Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    "underpowered" has zero to do with it. Batman's rogue gallery are LONG LASTING and stay around. Killmonger(even tho he's in limbo), Man-Ape and Klaw are Panther's only real iconic villains. Wheres Hunter? Wheres Achebe especially...

How can you compare the Joker, Bane, Riddler. Deadshot, Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, Scarecrow, Black Mask and the whole damn list. There is a reason why Batman villains appear in so many stories outside of Batman. Its a reason why they can have their OWN stories. How can you compare Batman villians with Panthers? Like I said being underpowered has *&^% to do with it. Its more of writers not being creative enough to make new and original villains that become iconic to the Black Panther's mythos.
    I don't disagree they need to be used better (or at all ..most of Priests rogues were completely ignored after he left the book).

But I believe power level has value to the equation. I think you need villains flat out capable of beating the hero. If they can't, it undercuts the drama.

Klaw can beat BP under the right circumstances, so he's fine if you ignore his long history of embarrassing 1hit ko's.

But overall I think they're on the weak side. And honestly if he had a few stronger ones, maybe they might be more usable to other writers.

Killmonger has in fact beaten him several times, though I'd argue on paper he's actually the underdog, which creates a weird dynamic there. But it works.

Quote Originally Posted by iblogalot View Post
    Co-signing all that.

And, really to me, nothing tops the simplicity of that final (pre-credits) scene in Oakland. When that young Black boy walks up to T'Challa asking is that your spaceship? And then who are you? Just that look on Boseman's face, without even speaking, said everything about how important the character and what he represents is.
    Oh yeah that too. It's the exact same look he gave in the UN speech. That knowing smile. It shows how well T'chadwick portrays Tchalla, scene's need Tchalla on them tk have the affect that had on people. People say the supporting cast outshined him but it's because of his actions that allow them to shine so well.

I'd add to the list:
    - Walking Into the throne room with a unified Wakanda
    - Getting that kiss "Stay, I think I have a solution for you to still do what you are called to do" (paraphrasing)
    - Buying out Erik's & Njobus apartment complex and the neighboring buildings to create the Wakandan outreach center, with Nakia as the social lead and Shuri as the science lead

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Oh yeah that too. It's the exact same look he gave in the UN speech. That knowing smile.
    From what I hear, that was the original ending of the movie. But I'm glad that went with the Oakland scene instead.

It shows how well T'chadwick portrays Tchalla, scene's need Tchalla on them tk have the affect that had on people. People say the supporting cast outshined him but it's because of his actions that allow them to shine so well.
    Indeed.

Buying out Erik's & Njobus apartment complex and the neighboring buildings to create the Wakandan outreach center, with Nakia as the social lead and Shuri as the science lead
    I was counting that in my original praise. That whole ending scene was perfect. The idea of T'Challa, after deciding that it was time for Wakanda to spread out across the globe to aid others, the fact that he started in American, specifically in Oakland, a Black neighborhood, looking to help out and inspire Black Americans, and entrusting Shuri to run things, and seeing those other Black kids running up to the ship and checking it out, all of that, along with the final encounter between that one boy and T'Challa, was a powerful scene, with a powerful message (that yes, Black Panther is a hero for everyone, but he recognizes his specific importance to Black People, these are not mutually exclusive things), that proves that Coogler "gets it."

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't disagree they need to be used better (or at all ..most of Priests rogues were completely ignored after he left the book).

But I believe power level has value to the equation. I think you need villains flat out capable of beating the hero. If they can't, it undercuts the drama.

Klaw can beat BP under the right circumstances, so he's fine if you ignore his long history of embarrassing 1hit ko's.

But overall I think they're on the weak side. And honestly if he had a few stronger ones, maybe they might be more usable to other writers.

Killmonger has in fact beaten him several times, though I'd argue on paper he's actually the underdog, which creates a weird dynamic there. But it works.

I don't see power level as that important seeing as how Batman can easily beat up(and if he wanted to kill) the Joker and the Joker is the most iconic of his villains. Or look at Lex Luthor vs Superman. I see what you mean but the problem is writers being lazy to not develop his villains. Heck you even bring up writers ignoring Priest's rogues.

Geoff did the hec episode and croc. Those were amazing. And honestly on this thread he said he was interested in doing a BP comic. I hope he gets the chance.
    He was approached by Marvel to pitch a BP series. And I wish he'd gotten that chance. But it's understandable that Marvel went with Coates, as he had that name recognition which could (and did) bring in new readers. While I've never pressed him on what his pitch was, he did at least admit that there would not have been any rape camps.

His mosaic was great.
    On paper, that character sounding boring as ****. I told him, I only checked it out because he was writing it, so I wanted to give it a chance, but I had low expectations. And damn, I was wrong, he knocked that out the park. Such a unique and refreshing character.

And yeah o wish he was doing galactic empire Wakanda because it wouldn't be used as a analog to trash the mythos.
    Geoff's big break in writing was through Star Trek. The man knows how to write science fiction, and how to write compelling multicultural casts. Black Panther In Space is the perfect concept for him.

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    I don't see power level as that important seeing as how Batman can easily beat up(and if he wanted to kill) the Joker and the Joker is the most iconic of his villains. Or look at Lex Luthor vs Superman. I see what you mean but the problem is writers being lazy to not develop his villains. Heck you even bring up writers ignoring Priest's rogues.
    Honestly I don't buy Joker as a credible enough threat. He's not as good a fighter or as smart, and doesn't have the resources Batman have. Really he's a threat because of plot armor.

Lex is a different matter. He's the smartest man on the planet, and in comics That's actually one of the most useful powers. Guys like Reed and Doom have beaten high end cosmic being sue to their intelligence.

I don't think this has to be an all one thing or another. You can develop villains better, and generate a few who are higher on the threat level. Because it a villiain in theory can't beat the hero, then what's the point,

He was approached by Marvel to pitch a BP series. And I wish he'd gotten that chance. But it's understandable that Marvel went with Coates, as he had that name recognition which could (and did) bring in new readers. While I've never pressed him on what his pitch was, he did at least admit that there would not have been any rape camps.

On paper, that character sounding boring as ****. I told him, I only checked it out because he was writing it, so I wanted to give it a chance, but I had low expectations. And damn, I was wrong, he knocked that out the park. Such a unique and refreshing character.

Geoff's big break in writing was through Star Trek. The man knows how to write science fiction, and how to write compelling multicultural casts. Black Panther In Space is the perfect concept for him.
    Really? Thought he said he didn't get the chance to pitch his idea (he also said his Tchalla is very different from coates direction so he doesn't know of it would work, which I told him it can always work, especially after the movie drops) to m marvel.

I really want him to write BP. If you have seen the Lexus/Marvel team up comic sound and fury, he writes two issue's in there and captures Tchalla better then Coates in 24 pages. At the very least he is doing the animation side

I just watched the movie for the first time a few hours ago and... It was really good, an amazing movie. I heard before watch it that Killmonger and the supporting cast would steal the show but in my opinion T'Challa is clearly the star and the most interesting character, only Killmonger comes close.

Honestly, after watching the movie I'm almost considering start reading the comic again, but since I dropped the comics because Coates was sidelining T'Challa, maybe I will just be disappointed again. I read until issue 12, have it get any better?

Really? Thought he said he didn't get the chance to pitch his idea
    I could be mis-remembering the exact turn of events. I just know he was approached about the possibility of it, but perhaps they went with Coates before he got the chance to actually present his pitch? I think I remember him saying Marvel also approached him about Nighthawk, before they went with David Walker.

I really want him to write BP. If you have seen the Lexus/Marvel team up comic sound and fury, he writes two issue's in there and captures Tchalla better then Coates in 24 pages. At the very least he is doing the animation side
    Yes, I got that miniseries and it was very good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I just watched the movie for the first time a few hours ago and... It was really good, an amazing movie. I heard before watch it that Killmonger and the supporting cast would steal the show but in my opinion T'Challa is clearly the star and the most interesting character, only Killmonger comes close.

Honestly, after watching the movie I'm almost considering start reading the comic again, but since I dropped the comics because Coates was sidelining T'Challa, maybe I will just be disappointed again. I read until issue 12, have it get any better?
    It's still rubbish.

Even as someone who enjoys the series, I'd say you probably wouldn't care for it if you didn't like Coates' T'Challa in season one. He's gotten a few more action beats, but there's also been two issues where he's almost entirely absent. I haven't yet read this week's issue 171, but I've found the second arc more inconsistent than the first, even if it's more like a traditional superhero comic.

The latest issue was really good, probably the best issue out of what Coates has done.

Apart from that, meh. You will be better of reading Rise of the Black Panther IMO.

I could be mis-remembering the exact turn of events. I just know he was approached about the possibility of it, but perhaps they went with Coates before he got the chance to actually present his pitch? I think I remember him saying Marvel also approached him about Nighthawk, before they went with David Walker.

Yes, I got that miniseries and it was very good.
    I'm searching back on this thread to see of can find it. May take a little bit. But the Dude can write a good Tchalla and by the sounds of it, would beef up his Villains and make some new powerful ones

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'll go as far as saying that Killmonger looked sympathetic at the end (or at least up to a point), but I think it's a stretch to say he looked more heroic.

He was a nut case that tried to drag his nation into a war it would probably lose, got his but kicked, then chose to allow himself to die rather than see jail time. This doesn't sound all that heroic to me.
    Eric was a hero, Same as T'challa.

Quote Originally Posted by goku200 View Post
    Eric was a hero, Same as T'challa.
    In what way was he a hero? His gripe wasn't without merit, but ultimately he was going to drag everyone into war out of revenge. He was a villain, albeit a sympathetic one.