Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SKJoker View Post
    YESS

This is exactly what I was saying. For all the things people have had issues with Coates for, it's surprising they're hyped here but then complain about T'Challa being a side-character in his own book. It gives complaints less weight.

Black Panther was a GREAT movie. But T'Challa himself lacked most of the traits that made him one of my favorite superheroes. People complain here about minor things - T'Challa crying, or not killing Namor. And a lot of it shows up to me as toxic.

Funny enough though, the movie had both things - T'Challa crying (ancestral plane) and him failing to keep his promise to capture Klaue... USING THE EXACT SAME LINE HE GAVE TO NAMOR! "Every breath you take is mercy from me," and he fails.

So when I see people who trashed Hickman's run, then praise the same elements in this movie... And trash Coates's run, which builds the world of Wakanda more than T'Challa himself... I realize why Marvel goes in the direction it does regardless of complaints like the ones here.

I'm going to reiterate - I don't like Coates's run. I love Hickman's run. I loved Black Panther, the movie. That said, the issues I have with Coates's run and this movie are the same - T'Challa himself doesn't amount to that much outside of some physical feats. But one of the things that makes the character so appealing - to me at least - is his matchless mind. Without it, here he is just a king and a superhero. And honestly, that's kind of depressing.
    I saw the same thing. It seems one of T'Challa's powers is power seep instead of power creep. They need a seen in the next movie where T'Challa corrects Shuri on something tech related or some such or movie goers may never see it. I liked the movie as well, and they did low key showcase T'Challa and his various gifts, but I really had to watch. Casual fans will miss it.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Also, in regards to the Warrior Falls fight -

1. Non-enhanced Killmonger beats enhanced T'Challa in the comics, so this fit with that.
    2. T'Challa at one point knocks Killmonger down and says "yield" but Killmonger keeps going. So had T'Challa been more ruthless to his cousin, he would have won.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    I mean sure we don't what N'jobu taught a young Killmonger before he died, but his extent of knowledge about Wakanda and tradition was incredible.
    I do wish we could've gotten a scene of Killmonger on a military mission or something, just to give us a proper frame of reference for his skill before the fight with T'Challa.

I mean, he gets in a gun fight with a one-armed man, shot his girl, and hit T'Challa with a grenade launcher. Okay, so after all that *I* probably don't want to mess with him (been a while since I handled a gun) but he doesn't seem any more dangerous than someone like, say, Crossbones, who couldn't take out Steve Rogers with a dozen other guys.

The dialogue explains how dangerous Killmonger is but we don't get a real sense of that until he fights the Panther. A scene where he shows off his "government toppling" training would've provided some context. But with everything else the film had to establish? No one's got time for that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

Looking back Marvel Studios wanted him to be a big deal but now they know their gamble with this franchise literally have them laughing to the bank WITHOUT adding in the merch and dvd/blu ray/digital sales

Btw bestbuy.com has preorders up for the standard and 4K blu ray steelbook up

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    But he didn't have to cheat Because look at the circumstances. If he cheated it would of Actually taken away fro. kilmonger, having T'Challa lose Because a huge bomb about his father was dropped on him is more powerful then him owning him then kilmonger cheats. Having his core shaken then him come to terms after talking to his father makes more impact because round two roles and he is at 100% fully focused and ready
    Truth. I'm going to see it again tomorrow. I missed how Killmonger got so good in different fighting styles so I wanna catch that. You're right though, it needed to happen the way it did and shocking panther makes it a bit more believable that he could be taken him. Panther got him in the end and that's what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    Also, I don't think they dumbed T'Challa down too much. The Civil War suit is his design. He also showed tactical intelligence throughout the film. MCU Shuri might be the super-genius, but T'Challa never seemed lost with what she was doing. I took it like T'Challa used his intelligence similar to the way DCAU Jon Stewart used his ring, favoring function over form and flamboyance. His focus is more on politics and people than the lab.
    People just see what they want to see.

T'Challa saved Okoye and everyone in that police office by jumping on that live grenade, and then Killmonger was running away and shot BP with some exploding rocket launcher thing that sent BP back (bc he was in midair) but his suit absorbed it.

Those are two durability feats, 1 big heroic save, and a cowardly heel tactic by the villain.

Yet somehow that's a detriment on T'Challa

lol, just suonds like people are full of dookie, but it's their god-given right i suppose.

T'Challa's biceps and pecs aren't big enough

Their comic-god given right to feel that way i suppose

Incredible Member

Low key though: Really wanted nakia to kill killmonger's girl. I assumed she was a military buddy of his that was a spy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    T'Challa's biceps and pecs aren't big enough

Their comic-god given right to feel that way i suppose

Bucky isn’t that big but folks give him as pass

Low key though: Really wanted nakia to kill killmonger's girl. I assumed she was a military buddy of his that was a spy.

I assumed she was a merc that he teamed up with and just became part of his click

Incredible Member

To be fair. Cable is thought of the same way. Im sure josh brolin would not be considered big enough to play the character.

Some characters just are imagined big I guess.

Fantastic Member

FWIW, I didn't mind T'Challa losing to Killmonger. We all know T'Challa has never beaten him in the comics, so it wasn't surprising. I feel like they tried to build Killmonger up with Ross's exposition, though... I feel like it wasn't enough? With a more intelligent T'Challa, I wouldn't have minded if he needed someone else to help him win. I was actually expecting a final suit-less fight, but.

Incredible Member

Speaking of the suit, Did anyone catch what killmonger's did? Shuri never really explained the suit with it just looking more modern. I'd assume that both did the same thing only being different with the tribal necklace. Not Quite sure if I missed it...

Nah, I love panther so the unfan thing can stay in its lane.

I did not like him relying on the suit for that first fight. I tried to understand the mini fight actually since the grenade was absorbed by the suit. Then he got shot by a more powerful blast that I guess prematurely activated the suit? Still didn't understand that sequence of events...

It was a grenade launcher. Somehow enough force to own Tchalla

Speaking of the suit, Did anyone catch what killmonger's did? Shuri never really explained the suit with it just looking more modern. I'd assume that both did the same thing only being different with the tribal necklace. Not Quite sure if I missed it...
    I just assumed they were the same but with different styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    It was a grenade launcher. Somehow enough force to own Tchalla
    To be fair, grenades were shown to be highly effective against vibranium in TWS when Bucky sent Cap flying on the bridge. Marvel's just being consistent.