BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yeah, a lot of the buzz around CW had to do with the debut of BP. So his own movie is possible of surpassing CW given the amount people interested and the number of times they will see the movie.

Remember when people then said they’re using Bucky as a way to get BP’s solo movie to sell?

Three people on twitter say the darndest things

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Well it beat CW in preorders do anything is possible.
    If Black Panther can pull if off, it's definitely a statement. Civil War made a billion dollars. But again, I'd say that was almost less a solo movie and more an Avengers movie given it literally had every superhero in the MU showing up. If BP can pull off a billion dollars purely on it's own, that's bragging right for sure. I think Batman is the only other super hero to cross that boundry with some of the Dark Knight Trilogy movies.

Edit: Digging around, Iron Man 3 actually managed to pull off a million too. So I guess it's doable for a solo movie. Rare, but possible. Fingers crossed it can pull it off.
    Last edited by XPac; 01-11-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Thank you for the birthday wishes! Feeling very good on my B-day!
    Happy belated.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 01-11-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neohuey89 View Post
    Happy Belated. I turned 29 yesterday. Bought myself a few books as a gift.
    Happy Belated Birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If Black Panther can pull if off, it's definitely a statement. Civil War made a billion dollars. But again, I'd say that was almost less a solo movie and more an Avengers movie given it literally had every superhero in the MU showing up. If BP can pull off a billion dollars purely on it's own, that's bragging right for sure. I think Batman is the only other super hero to cross that boundry with some of the Dark Knight Trilogy movies.

Edit: Digging around, Iron Man 3 actually managed to pull off a million too. So I guess it's doable for a solo movie. Rare, but possible. Fingers crossed it can pull it off.
    Again, This movie will easily pull off WW levels, Because its hitting an untapped demographic in the Black community, men and women, and it still hits to the normal demographics as well. If it hits 1 Bil (Definitely possible) Then it will confirm that BP is a HUGE deal and there will be no excuses

New featurette with just a tiny bit of new footage.

Thanks for the Birthday wishes!

My daughter ordered me a couple of Panther figures from the Disney Shop for my birthday! Awesome!
    (Apologies for this coming so late) Happy Belated Birthday .

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    New featurette with just a tiny bit of new footage.
    Even more hyped.

All-New Member

I just found out that select AMC theaters will be having 'Fan Events' where you get a free issue of the Black Panther #1.
    https://www.amctheatres.com/black-pa...er_lp_mp_promo

It's bittersweet. I'm blown away by how well the pre-order tickets sales are but I'm saddened that most of the screenings I want to go to on the 15th are sold out. They had a bunch of good ones in Atlanta that I'll have to miss out on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Again, This movie will easily pull off WW levels, Because its hitting an untapped demographic in the Black community, men and women, and it still hits to the normal demographics as well. If it hits 1 Bil (Definitely possible) Then it will confirm that BP is a HUGE deal and there will be no excuses
    Just getting a movie makes BP a huge deal even if it doesn't hit the billion mark. But yeah... making a billion would be cool. Get those sort of numbers, and the character can coast on that for pretty much the rest of his existence.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Day Three:

Jungle Action #8 - Malice By Crimson Moonlight!

Just starting off, the cover is not a promising one. Granted, it doesn't mean it's bad, but it certainly means whoever made the cover didn't understand the isuse. When Marvel calls an issue "offbeat," it's usually not a good thing. It also promises an all-new origin of the Black Panther (to my knowledge, this never happens). However, my fears are somewhat asuaged by the first three pages. There's a neat little splash page of the Black Panther surrounded by enemies basically telling them to get this over with followed by a two page splash that seems to just be the title of the issue, but with the letters of the title essentially forming the panels where some of the action takes place. It's easy to skip over, but it's a really cool innovative way to handle comics and credit to Rich Buckler for his work. The next two pages continue the innovation, with the top half of the page with T'Challa fighting his foes while the bottom half shows the woman in the double splash continue her actions, sneaking into the Wakandan palice. They also either fill the panel borders all in black or go full bleed as a way to completely separate the two scenes.

It turns out that T'Challa's fight is him training in preparation of receiving the heart-shaped herb. While he's just as effective as ever, there's a sense that he's not fully there. While, in the past, he would have controlled his anger, W'Kabi and Mendinao comment that it's seething over. It's anger at Killmonger, but they wonder if his time with the outsiders caused him to lose his edge. Later, Monica Lynne sees T'Challa apparently unconscious during the religious ceremony to administer the herb and freaks out. T'Challa cancels the ceremony. I have to say, the drama of the influences of outsiders of T'Challa and Wakanda and Monica as a symbol of that is very interesting. But Monica is not sympathetic at all.

The woman in the palace is Malice. She works for Killmonger and is freeing Venomm after he was captured last issue. She threatens Zatama at spearpoint and he gives up the information. She then strikes him with her spear (presumably killing him, although he might be unconscious). She rounds the corner and sees Taku talking to Venomm. My understanding is McGregor intended this friendship that develops between them to be more than just a friendship. Regardless, Taku isn't judgmental to Venomm's disfigured face and there is a nice moment of understanding between them. Venomm his backstory, how he was disfigured, and how he was rescued by N'Jadaka (Killmonger) who promises, one day, to take him to a place beyond his imagination. They will take it by force and make it theirs. I love his description of Wakanda, which makes it a very special place, but also the pathos between the two characters that adds to the depth of the villain's backstory. Even Killmonger, who seems to just want power, comes off as a more 3D character.

The two stories intersect as T'Challa walks back to the palice and dodges a spear thrown by Malice that cuts a fucking marble column in half! Malice manages to escape, but they retake Venomm. It's apparent that W'Kabi is going to kill him as revenge for the deaths Killmonger inflicts, but T'Challa stops him.

I think the highlight for this issue is the art, which doesn't translate well to my text review. I do like the ongoing themes of outsiders and whether T'Challa is losing his edge because of it. I also like the growing character development of W'Kabi, Taku, and Venomm. Also, Malice was a badass.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Incredible Member

Word, this movie is gonna be lit.

Deadspin interview with panther writer Ta-Nehisi Coates

https://deadspin.com/deadspin-interv...tes-1821996749

excerpt
    You almost never hear a writer admit it the way you do in this book: “It was, in many ways, an end point for my inquiries.” What does that feel like—to be 10, 15 years in public trying to answer a question and getting to “All right, I answered it”?

I thought I was done. But I’m doing this thing right now, and there’s so many other questions. There’s so many other questions.

I think I can say this, I’ll give you an example. I’m doing a lot of reading right now; a lot of my work is focused on slavery, and it’s mostly been slavery in the South. So you’re talking about roughly the 19th century. But slavery in continental America is quite old, it lasted for 350 years, commenced in 1619 in Virginia. So I’m doing all this reading on slavery in New England right now, and I am discovering so much. You should never say you’re done with a question, you should never declare that you found the answer. I guess it’s true, I felt like certain things had been answered for me. But there are always other related questions that I maybe hadn’t taken into consideration when I wrote that.

For instance, I didn’t even wonder why, I didn’t know this was a question: why Northern attitudes about race and about black people actually enjoyed so much proximity to Southern white attitudes. That’s being clarified for me. And I’ll have more on this later. There is more to be answered. I don’t know if this is the form I’ll continue answering it in. But it’s deep, man. It is not a shallow wading pool. It’s deep. It’s a sea! It really is. So understanding this—or trying, I shouldn’t say understanding—and being in process, you just learn so much about the country, and it’s a phenomenal thing.

So I know I just wrote that in the book. And it is kind of true, but it’s not totally true.

When you say you don’t think the form will be the same, what do you mean?

I think I’m still pursuing it in comic books, right now. I write Black Panther, but race is not a strong element in Black Panther, there’s not a lot about race in Black Panther. The question about race is ultimately just a question about power, it really is. It’s how human beings organize themselves around power, how they exploit, how they use it. That is at the heart of the comic book. Even though race is not at the heart of the comic book, a lot of it, because it’s about power, and I’ve studied race as a way of looking at power, it actually is informed by race, if that makes sense.

The dude’s in this mythical country Wakanda where everybody’s black. So obviously you don’t have the same context of race. But certainly the issues of power, of organizing power, are still there. So it can be expressed in all sorts of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by neohuey89 View Post
    Happy Belated. I turned 29 yesterday. Bought myself a few books as a gift.
    Happy belated birthday to you as well!

I got a Panther Pop bobble-head and I have two figures from the Disney shop on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Remember when people then said they’re using Bucky as a way to get BP’s solo movie to sell?

Three people on twitter say the darndest things
    Heh. I guess that uppity Black Panther should be glad to have Bucky in his movie.