Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Yes. It's also the story that introduced Monica Lynn. As far as people knowing about Wakanda, like you say is was inconsistent. I can't remember the issue number, but I know there was some story where the Avengers were considering to to call for a mission and BP had gone home. There a large panel of T'Challa at the UN in "African" garb saying "Wakanda will share it's gifts with countries who believe in peace and deny them those who want war!"

Another funny thing about the SoS story is that it was a two part tale but the cover to the second part is incredibly misleading.

Nothing remotely like this happens in the comic
    Covers back then tended to be inaccurate (not that covers these days are that much better), but you can't help but notice a lot ate also pretty funny.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Ticket sales seem to be doing well so farAttachment 60505

Good to see there's plenty of excitement for the movie but i'll personally be steering clear of seeing the movie for a month at least. I don't typically see big movies in the early weeks after the release but the few times I do have taught me people don't know how to keep a lid on it so other people can actually hear and enjoy the movie so i'll be more than happy to wait this one out for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    It merged with Gamespot....
    Yeah I just read about it and going by the comments made about John Stewart and Cyborg on the Injustice boards the site as a whole isn't worth visiting.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Is it the fake Black Panther they're referencing, perhaps? There's two Sons of the Serpent stories and I get them mixed up. There's the first where it's really a plot by the red Chinese. In the second, it's a black guy and a white guy stoking racism because both sides are equally to blame, I guess? The sad thing is the story actually has some poignant moments that feel eerily applicable today, but it ends with such nonsensical bullshit.
    The first SoS story ( which by the way introduced Bill Foster although he was only there as a plot device) was written by Stan Lee. The other one was written by Roy Thomas. Yeah, the Roy Thomas one had this right wing white TV host and a black militant debating throughout and I guess supposedly stoking racial tensions and twist ending was that they were partners all along.

The first SoS story ( which by the way introduced Bill Foster although he was only there as a plot device) was written by Stan Lee. The other one was written by Roy Thomas. Yeah, the Roy Thomas one had this right wing white TV host and a black militant debating throughout and I guess supposedly stoking racial tensions and twist ending was that they were partners all along.
    Sounds like some dumb ish good old boy Roy would write smh..

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Yep. It's a shame because there are actual good moments in that story that still resonate (it's also twice as sad since I could actually still see some writer writing the twist ending, if not today, then in the last ten years). Was it that second Son of the Serpent story with the fake Black Panther and the unmasking him on television to reveal the Panther was black?

BTW, I don't know if anyone listens to the Titan Up the Defense podcast (basically, two brothers get drunk and review either a New Teen Titans comic or a Defenders comic). The host was reviewing a Defenders comic that had both the Sons of the Serpent and Son of Satan, so he he couldn't use SOS as an abbreviation. Instead, he decided to call them TLSW (Turd-Licking **** Weasels).
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I should do a destroyed uniform count. Certainly, it's not uncommon. Luckily, he's in Wakanda, so he can get some easy replacements. So far:

#6 - Preyy scratches him, but the uniform doesn't tear and appears intact after that (1).
    #7 - Uniform is still good.
    #8 - Malice's spear throw grazes his shoulder, tearing his uniform, before shattering the column. Once again, the damage appears to vanish (2).
    #9 - His uniform is torn in the cover, does that count? No damage in the comic.
    #10 - Torn on the cover and after the Crocodile fight (3).

I'm going with three so far. I'll count magic repairing tears, but not cover-only tears.

BTW, I assume everyone has seen the box office projections up to 120 Million? Unless I'm mistaken, that will beat the best domestic opening weekend for a solo Marvel film. I'd love to know how the tracking compares to the tracking for those other movies, though. It feels that it's usually lower than the actual results.
    I don't think he suffered such damage during his time with the Avengers before Panther's Rage.

But another theme of Panther's Rage was that war really was hell.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 01-14-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Incredible Member

They included Black Panther's hand on the Avengers 4 wrap party cake alongside Hulk, Cap and Black Widow.

It's awesome he's being pushed as such a major part of this universe in such a short time. If you'd told me that just a few years ago I wouldn't have believed it.

Very good to see them have him being such an important player in the MCU. I hope they continue this focus.

Marvel Comics Universe? Your turn.

I'm very happy with all of the increased focus and media attention on the Black Panther film. I also like that it is already breaking records. This movie is great for the mythos and will certainly expand the fan-base.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

A quick update from last issue. I wasn't certain then, but this issue makes it clear that the chamber T'Challa entered after fighting King Cadaver was actually his techno-Jungle. It wasn't just that they were stealing weapons, it was directly connected. I don't know the extent they explore it, but it feels like a massive conspiracy would be required to pull it off. It seems everywhere we go, there's a massive network of tunnels that Killmonger can use.

Jungle Action #11 - Once You Slay the Dragon!

This issue begins In Media Res as the Black Panther and his soldiers march on Killmonger's village, N'Jadaka (named after him). This is the second issue I can recall that references the title in the story. W'Kabi has been inching to battle against Killmonger's home and T'Challa tells him that they are slaying his dragon (a reference W'Kabi doesn't get). N'Jadaka is a primitive village of thatched huts and soldiers with spears and shields - or so it seems. Once T'Challa and crew have entered, the facade is removed and Lord Karnaj and his army come out. But it appears T'Challa is not caught unaware and a battle breaks out.

During the battle, T'Challa saves W'Kabi and they shake hands in the style of Dutch and Dillon in Predator. The collective power of badassery triggers a long flashback where we see T'Challa solve Zatama's murder. Tanzika, the handmaiden who was serving everyone dinner the night the murder, killed him (I guess because they were secretly dating and he was going to dump her). The spear used to kill him was just the shish kebab stick with a middle piece added. I commented earlier that this was subtly done but all the clues were there. They don't hide the fact that the stick and the spear look virtually identical with one being longer than the other. Also, the only cast of characters with opportunity were W'Kabi, Taku, and Tanzika.

Back to the present, we continue the battle with a long narration about the horrors of war and its indiscriminate killing. If you can accept this style, it's very powerful as we see a boy dead in Taku's arms. This is followed by Taku - a man who we've seen five issues establishing as kind and gentle, a man who, at the beginning of this issue, felt guilty about betraying the trust of friendship with the villain Venomm in order to find this village, reach out in rage and anger to fight back against Lord Karnaj. As the narration says, "This is Taku ... He was a gentle, sensitive man."

This may be the strongest issue yet. If there's a weakness, I'm not sure the flashback in the middle is the best way to have handled it. Still, I liked the resolution of the Monica story. More importantly, the exploration of war in this issue is great. W'Kabi wanted this battle and he had the battle. The battle was horrific for all sides and no one could truly be seen as a winner. In addition to the lives lost, it possibly cost Taku his soul. When T'Challa asks if it was worth it, W'Kabi responds that it was still necessary. Powerful stuff.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I'm very happy with all of the increased focus and media attention on the Black Panther film. I also like that it is already breaking records. This movie is great for the mythos and will certainly expand the fan-base.
    You really have to hand it to Marvel for the way they've handled this film/event. I trust Marvel, but the manner in which they've developed Black Panther is actually quiet jarring. Its better than I thought. They've built up T'Challa over a 3 year period. They set the foundation before T'Challa ever appeared on screen, starting with the introduction of Wakanda to the MCU in Age of Ultron. Then T'Challas' first apperance in Civil War which started the buzz.

It was genius marketing having him being front and center in the Infinity War trailer, with the last scene being a shot of Wakanda, letting everybody know how integral he and the movie is to the MCU.

The promotional art is gorgeous

Marketing aside, the casting, behind camera talent, cinematography, music(and from what I've seen as so far action sequences, CGI ) looks superb. Marvel has pulled out all the stops for this, and most importantly theyve kept the integrity of the character in tact.

T'Challa with the muscle of the Disney/Marvel machine fully behind it has been a sight to behold.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Chessboxer View Post
    They set the foundation before T'Challa ever appeared on screen, starting with the introduction of Wakanda to the MCU in Age of Ultron.
    Alot of ppl think Wakanda is in AoU for some reason
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Alot of ppl think Wakanda is in AoU for some reason
    I know, it just mentioned it because of the introduction of Vibranium/Klaw/, Banner mentioned it etc