Don't forget "I want to support the character, because if I don't the publisher may think the character isn't popular and decide not to publish the book anymore."

(Unfortunately, there's some truth to that. Occasionally, some characters are deemed "toxic", and are taken off the table for a while.)

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    .I guess where I'm going is that the corporation doesn't care if I buy it reservations, they just care if they get my money.
    Actually, the corporation doesn't care if you buy it or not. Only if your store orders it....

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Attilan doesn't do rape. They do slavery. Jenkins dropped the hammer on them with what he did with the Alpha primitives.

Also Doom runs a dictatorship, where if you sneeze the wrong way, you will die. It what Coates pointed out when he had Tchalla talk with world leaders on how to stop a rebellion.

Tchalla is not a dictator, so the freedom that his people enjoy can also be abused.
    The big problem with that's scene is that it was literally​there just to throw shade.. like it served no purpose to the story otherwise for Changa to get in front of leaders and point it out for for hi. To chatise T'Challa over it. Like much in the run Coates goal was to make T'Challa look emasculated and unable to act like a king/warrior/superhero would act in his own book

Astonishing Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    The big problem with that's scene is that it was literally​there just to throw shade.. like it served no purpose to the story otherwise for Changa to get in front of leaders and point it out for for hi. To chatise T'Challa over it. Like much in the run Coates goal was to make T'Challa look emasculated and unable to act like a king/warrior/superhero would act in his own book
    I actually thought the scene was to tell the audience that Tchalla was not a bad king. Coates showed what bad rulers do when they meet with resistance..While clumsy, I found the message pretty clear.

BANNED

Coates came onboard with a clear and very distinctive agenda.

Built on a solid foundation of false narrative backed up by his male feminism credo, Coates created a distorted version of Wakanda where every single man was depicted as being self centred, inept, backwards or outright misogynistic in outlook and action.

Gay furthered this agenda via Wow as clearly evidenced by the focus on the Midnight Angels and the rest of the Dora Milaje as being the only functional force in a Wakanda where all of the security forces were inexplicably stretched thin despite T'Challa using the Infinity Gauntlet to set things back to just before the first Incursion.

Coates agenda flew in the face of established continuity and totally ignored the ending of Hickman's Secret War II series but as evidenced in this thread, there are some who choose to engage in mental gymnastics to explain away the intellectual dishonesty that this writer and his cronies have utilised to taint the BP mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Gay furthered this agenda via Wow as clearly evidenced by the focus on the Midnight Angels and the rest of the Dora Milaje as being the only functional force in a Wakanda where all of the security forces were inexplicably stretched thin despite T'Challa using the Infinity Gauntlet to set things back to just before the first Incursion.
    Wakanda was not reset to before the first Incursion. The opening of the series literally tells yu that Shuri died fighting against Thanos' forces and shows T'Challa's ancestors rejecting him when he refused to destroy the Great Society's Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousODG View Post
    Wakanda was not reset to before the first Incursion. The opening of the series literally tells yu that Shuri died fighting against Thanos' forces and shows T'Challa's ancestors rejecting him when he refused to destroy the Great Society's Earth.
    Because Hickman threw in the incredibly unecessary and confusing time travel elements at the end of Secret Wars, I think a lot of readers for awhile were sort of confused as to whether or not any of that stuff still happened.

Breevort at one point had to clarrify that it all still happened on Formspring:

http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com...nther-used-the

But we can see from Coates book and WoW that all of it essentially still happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyro View Post
    I'm always amazed at how cheesy and fake looking a lot of onset pics look, but how awesome everything looks in the final product when the CGI and everything else is added.

The red dress and gold arm bands frankly look like a kid in a high school play, but I'm sure it'll look a lot cooler when we see it on the big screen.

I'm having a hard time telling my store I want to drop wow.... hoping marvel drops it before I do

Is that Dora the same actress that appeared in civil war?

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    I'm having a hard time telling my store I want to drop wow.... hoping marvel drops it before I do
    It may be a moot point... there are plenty of signs that #6 is the final issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post

Coates agenda flew in the face of established continuity and totally ignored the ending of Hickman's Secret War II series but as evidenced in this thread, there are some who choose to engage in mental gymnastics to explain away the intellectual dishonesty that this writer and his cronies have utilised to taint the BP mythos.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousODG View Post
    So in other words... Majestic was right that Coates totally ignored the ending of Hickman's Secret War II series? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    So in other words... Majestic was right that Coates totally ignored the ending of Hickman's Secret War II series? lol
    Kinda. He's gone on record as saying he didn't KNOW about the ending when he wrote his scripts, and (for whatever reason) there was no time to do a rewrite.

I'm not sure I entirely buy it, since Bendis knew in time to do his Doom arc in Iron Man, but that's the current party line.

Invincible Member

I'm not sure it matters if he knew the end of SW or not. We were going to get the Mopey Pants take regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It becomes a circular argument though (not you in particular just in general)

Argument #1: Hardcore fans don't matter, so who cares if they are unhappy. They are a vocal minority!

Argument #2: You are keeping the book alive and promoting this shitty version when you buy the book!

I mean... which is it lol? Do we matter or do we not matter?

Plus, being a "C" list hero... there is real risk in not supporting every book no matter what. Because, Marvel may not see it as "Coates isn't telling stories people want." they will see it as, "Black Panther can't sell." It si a double edged sword when you are not one of the "go to" characters that will always get a book. Of course, we could be there already thanks to the MCU so that argument may be moot.
    I'd rather there not be a book, than have the book be trash to where I don't want to buy it. And while that may be a death sentence for Nighthawk or Prowler, there's more wiggle room for characters like BP and Carol because they have movies coming out...

...and the whole reason they even have movies coming out is because fan rumbling became so loud that Marvel couldn't ignore it or else they would risk being on the wrong end of a racially-charged/gender-fueled discrimination ruling in the court of public opinion. They learned their lesson after the first Avengers movie.

So Marvel does listen but the backlash has to be loud, and preferably racially or gender laced, b/c that's something they're scared of. Hence "Riri" after Rhodey died, and the revamped looks for Carol/Jessica Drew. What this means for BP is that they're going to give it the Carol treatment of relaunching (if it were to fail) for as long as it takes, and even longer if the movie is a critical/financial hit.

And what's more interesting is when the commercialized casual fan's portrayal of the character is in perfect alignment with the hardcore fan's preferred portrayal of the character... so Marvel hasn't even put their best foot forward in the comic portrayal yet. And they wouldn't if Coates continues, b/c they'll figure this is what has pacified the masses.