Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    I don't believe that at all. Despite my own misgivings (and really, I'm just saying to those that have already had a problem that it's going to continue, so you might as well stop reading now), movies/tv overtake comics and frankly, I'm expect T'Challa to fix things up by the second half.
    I am definitely with you there.

Hopefully, Civil War clips will be on Youtube soon, so I can just watch MCU t'challa kick ass and take names

I just don't think this whole first half should be a trainwreck for T'Challa to get the point across.
    nailed it

Speaking of TV...

wtf is this?

what cartoon is that???
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I didn't expect, and definitely didn't hope, that the Bendis Avengers comparison would be so accurate. Especially since I was on the opposite side then, and still have no inkling to read that run.

How this gets resolved is going to be big for me. What Coates does to show why and namely HOW T'Challa is a worthy hero, person, and king.

Because the complaint that this feels like act two without an act one is very accurate. Especially without reading NA/TRO/SW
    Last edited by Double 0; 06-21-2016 at 10:46 AM.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post

Also is just e or does it sound like the MA are turning a little to the villainous side now? Also it said Tetu and the people and not Tetu and Zenzi, could it possibly be that becomes an ally to T'Challaby the time issue 6 rolls by?
    T'challa is (supposed to be) the good guy

Tetu and the People are the bad guys

I think the MA are supposed to be in the middle... they aren't good in a sense that they are acting like Doras should act but they aren't doing villainous things... they are just doing what they feel is right. They may feel as if The People deserve to crown...

but I imagine, in the end, they will see the error of their ways and turn on them

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I didn't expect, and definitely didn't hope, that the Bendis Avengers comparison would be so accurate. Especially since I was on the opposite side then, and still have no inkling to read that run.

How this gets resolved is going to be big for me. What Coates does to show why and namely HOW T'Challa is a worthy hero, person, and king.
    It would have to be so epic Majestik can't stop clapping to make up for it at this point. If the solicits aren't full of shit of course.

T'challa being scolded by the UN for being a bad king... i mean... fuck man

Because the complaint that this freels like act two without an act one is very accurate. Especially without reading NA/TRO/SW
    Yeah, thats why when I new guy comes in and is like "I like this book!" I get somewhat confused. Maybe because they are just looking for "good books" instead of "Good t'challa books?"

And this all coming right after MCU t'challa is so freaking baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    It's not even about feats (at least not for me). The book is done in such a way that T'Challa is painted as poor leader, superhero, and not even a very good person. Hickman's run made it a point to show that both Reed and T'Challa were good men that were forced to do horrible things in order to save the world, and they lost their souls in the process.

Coates paints a picture of T'Challa being nothing but a terrible king. No mention of him saving all of existence, no mention of his nobility or altruistic nature, Not even so much as a warm moment between him and his mother. All we've gotten so far is "T'Challa is a bad leader, T'Challa ignored sex trafficking, T'Challa doesn't understand his people at all, T'Challa isn't focused, T'Challa let his sister die, T'Challa couldn't protect Wakanda.
    Yes there is a certain negative tone about it, which then begs the question, What do the citizens of Wakanda actually remember? Because it seems no one in the world knows that T'Challa brought back the MU, all that was said is that Reed and Sue sacrifced themselves to save the multiverse and giving them all the praise (which is bullsh*t) and nothing is really been said about T'Challa. Its little things like that that piss me off, Coates story its still very early and though the solicits aren't what i was hoping to read by issue 6, there is still 4 issues in between that we have no idea of what is going on, and maybe (hopefully) there is something in those issues that can ease some of this bad taste.

But again i do think small victories will matter in this case because of how T'Challa is being portrayed and how he looks to his people. I truly hope that the entire tone Coates wants to focus on is how much of a failure T'Challa is without even bothering to show all the positive. Also MA's turning into villains possibly since they re joining Tetu or atleast the offer has been made?

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It would have to be so epic Majestik can't stop clapping to make up for it at this point. If the solicits aren't full of shit of course.

T'challa being scolded by the UN for being a bad king... i mean... fuck man

Yeah, thats why when I new guy comes in and is like "I like this book!" I get somewhat confused. Maybe because they are just looking for "good books" instead of "Good t'challa books?"

And this all coming right after MCU t'challa is so freaking baffling.
    Despite whar I said, I still like the book. I'm a glutton for political and social intrigue and this book is filled with it. And I'm invested in where some of the arcs arc going.

So there is merit to liking the book. It just has clear flaws.

As for the MCU stuff... Again, Priest's run and Hudlin's are openly accessible. I don't think books should be beholden to the movies.

And when it comes to redeeming... To me, it's more reaching a conclusion that satisfies what was built, not about who it impresses.
    Last edited by Double 0; 06-21-2016 at 10:53 AM.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Because the complaint that this feels like act two without an act one is very accurate. Especially without reading NA/TRO/SW
    And I think that's where the division among most of us in this thread lies.

There of those who have faith that Coates will stick the landing and all the build up will be worth it.

There are those who have no faith that Coates will stick the landing and think the best we can hope for is another Pyrrhic victory.

I feel as though the people who have faith have it based on Coates previous work and his awareness of issues that black people face globally.

Those of us that lack faith feel the way we do because we've been continually burned (and in some cases outright lied to) when it comes to these types of stories featuring T'Challa. As I said before I'm done giving anyone the benefit of the doubt with this stuff. Coates interviews concerning the book and the character have also had a serious negative impact on much leeway long time fans are willing to give him.

Despite whar I said, I still like the book. I'm a glutton for political and social intrigue and this book is filled with it. And I'm invested in where some of the arcs arc going.

So there is merit to liking the book. It just has clear flaws.
    Do you like it as a BOOK or as a Black Panther book?

man, if this tone is really kept for 6 issues, the first trade might as well be called Black Panther: Failings of T'challa (who has been king for 4 minutes)

There of those who have faith that Coates will stick the landing and all the build up will be worth it.

There are those who have no faith that Coates will stick the landing and think the best we can hope for is another Pyrrhic victory.

I feel as though the people who have faith have it based on Coates previous work and his awareness of issues that black people face globally.

Those of us that lack faith feel the way we do because we've been continually burned (and in some cases outright lied to) when it comes to these types of stories featuring T'Challa. As I said before I'm done giving anyone the benefit of the doubt with this stuff. Coates interviews concerning the book and the character have also had a serious negative impact on much leeway long time fans are willing to give him.
    Not asking you to.

For me, yeah, his previous work makes me give him leeway. But also the fact that he was clear about where this story was going to go. He could have lied or trashed long time fans like other creators have. He just said what I'm going to do will not be everyone's tempo. Namely not long time fans.

That makes me think that whatever he's building up he truly thinks is worth the hassle.

But that's me. I get that what I look for in stories don't match what most of y'all are looking for.

I'll say again, I get why people like the book, it's very well written and incredibly drawn. If you stripped this book of everything that ties to to the Marvel universe I'd probably like it too, but once you put Black Panther and Wakanda into it becomes incredibly off putting to me a a long time fan of the character and mythos.

Those of us that lack faith feel the way we do because we've been continually burned (and in some cases outright lied to) when it comes to these types of stories featuring T'Challa. As I said before I'm done giving anyone the benefit of the doubt with this stuff.. Coates interviews concerning the book and the character have also had a serious negative impact on much leeway long time fans are willing to give him.
    Well i am not too sure in this thread who all has faith Coates is going to stick the landing, But more so they are holding on to the hope that he will stick the landing. Because in the end, this isn't a one and done deal, Coates is signed on for a few years so that means that its not just going to end and then thats that. He is still going to be writing the story. So its VERY important that Coates realize what he needs to do to elevate T'Challa's Profile. The only way i could possibly even think this could be somewhat mildly ok, is if Ultimates #1 takes place after the events of this solo. Because then we know that T'Challa has things looking right and that the world see's Wakanda as the beacon of light for them to follow. I want something thats going to show that this tough act isnt going to be a DW 2.0 that that the entire journey also isn;t going to just be a train wreck through and through with things ending badly for the Monarch system or the Dora's or T'challa.. Thats not a good feeling to have.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Do you like it as a BOOK or as a Black Panther book?

man, if this tone is really kept for 6 issues, the first trade might as well be called Black Panther: Failings of T'challa (who has been king for 4 minutes)

Black Panther: Failings of the King

Okay.. im done now

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    Black Panther #6

T’Challa’s failures as king are revealed to the UNITED NATIONS!
    • Ayo and Aneka, the Midnight Angels, are courted by Tetu and The People to raise Wakanda to glory, but at what price?
    The storyline that has critics raving and retailers selling out continues!
    Damn... Coates out here cookin up a masterpiece!

But hey, if we're still in the 45-55k range by then... Coates wins the internet and I was clearly out of touch with what type of foot forward BP needed to capture the hearts (and wallets) of the masses.
    Last edited by Rumble; 06-21-2016 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Well i am not too sure in this thread who all has faith Coates is going to stick the landing, But more so they are holding on to the hope that he will stick the landing. Because in the end, this isn't a one and done deal, Coates is signed on for a few years so that means that its not just going to end and then thats that. He is still going to be writing the story. So its VERY important that Coates realize what he needs to do to elevate T'Challa's Profile. The only way i could possibly even think this could be somewhat mildly ok, is if Ultimates #1 takes place after the events of this solo. Because then we know that T'Challa has things looking right and that the world see's Wakanda as the beacon of light for them to follow. I want something thats going to show that this tough act isnt going to be a DW 2.0 that that the entire journey also isn;t going to just be a train wreck through and through with things ending badly for the Monarch system or the Dora's or T'challa.. Thats not a good feeling to have.
    Coates has already said he's not really concerned with raising T'Challa's profile. He approached the book from the standpoint that everybody knows how great he is and what he's about. His goal from the jump was always to examine the culture of Wakanda tackle why an advanced nation would have a monarchy.

I think it's a miscalculation on his part, but it's not like his take is going to hurt the profile of T'Challa in any way, he's pretty much got movie armor now. Marvel might have to consider putting out another Black Panther book tho, because I can't imagine new fans that liked the movie version would be willing to sit through Coates take on the character.

I know my stance seems ultra pessimistic, but I'm willing to swallow my words if i'm actually shown something different.

I know for me... I think I just got my expectations too high. Or maybe just got too excited.

I got into this character because of Earth's Mightiest Hero cartoon. That was my T'challa... first time I even knew who he was, he broke into Stark's computer and then beat on the Avengers until he got bored. He was a genius, ninja, cool suit, cool tech, and a king. Using the internet, I learned more about the mythos before even getting into non-X-men comic books. Started Liss's run, found this thread, told to find Priest run, and then my brain exploded.

I thought Coate's run was goign to be when I got MY T'challa back. The confident, wise, ninja, king EMH T'challa. Hanging with Avengers kicking ass. Or goign off on his own kicking ass as he saw fit for him and HIS country.

I didn't know who TNC was, read his stuff (love his Atlantic stuff, haven't gotten to his books yet) and got even more excited. This was a black dude who makes his living writing about race stuff. I had dreams of sugar plums and T'challa kicking ass of those who dared threatened him or Wakanda.

I was on cloud 59... read some interviews that knocked me to cloud 27 but still, hype as fuck. Ultimates #1 got me more hyped because it felt like the King was back.

Two issues and 4 solicits in, I feel like the cloud evaporated, I fell to the ground, got hit int he head with a rock by some Vibranium miners, and then Goon Slammed by Gary while Barry sits back and scolds me and calls me a fool.

sigh... oh well

Has Black Panther showed up in Avengers Assemble yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Damn... Coates out here cookin up a masterpiece!

But hey, if we're still in the 45-55k range by then... Coates wins the internet and I was clearly out of touch with what type of foot forward BP needed to capture the hearts (and wallets) of the masses.
    Could be the story itslef (not taking into T'Challa or Wakanda) that is drawing people in. I think there are people who are familiar with his work that are expecting a good ending, there are people who are probably drawn to the story itself, or the ones that like Stories where the Hero has to rise against mounting odds and the wins are hard fought and requiring the hero to claw for every inch, and then there are the ones who are drawn because its BP and they are hoping that they aren't going to get burned over choosing to follow their favorite hero