Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If they just took 2 seconds to call it that on screen, we'd be getting Necropolis Lego sets at Walmart. Just saying
    I'm sure Black Panther 2 will have Techno Jungle, Necropolis, and everything else you can think of after the numbers this movie put out.

I don't like Lego sets. When I was growing up we had the turtles sewer, the technodrome, the rolling thunder, and Metroplex. Those were things worth spending money on.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Well, they can always split the difference. T'CHalla can have Necropolis and Shuri can have the Techno Jungle. THat way Lego can sell 2 Wakandan play sets instead of one.
    T'Challa having the Necropolis only really matters if Shuri is the Black Panther.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    T'Challa having the Necropolis only really matters if Shuri is the Black Panther.
    Yes and no.

It doesn't matter in the sense that he doesn't really need to be King of the Dead if he never loses the BP title to Shuri. In that sense, the comic version of Necropolis isn't really necessary to the narrative.

That said, I think there's value in T'Challa having his own "bat cave" or "fortress of solitude." Having signature stuff like that which people can specifically name I think is helpful in the branding of the character.

I think the Techno Jungle works for that purpose.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the blending of Egyptian and Wakandan mythology on a macro level. The Necropolis is just part of that.

But still, the Techno Jungle was part of the Black Panther long before the Necropolis and I never really thought of the latter as a Batcave anyway.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I think the Techno Jungle works for that purpose.

That being said, I'm not a fan of the blending of Egyptian and Wakandan mythology on a macro level. The Necropolis is just part of that.

But still, the Techno Jungle was part of the Black Panther long before the Necropolis and I never really thought of the latter as a Batcave anyway.
    Yeah, I think the Techno Jungle works fine (though in the comics I think Necropolis essentially replaced it). But in the cinematic universe, that might end up being more a Shuri thing. Like I said in an earlier post, they can split the difference and have one bat cave a piece.

Again, none of this is important per say... I just think little things like this make for good branding.

Astonishing Member

I'm curious to see where COates is going with some of his god elements, because if the idea is that Wakandan gods are really just elevated Wakandans then it's a pretty big retcon, since Egyptian gods are a part of the greater pantheon mythology.

Though honestly if they retcon the Wakandan gods to NOT be the Egyptian gods it probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
    Yeah, my only hold up with Wakandan mythology is that it pretty heavily plays into Egyptian themes, so I'd be more than happy if that's completely excised in both the comics and the movies. Coates current direction seems to be indicating as much so I'm looking forward to what he has to say on that front.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I figured that was where they were doing the herb ceremony.
    I assumed the same thing. I just got the impression they didn't feel like naming it

That said, if we got the Techno-Organic Jungle it would most certainly go to Shuri or be something that preceded his reign. Imagine something along the lines of "The seeds of this forest were planted by previous scientists" or something like that. Between the two locations it'd be great to be introduced to the Techno-Organic Jungle while still getting some great scenes in the ceremony area. Both serve a great purpose and continue the world-building that makes the BP franchise so strong.

BANNED

Yeah, I think the Techno Jungle works fine (though in the comics I think Necropolis essentially replaced it). But in the cinematic universe, that might end up being more a Shuri thing. Like I said in an earlier post, they can split the difference and have one bat cave a piece.

Again, none of this is important per say... I just think little things like this make for good branding.
    The only good "branding" required for furthering the expansion of the BP mythos across the multimedia spectrum are those that expand on the super futuristic aesthetic laid out by Jack Kirby.

The Techno Jungle is part of that aesthetic.

The Necropolis much like the unnecessary "improvements" Coates initiated, are totally superflous to the MCU Black Pantherverse.

T'Challa is not Batman and as such, does not need a "Bat Cave" or any other signature paraphanalia associated with other mainatream comicbook characters.

There's a reason why the Black Panther movie conquered and has stayed dominating the box office.

The BP mythos had originality built deep into its DNA right from day one which is why I always found attempts to view and treat T'Challa as a street level character, patently ridiculous.

Coogler and Co have built on the foundation laid down Lee and Kirby to deliver an Afro-futuristic tour de force which regressive themes such as the Necropolis are incongrous and exceedingly clumsy.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 03-17-2018 at 11:46 PM.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

You really don't like the Necropolis, Majestik? I thought it was great. I love the fantasy trope of the shining city built atop the darkness that came before. The towers reach to the heavens but the foundations are set in darkest pitch.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I assumed the same thing. I just got the impression they didn't feel like naming it

That said, if we got the Techno-Organic Jungle it would most certainly go to Shuri or be something that preceded his reign. Imagine something along the lines of "The seeds of this forest were planted by previous scientists" or something like that. Between the two locations it'd be great to be introduced to the Techno-Organic Jungle while still getting some great scenes in the ceremony area. Both serve a great purpose and continue the world-building that makes the BP franchise so strong.
    It's entirely possible both locations did show up in the movie, and they just didn't bother naming either. Like others have said, herb ceremony probably was Necropolis. And Shuri's lab could very well have been the techno organic jungle. Maybe the DVD/Blu Ray will mention that.

Heck, maybe the movie can even explain the techno organic jungle a little bit, because honestly I'm not sure that's something the comic ever went out of it's way to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    You really don't like the Necropolis, Majestik? I thought it was great. I love the fantasy trope of the shining city built atop the darkness that came before. The towers reach to the heavens but the foundations are set in darkest pitch.
    The thing that I liked about Necropolis is that it built on the mystical/religions aspects of the BP mythos a bit more. And honestly I think that's an aspect of it which was maybe a bit underdeveloped a bit. Hickman did a nice bit of world building in that aspect.

At the time it ended up being created out of necessity since it granted T'CHalla resources all his own independent of Shuri and Wakanda... it theoretically could have been made somewhat redudent once T'Challa became BLack Panther again. But I'm glad it's stuck around. It serves as a nice base of operation for T'Challa, in addition to being a setting where the more mystical aspects of the character can be explored a bit if need be. So there's a nice dual purpose there. Especially if Shuri ends up getting the techno organic jungle, which in the MCU at least sort of suits her better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    The Necropolis much like the unnecessary "improvements" Coates initiated, are totally superflous to the MCU Black Pantherverse.
    Well, one of Coates's "improvements" was already featured in the movie and used to much fanfare.

My personal opinion is I don't like the Egypt-ification of Wakanda. That includes the use of Bast and the Necropolis. But I know we're way beyond that point.

Well, one of Coates's "improvements" was already featured in the movie and used to much fanfare.

My personal opinion is I don't like the Egypt-ification of Wakanda. That includes the use of Bast and the Necropolis. But I know we're way beyond that point.
    I was speculating earlier, but it's possible Coates stuff with the gods is a retcon to separate the Egyptian gods from the Wakandan gods. The whole bit about Wakandan warriors being elevated into gods due to faith doesn't sound a whole lot like the Egyptian gods.

I don't understand the need for separation. Despite what we've been taught, Egypt is in Africa. lol.

Priest already established that Egyptian gods are born out of gods already worshipped in the region Bast included.