screwed Panther imho, big time and killed any excitement that was built up during that period.
    Last edited by Victor Freeman; 07-16-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    SO LET THIS BE A LESSON. LEARN. YOUR. PLACE. - Prince Freeman