Quote Originally Posted by Rise Above View Post
    One of my best friend’s attended SCAD, he only had good things to say about the city.

Anyways, who else does anyone think should be revealed as a member of Killmonger’s black ops team?
    Some names I had considered:
    • Moses Magnum
    • Kraven
    •Taskmaster
    •Grim Reaper

Any others?
    Vlad from Liss' run.
    Venomm (Obviously would need a new name)
    Madam Slay
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I'd like to see the next writer of BP borrow some elements of MCU Shuri for MU Version. They could keep her current griot powers (minus the white hair, make it dark blue/black or dark purple/black), but make her a bit more lighthearted and show despite her "druid" abilities she likes to tinker with tech as a hobby.

Also, flat out graft MCU M'Baku onto the current one and make him a strained ally. He should always keep T'challa on his toes but not be an enemy when #### gets real.

Rehab Nakia and make her like T'challa's Black Widow and potential love interest once they decide to do something else with Storm.
    Or they could bring back Melekia and have her look like MCU Nakia. Because let’s be real, MCU Nakia was Melekia in everything but name. Plus they could bring back Okoye and have her look like her film counterpart.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

let's see here...

Defeats M'baku... Check!

Klaws henchmen... Check!

Captures Klaw... Check!

Kills enhanced Killmonger... Check!

Keep in mind that not one Dora is going toe to toe with M'baku nor did Okoye and Nakia capture Klaw as their car fell apart but Killmonger was working a team of Dora's along with Nakia and Shuri when they joined the fight!

Basically T'challa saved the day with really only one technical loss as he was Peter Panned right off the sacred waterfall...

This is a very T'challacentric trailer...

Ship spear takedown...

"I never freeze" Nakia rescue...

Ghost ride the whip car chase scene...

Force push the frontline battle...

One thing I really like was that Killmonger was introduced as T'challa's cousin rather than some secret brother. That would have been so corny and would have sapped a lot of my interest.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    It does not because as been said before in this very thread and as the movie depicted that T’Challa IS the main character, the disconnect is that some just wanted him to do everything or aren’t use to the supporting characters still being around for the second and majority of the third act
    Meanwhile, everyone who has seen the movie has come away with stronger impressions of the side characters. It's not "oh, the side characters are good for once!" Almost no one is talking about T'Challa. Not in articles, not in discussion. He's depicted as the main character in pretty much the same way Coates does it.

If that’s what you got from people's complaints you misunderstood what they’re actually complaining about which was that the crying wasn’t going to get him anywhere as we knew someone else would solve it and probably not make him come off like a effect hero( and this was proven right) and most including myself said him threatening to kill Namor would ring hollow because there was no way they’d actually let him do it( right again ). Where in the movie he cried because he was sick that the man he looked up to the most could do something that to him was sickening and basically tainted how he views him and despite not threatening anyone T’Challa still took a couple lives and did so for Wakanda
    I mean, crying is rarely the ends to a solution. The man cried when he saw his father in the movie, and when he couldn't kill billions in the comics. Interestingly enough, both scenes were about T'Challa's dedication to Wakanda and ability to be king... I don't find that calling him an ineffective hero for that to be accurate. You realize that comic T'challa cried because the man he looked up to the most (and the rest of his ancestors!) could *command* him to do something that to him was sickening and basically tainted how he views him? His threat to bring Klaue back also proved hollow. Killmonger did it.

So we’re just going to skip over Killmonger throwing a wrench into that plan and T’Challa having to make a choice that again effects all of Wakanda for two friends? I don’t recall anything like that going down in the comics
    T'Challa did attempt to kill Namor. The Black Order threw a wrench into that plan. And Namor himself by... surviving.

It’s sounds like you’re upset over different things that unfortunately aren’t close to being similar outside of a few things ie him crying
    No, I'm annoyed that there are obvious parallels - down to the same lines being used - and people aren't catching them.

Really because in both the movie and in the comics pre-Coates T’Challa racked up a lot of psychological feats as well ie him dealing with M’Baku, Ross and diplomacy, even a bit with Killmonger and diplomacy again at the very end of the movie
    That's actually not to the level I mean when I talk about T'Challa's diplomacy. That's something you see from many superheroes, including Spider-Man and Thor. Rounding up a former enemy to be a friend isn't the T'Challa-level feats I'm talking about. This is a man that deals with Doom and Namor on a regular basis. We know he can do better on diplomacy alone, not to mention strategic feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Complaints about Coates handling of BP/Wakanda made by fans in this thread:

No Afro-futurism
    Wakanda being portrayed as misogynistic
    Tree-house rape camps
    Ineffective use of the farce push
    Ineffective leadership by T'Challa
    T'Challa meeting with dictators on how to quell a rebellion
    Using BP as a stealth title
    Little to no feats

None of those issues were present in the BP movie.

Meanwhile, the Kimoyo beads from Coates's run are on full display. The force push - also from Coates's run is on full display, being used just as well. Ineffective leadership...? We didn't even see the average Wakandan's reaction. When Killmonger took the throne, he immediately had half of T'Challa's army - the War Dogs at least - loyal to him.

Wakanda wasn't even portrayed as misogynistic in Coates's run. There were terrible places, of course. The entire idea was that T'Challa wasn't paying attention to the areas with the rape camps. Incidentally, this is a source of conflict between Nakia and T'Challa at the beginning of the movie - wanting to do more (for those kidnapped women, for example) vs sitting in the city and maintaining the Wakandan way of life.

---

I'm willing to accept that a lot of this is because it's a younger T'Challa. This is definitely not a Priest, Hickman, Liss, or Hudlin Panther. That said, I would have loved to see more of the character himself. He doesn't come off as inspirational - people are loyal to him for the most tenuous of reasons... because they know him personally or because Killmonger is the bad guy. Or, in M'Baku's case, because he spared him. Every other aspect of him is reflected better in another character.

So while ultimately the movie itself is AMAZING... T'Challa leaves a lot to be desired from the moment Klaue escapes onwards. Which is why everyone is talking about how significant everyone else is, and how inspirational they are... yet nothing about T'Challa. I feel like comic book T'Challa would do more to inspire think pieces about black excellence and different shades of black masculinity.

In the movies... Killmonger is interesting commentary on the socio-political climate of race relations in America. Shuri, Okoye, and Nakia are inspiring black girls, showing them wonderful representation of everything they could achieve.

And T'Challa... well, he's a hero that looks like we - black males - do. That's strong, but not as strong as what the other characters do IMO. See, black women are already pursuing education in droves. Intensely dedicated to their future. The women of Wakanda probably reinforce that path for any black girl who came to see the movie. That's strong.

BANNED

Disney and Marvel Studios' "Black Panther" has hauled in half a billion dollars at the global box office just one week after debuting in U.S. theaters.

The latest estimate from the House of Mouse shows the superhero movie's worldwide ticket sales climbing to $520.1 million through Thursday.

"Black Panther" has now earned $292 million in U.S. theaters, topping the seven-day sales for "Marvel's Avengers" and taking the crown for the best North American opening week for a Marvel Studios film.

Quote Originally Posted by Montez View Post
    Disney and Marvel Studios' "Black Panther" has hauled in half a billion dollars at the global box office just one week after debuting in U.S. theaters.

The latest estimate from the House of Mouse shows the superhero movie's worldwide ticket sales climbing to $520.1 million through Thursday.

"Black Panther" has now earned $292 million in U.S. theaters, topping the seven-day sales for "Marvel's Avengers" and taking the crown for the best North American opening week for a Marvel Studios film.
    Additionally, estimates are saying it should pass $700mWW by the end of this weekend.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/black-pa...ss-1202297841/

If this film keeps chugging along, we'll be past the $800mWW mark before it opens in China on 03/09.

Fantastic Member

I will say though - I'm ecstatic about this movie's success, and I'm genuinely hyped for a sequel.

BANNED

Creators who are expected to attend:

Johnathan Hickman
    Wilfredo Torres
    Sanford Greene

That’s worth the price imo, I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Torres

The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    I pretty much have the same complaints about the movie that are on this page. http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post36364001

I hope the russo brothers have an infinitely better take on the character than Coogler.
    Their take in civil war was better even while keeping his abilities limited as to not undermine the plans Coogler had with him. I trust them to do character justice.

Quote Originally Posted by SKJoker View Post
    Meanwhile, everyone who has seen the movie has come away with stronger impressions of the side characters. It's not "oh, the side characters are good for once!" Almost no one is talking about T'Challa. Not in articles, not in discussion. He's depicted as the main character in pretty much the same way Coates does it.

I mean, crying is rarely the ends to a solution. The man cried when he saw his father in the movie, and when he couldn't kill billions in the comics. Interestingly enough, both scenes were about T'Challa's dedication to Wakanda and ability to be king... I don't find that calling him an ineffective hero for that to be accurate. You realize that comic T'challa cried because the man he looked up to the most (and the rest of his ancestors!) could *command* him to do something that to him was sickening and basically tainted how he views him? His threat to bring Klaue back also proved hollow. Killmonger did it.

T'Challa did attempt to kill Namor. The Black Order threw a wrench into that plan. And Namor himself by... surviving.

No, I'm annoyed that there are obvious parallels - down to the same lines being used - and people aren't catching them.

That's actually not to the level I mean when I talk about T'Challa's diplomacy. That's something you see from many superheroes, including Spider-Man and Thor. Rounding up a former enemy to be a friend isn't the T'Challa-level feats I'm talking about. This is a man that deals with Doom and Namor on a regular basis. We know he can do better on diplomacy alone, not to mention strategic feats.

Meanwhile, the Kimoyo beads from Coates's run are on full display. The force push - also from Coates's run is on full display, being used just as well. Ineffective leadership...? We didn't even see the average Wakandan's reaction. When Killmonger took the throne, he immediately had half of T'Challa's army - the War Dogs at least - loyal to him.

Wakanda wasn't even portrayed as misogynistic in Coates's run. There were terrible places, of course. The entire idea was that T'Challa wasn't paying attention to the areas with the rape camps. Incidentally, this is a source of conflict between Nakia and T'Challa at the beginning of the movie - wanting to do more (for those kidnapped women, for example) vs sitting in the city and maintaining the Wakandan way of life.

---

I'm willing to accept that a lot of this is because it's a younger T'Challa. This is definitely not a Priest, Hickman, Liss, or Hudlin Panther. That said, I would have loved to see more of the character himself. He doesn't come off as inspirational - people are loyal to him for the most tenuous of reasons... because they know him personally or because Killmonger is the bad guy. Or, in M'Baku's case, because he spared him. Every other aspect of him is reflected better in another character.

So while ultimately the movie itself is AMAZING... T'Challa leaves a lot to be desired from the moment Klaue escapes onwards. Which is why everyone is talking about how significant everyone else is, and how inspirational they are... yet nothing about T'Challa. I feel like comic book T'Challa would do more to inspire think pieces about black excellence and different shades of black masculinity.

In the movies... Killmonger is interesting commentary on the socio-political climate of race relations in America. Shuri, Okoye, and Nakia are inspiring black girls, showing them wonderful representation of everything they could achieve.

And T'Challa... well, he's a hero that looks like we - black males - do. That's strong, but not as strong as what the other characters do IMO. See, black women are already pursuing education in droves. Intensely dedicated to their future. The women of Wakanda probably reinforce that path for any black girl who came to see the movie. That's strong.
    I'm happy the movie is doing well and that there are folks who are enjoying it but the portrayal of T'Challa leaves a lot to be desired. What Ryan Coogler did was hand out T'Challa's traits to the supporting cast throw the rest away and make him a purely reactive protagonist with no agency. Nothing more to him other than to share his father's ideals for more than half the movie (which turned out to be the wrong ideals) whilst acting as a vehicle to others. Shuri the scientist, okoye the greatest warrior in wakanda, nakia who had the right ideology (that T'Challa shot down to only consider after a mad man throws him off a waterfall) and killmonger's conviction. No shade on boseman. he delivered on what they were going for I just don't agree with what they were going for.

What they've utterly failed to showcase is the characters strategic mind. He's cunning and resourcefulness. They essentially turned him into a glorified spotlight.
    Last edited by Pulp Fiction; 02-23-2018 at 01:09 PM.

BANNED

Thread Name:

Black Panther: "I never Yielded."

Black Panther: King of the Box Office.
    I really like Black Panther: King of the Box Office. I could also go for Black Panther: Delete That Footage

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    I'm happy the movie is doing well and that there are folks who are enjoying it but the portrayal of T'Challa leaves a lot to be desired. What Ryan Coogler did was hand out T'Challa's traits to the supporting cast throw the rest away and make him a purely reactive protagonist with no agency. Nothing more to him other than to share his father's ideals for more than half the movie (which turned out to be the wrong ideals) whilst acting as a vehicle to others. Shuri the scientist, okoye the greatest warrior in wakanda and nakia who had the right ideology (that T'Challa shot down to only consider after a mad man throws him off a waterfall). No shade on boseman. he delivered on what they were going for I just don't agree with what they going for.

What they've utterly failed to showcase is the characters strategic mind. He's cunning and resourcefulness. They essentially turned him into a glorified spotlight.
    I have to say, much like I feel about the issues I've read under Coates, the cast revolves around T'Challa spectacularly. They get to shine based off the relationships they share with him. He is very much the "Sun" that lights the Wakandan "Universe". His supporting cast brings out the many likeable traits that make T'Challa the King of all Kings.