Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    The fact that "May" is in the title could mean that Marvel knows the feelings of BP fans and is hoping the second season will turn things around. Because if 30-40 thousand is the standard for BP runs, they were probably hoping to get old+new readership to generate higher long term numbers. I imagine Marvel has to pay him a lot more than the average writer.
    The book is still selling very well, and as long as it's selling Marvel isn't going to care how long term Black Panther fans feel about the title.

The only hope is that I'm seeing more and more people that initially liked his run start to voice their dislike of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    The book is still selling very well, and as long as it's selling Marvel isn't going to care how long term Black Panther fans feel about the title.

The only hope is that I'm seeing more and more people that initially liked his run start to voice their dislike of the series.
    I don't dispute that it is selling well. But #8 is slightly above Priest and Hudlin. I think new readers will be more willing to drop it because even positive reviews agree its slow paced and boring. And if long term fans are willing to drop, the numbers will continue to go down. I dropped it and I survived Doomwar lol. Mid second season will give a better view of longevity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    Did I miss something? Last I checked, more readers were leaving than returning.

EDIT: Also not trying to laugh at the idea that Coates has "fundamental respect for the character and his mythology" and "he understands the ebb and flow of a comic book"
    Well.

If you tell a lie long enough with no literal pushback from readers who feel otherwise, the false narrative gradually becomes the accepted reality.

With the exception of a few posters who've hinted that they've directly addressed Coates on Twitter, how many others have done the same?

I know I have.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    It would also "serve" (lol had to) them well to have editorial also pay more attention to what he is writing and bit let him do whatever the hell he wants. He isn't respecting Tchalla or the mythos. That's so obvious here. He told his story now he need to bring Tchalla back to status quo like Hickman set up
    Question does he have to?

Where is the competition to make him raise his game? Is he still not the top male minority solo seller? Where is his (POC) competition especially outside of Marvel?

You have him with his own film and maybe roles in others. You will have him in other books.

In other words you got enough stuff going on with him to help keep that book afloat or mentioned. So if you are Coates-you have no real need to panic. At least until 2019.

I imagine Marvel has to pay him a lot more than the average writer.
    It's not always money-look what else he bought them-their FIRST black woman writer of an ongoing.

Fans-who else has he bought in with his name that might have helped other books besides BP?

Other books-what if he is high enough to finally get say an Eli Bradley book? Damage Control ongoing? Fantastic Four?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Well.

If you tell a lie long enough with no literal pushback from readers who feel otherwise, the false narrative gradually becomes the accepted reality.

With the exception of a few posters who've hinted that they've directly addressed Coates on Twitter, how many others have done the same?

I know I have.
    PREACH-you can say that about everything Marvel has dealt with since the first new image of ANAD Marvel.

I am sure folks have address him but has he bothered to listen?

And those who support it-the question has to be asked-are you supporting it to see the story out or bought into the fear if if you don't buy it-hello limbo.

The fear of sending characters to limbo over book sales or popularity ENDED the moment somebody named Wally vanished and it took 7 years to get him back.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    PREACH-you can say that about everything Marvel has dealt with since the first new image of ANAD Marvel.

I am sure folks have address him but has he bothered to listen?

And those who support it-the question has to be asked-are you supporting it to see the story out or bought into the fear if if you don't buy it-hello limbo.

The fear of sending characters to limbo over book sales or popularity ENDED the moment somebody named Wally vanished and it took 7 years to get him back.
    In all likelihood Black Panther will never fall in limbo. Even before the movie came out, marvel kept giving Black Panther second chances. They clearly saw the potential of the character, hence the movie. Now that he's getting a movie, the odds of him ever falling entirely into limbo are pretty darn low.

Sales be damned they're likely going to keep trying. Same with Dr. Strange and Captain Marvel. Movies make them relatively bullet proof in that regard, if not indefinately then at least for a very very long time.

BANNED

Yeah, well, you're all wrong. The Coates run is a very fascinating exploration of politics and gender issues at its core, with the outer shell of this delicious mental meal being the superb characterization and respect towards the past... And now that I managed to type that without dying from laughter like Chrysippus, I'm gonna ask: How many folks here are still pulling this title? Personally speaking, I dumped it around last month, so I'll be getting the issues until #11 or so. As for the sales, they're sadly pretty good, so I don't think Coates is going anywhere. The new crop is eating it up while pretending that it makes them intellectual and deep. Because God forbid a comic set in a universe with Cat-Gods is optimistic and doesn't deal with the political issues of our world...

As for "voicing our distaste", well, I sent Coates a couple of tweets, but with the word limit being what it is, I don't think the message is gonna get across. Or that he's gonna answer anyway, the only ones he does respond to are the ones that praise him or ask him non-BP questions... Here they are if anybody cares:

Attachment 43200

In more joyful news, the HT figure is being released pretty soon. Here's an in-stock preview from a well known 1/6th collector:

Lots more pics here if anyone's interested: http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/fo...figure-85.html

I'd have bought it already if not for my tight college budget. I'll probably have to wait for the solo flick version though. The SH Figuarts fig is currently in-stock, but it goes for 120$, and it's about 6" or so. These import figs dissappear pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Question does he have to?

Where is the competition to make him raise his game? Is he still not the top male minority solo seller? Where is his (POC) competition especially outside of Marvel?

[…]

It's not always money-look what else he bought them-their FIRST black woman writer of an ongoing.
    His competition is EVERY OTHER BOOK OUT THERE. That's the market. Not "male minority solo" books. Saying otherwise is disingenuous at best.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    In all likelihood Black Panther will never fall in limbo. Even before the movie came out, marvel kept giving Black Panther second chances. They clearly saw the potential of the character, hence the movie. Now that he's getting a movie, the odds of him ever falling entirely into limbo are pretty darn low.

Sales be damned they're likely going to keep trying. Same with Dr. Strange and Captain Marvel. Movies make them relatively bullet proof in that regard, if not indefinately then at least for a very very long time.
    Seriously? Do you actually think that the reason they gave BP a solo again (not to mention Strange, who hadn't had an ongoing since the 1990's) has to do with ANYTHING but the movies?

His competition is EVERY OTHER BOOK OUT THERE. That's the market. Not "male minority solo" books. Saying otherwise is disingenuous at best.

Seriously? Do you actually think that the reason they gave BP a solo again (not to mention Strange, who hadn't had an ongoing since the 1990's) has to do with ANYTHING but the movies?
    Seriously yes... I think the reason he kept on getting solos before he even had a movie is because they saw him as a character with potential. Again, the reason he's getting a movie in the first place despite not being a character with a publication history spanning decades is because marvel saw the potential in him as a franchise character.

They're only going to give movies to characters who are presently are top franchises, or characters they strongly believe could be. And if they have enough faith in him to give him a movie, they certainly have enough faith to give another solo book a shot.

As unpopular an opinion as I sometimes think this is on this board, I genuinely believe marvel editorial likes and supports this character. He wouldn't be in the position he is now if they didn't.

Seriously yes... I think the reason he kept on getting solos before he even had a movie is because they saw him as a character with potential. Again, the reason he's getting a movie in the first place despite not being a character with a publication history spanning decades is because marvel saw the potential in him as a franchise character.

They're only going to give movies to characters who are presently are top franchises, or characters they strongly believe could be. And if they have enough faith in him to give him a movie, they certainly have enough faith to give another solo book a shot.

As unpopular an opinion as I sometimes think this is on this board, I genuinely believe marvel editorial likes and supports this character. He wouldn't be in the position he is now if they didn't.
    There was six YEARS between the end of the Mayberry run and this one.

And they gave bloody ANT-MAN a movie.

According to imdb filming will also take place here. Iguazu Falls in Argentina
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825683/...f_=ttspec_ql_6

There was six YEARS between the end of the Mayberry run and this one.

And they gave bloody ANT-MAN a movie.
    After Maeberry's run, we did get the Man Without Fear book.

And it's certainly true he didn't have a solo book between Man Without Fear and Coates book, but he got a fair amount of spotlight in Hickmans Avengers run. In a lot of ways I think that helped him more than a solo book would have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    According to imdb filming will also take place here. Iguazu Falls in Argentina
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825683/...f_=ttspec_ql_6

thanks Hollywood reporter Dboi
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

After Maeberry's run, we did get the Man Without Fear book.

And it's certainly true he didn't have a solo book between Man Without Fear and Coates book, but he got a fair amount of spotlight in Hickmans Avengers run. In a lot of ways I think that helped him more than a solo book would have.
    Certainly better than this one. :P

Depends on how you define limbo I guess.

I think he is in that strange, ghost rider, moon knight, she hulk, ect category where there concept is so interesting (and in BP's case, his blackness helps him i think) and unique-ish that writers are gonna take semi regular shots at them. especially in this era of relaunches.

but, yeah, now hes got a vibranium weave suit on protecting him from limbo bullets
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html