Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I enjoyed the film and thought it was good tbh. Great set up for more world building. The cgi was fine to me. It didn’t look anymore worse that Thor Ragnorak. The film was much better than Coates current comics. Looking forward to BP2. And why are you asking about complaints as if everyone s’posed to love it?
    "This was very much a Michael B Jordan movie. Killmonger’s development had everything to do with actor/director biases and probably little to nothing at all to do with Marvel wanting to create a multidimensional villain. It was very"
    I don't see how this was a MBJ movie??

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    Lmaooooo how can you not?

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    Yeah. T'Challa was a trash ass passive protagonist. I'm not gonna kiss Coogler's ass for giving me killmonger the movie. He even gets overshadowed by comedic relief characters. Even t'chaka had better lines than T'Challa.
    How did Killmonger overshadow everyone? Do you seriously believe he overshadowed Shuri, Nakia, M'Buku or Okoye? Those characters who have been getting praise by man fans?

No. The Black Panther film just had a very good cast that played their parts almost perfectly. Black Panther was obviously going to have flaws has he JUST BECAME king. This is unlike with Coates T'Challa who is a veteran king and yet is a bumbling idiot.

Fantastic Member

He had a great introduction. An extremely detail back story. And A powerful ending. Overall portrayal was more or what I thought we were going to see with Tchalla. Tchalla first solo film was more about the villain and Wakanda (as a whole) oppose to him. Which, truthfully made for a good film. Just not the film I was looking forward to seeing after watching him in Civil War.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    He had a great introduction. An extremely detail back story. And A powerful ending. Overall portrayal was more or what I thought we were going to see with Tchalla. Tchalla first solo film was more about the villain and Wakanda (as a whole) oppose to him. Which, truthfully made for a good film. Just not the film I was looking forward to seeing after watching him in Civil War.
    To me Killmonger was just a very good villain and I believe what Coogler was going for was not some typical Black vs Light but Black vs Grey. The MCU desperately needed a good and complex villain and MBJ came through. Killmonger to me was just to show the cons in the Black Panther character and Wakandan society.

I think it's to Cooglers credit that we're actually debating whether or not certain supporting cast members may or may not have overshadowed the main character. That's how good a job he did at developing the supporting cast.

It's not like it's a contest between the characters or anything... if people were drawn to a variety of characters instead of just the lead, it just means the movie and cast were that good top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by goku200 View Post
    Bp didn't killed anyone Eric killed himself because he didn't want to be locked up.
    The J-man

Fantastic Member

To me Killmonger was just a very good villain and I believe what Coogler was going for was not some typical Black vs Light but Black vs Grey. The MCU desperately needed a good and complex villain and MBJ came through. Killmonger to me was just to show the cons in the Black Panther character and Wakandan society.
    I aint denying none of that bro. All of that was clear to me when I saw the film...
    About as clear as Sam Jack doin some baller $#!t in a Tarantino movie! Theres a clear dynamic between actor/director. Coogler gone make sure his mans is shining, even if he aint the titlular character. And thats cool, just wasn’t expecting to see that in a film like this. But I know better now. Had Chadwick been Killmonger and Jordan been Tchalla, Id had gotten the BP movie I thought I was going to see.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think it's to Cooglers credit that we're actually debating whether or not certain supporting cast members may or may not have overshadowed the main character. That's how good a job he did at developing the supporting cast.

It's not like it's a contest between the characters or anything... if people were drawn to a variety of characters instead of just the lead, it just means the movie and cast were that good top to bottom.
    Yes. It was a movie that had a wide cast most of whom had substantial development and great world building. There's no way this is a bad thing. But I think some folks really wanted "T'Challa's Winter Soldier" or something and thus underwhelmed by the movie we got.

I really don't get people knocking the BP film for being a well rounded movie with tons of appeal. Yeah Marvel could have made it a vanilla movie and just had BP dominate and everyone else be wall paper. And it would have been some ho hum film that made a good amount of money, but they decided to do something special.

Now the argument I do get and I think that has merit is the perspective of Killmonger vs T'Challa and their approaches. Was Killmonger right? Were his actions justified?

I think this is a stronger debate with some real teeth behind it. Almost akin to Martin Luther King vs Malcom X. I wish I could come up with a better comparison off the top of my head, because T'Challa and Killmonger did not fully or truly embody what Malcom and Martin did.
    The J-man

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I really don't get people knocking the BP film for being a well rounded movie with tons of appeal. Yeah Marvel could have made it a vanilla movie and just had BP dominate and everyone else be wall paper. And it would have been some ho hum film that made a good amount of money, but they decided to do something special.

Now the argument I do get and I think that has merit is the perspective of Killmonger vs T'Challa and their approaches. Was Killmonger right? Were his actions justified?

I think this is a stronger debate with some real teeth behind it. Almost akin to Martin Luther King vs Malcom X. I wish I could come up with a better comparison off the top of my head, because T'Challa and Killmonger did not fully or truly embody what Malcom and Martin did.
    Well, movie Killmonger was kind of a hypocrite. He called out Wakanda for not helping other black people around the world, but for most of his adult life, he was a soldier killing people all over the world in the service of the American govt. Why didn't he try to help black folks?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

Yeah. I think the 'problem' with Black Panther as a movie is that everyone was exceptional, as was the premise. Chadwick's performance didn't stand out, because everyone was awesome. In that regard, there was no contrast.

As 'problems', it's a good one to have.

Fantastic Member

Aye, some knock it some love it. Cause we’re fans of the same character we got to have a monolithic view? Good movie. Definitely well rounded cause it for for damn show wasnt a BP dominant film
    Last edited by Maverick; 03-21-2018 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Grammar

Tchalla was my favorite part of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, movie Killmonger was kind of a hypocrite. He called out Wakanda for not helping other black people around the world, but for most of his adult life, he was a soldier killing people all over the world in the service of the American govt. Why didn't he try to help black folks?
    well yes and no. I'll say we didn't get to see a lot of Killmongers darker actions we were simply told he committed them. We see him kill his girlfriend and the Dora Milaje and that drives home how cold blooded he is and his by any means necessary approach. Still his message does ring through that Wakanda was sitting in a privilege position and chose to do nothing to aide those in need. Killmonger was not in a privileged position to effect the change he was calling for. Also let's be clear he wasn't talking about humanitarian aide or diplomacy. He was talking about conquering the world and imposing Wakanda governance destroying the current power structures. Something he clearly could not have done on his own no matter what he tried. So his end goal was to take the Wakandan throne and use that as his vehicle for change.

Plus its a movie and a lot of things went his way. Using Klaw as bait and rescuing him than killing him. T'challa and Wakanda accepting the challenge. Him winning the fight and W'kabi having his back.

And the movie does strongly allude to Killmonger being a product of his environment... (to a degree). He carries the loss of his father and his teaching with him to enact his vengeance. His fathers goals and ideals impart live through him, but he perverts that vision or simply makes it his own and does things his father probably wouldn't have done (from the brief bit we saw of him).
    The J-man