BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Biggest problem is that everyone changes out Bp's supporting cast like an etch o sketch. you can't keep doing that if there is to be any sort of consistency with the character. Shuri should come back, the MU needs more women of color in their mix and one that stands on her own as a monarch is pretty awesome. Sure she wasn't the greatest to start but she matured into a really cool character in Hickman's run (one of the few good things he did in relation to Wakanda) and made her stand out on her own. If she doesn't come back in the ANAD MU then it will be highly disappointing
    I'd like to believe that David Liss really followed through on developing Shuri as a character during the Kingpin of Wakanda arc of Black Panther:Most Dangerous Man Alive run.

David Liss wrote both siblings totally in synch with each other without sacrificing either characters core characteristics and for that, I'll always be grateful for Liss's sterling contribution to the BP mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Funny how the writer of the best selling Black Panther book of all time gets written off whilst Maberry, the Doomwar/Klaws of the Black Panther scribe doesn't catch even a fraction of the flack that Hudlin did.
    Not a single person in here likes Doom War (at least how it ended) and on one likes Klaws. Everyone consistently states Mayberry and Roy wrote terrible Black Panther stories. They are so bad that no one even bothers talking about them because there is no debating it. They sucked. Not much fo a discussion though

Hudlin is more polarizing, hence why he gets brought up more.

Why do you have such a victim complex with Hudlin?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Not a single person in here likes Doom War (at least how it ended) and on one likes Klaws. Everyone consistently states Mayberry and Roy wrote terrible Black Panther stories. They are so bad that no one even bothers talking about them because there is no debating it. They sucked. Not much fo a discussion though

Hudlin is more polarizing, hence why he gets brought up more.

Why do you have such a victim complex with Hudlin?
    Talk about the characters and not about me.

You speak as if you're familiar with everyone's opinion of Shuri as a character whilst failing to realise that harping on about the supposed lack of interest in Shuri as a character by some readers opposed to anyone but T'Challa on the throne of Wakanda, said more about their disdain for some female characters than anything else.

Shuri more than held her own as a character in The Deadliest of the species BP run and (ironically) Hickman's New Avengers.

Hudlin expanded T'Challa's supporting cast with Shuri in much the same way as was the case when Priest did the same with Queen Divine Justice and the White Wolf and let's not forget that David Liss followed through with the introduction of Sofija as another supporting character who was relegated to limbo status whn Marvel decided to crash and burn the BP mythos via AvX.
    Shuri got a good start with the Deadliest of the species arc. It's the power arc and Doomwar that slowed things down for her, imo. Then came klaws of the panther.

Still haven't read the Liss run, but based on some scans, it has some good moments.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    Shuri got a good start with the Deadliest of the species arc. It's the power arc and Doomwar that slowed things down for her, imo. Then came klaws of the panther.

Still haven't read the Liss run, but based on some scans, it has some good moments.
    Coming soon after Maberry's Doomwar, the premise for David Liss's Black Panther: Man Without Fear really didn't appeal to me, but over a period of time, I decided to give Liss's take on T'Challa a chance.

This was really down to the fact that unlike some others, David Liss actually took the time out to address BP fans concerns in the pre reboot CBR.

His more interactive approach and genuinely positive attitude endeared him to me and as time went on I began to enjoy what he was doing with T'Challa and his supporting cast. (old and new)

I can guarantee that you won't be dissapointed by David Liss's highly entertaining Black Panther run.

Coming soon after Maberry's Doomwar, the premise for David Liss's Black Panther: Man Without Fear really didn't appeal to me, but over a period of time, I decided to give Liss's take on T'Challa a chance.

This was really down to the fact that unlike some others, David Liss actually took the time out to address BP fans concerns in the pre reboot CBR.

His more interactive approach and genuinely positive attitude endeared him to me and as time went on I began to enjoy what he was doing with T'Challa and his supporting cast. (old and new)

I can guarantee that you won't be dissapointed by David Liss's highly entertaining Black Panther run.
    Yea, its the premise that usually throws me off, but I've probably read much worse, lol. I'll give it a try.

BANNED

Yea, its the premise that usually throws me off, but I've probably read much worse, lol. I'll give it a try.
    Let me know what you think when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Biggest problem is that everyone changes out Bp's supporting cast like an etch o sketch. you can't keep doing that if there is to be any sort of consistency with the character. Shuri should come back, the MU needs more women of color in their mix and one that stands on her own as a monarch is pretty awesome. Sure she wasn't the greatest to start but she matured into a really cool character in Hickman's run (one of the few good things he did in relation to Wakanda) and made her stand out on her own. If she doesn't come back in the ANAD MU then it will be highly disappointing
    Completely agree.

I think that also hurt Shuri during the Power arc. I feel she would've been complemented a lot better if she was surrounded by the traditional supporting cast (W'Kabi, S'yan, Zuri, etc). Instead she was surrounded by new people, while Storm and Ramonda were stuck in Wakanda the entire time. And we haven't seen those new guys since.

It's that type of inconsistency that the BP mythos really needs to get rid of.

Astonishing Member

I would recommend just the last arc. Its the only ine where TChalla seems like the Black Panther....IMHO.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    I would recommend just the last arc. Its the only ine where TChalla seems like the Black Panther....IMHO.
    Taken as whole package, the entire David Liss run works like a charm but I do agree that the Most Dangerous Man Alive arc really has T'Challa firing on all cylinders like a boss.

Astonishing Member

Taken as whole package, the entire David Liss run works like a charm but I do agree that the Most Dangerous Man Alive arc really has T'Challa firing on all cylinders like a boss.
    The last arc stands head and shoulders above the rest and you really dont need a lot coming in. Its reader friendly.

Astonishing Member

Yea, its the premise that usually throThe premise ws me off, but I've probably read much worse, lol. I'll give it a try.
    I am not a fan of the majority of it because of the premise.It was executed well by Liss but its just not my Panther. I would highly recommend his Mystery Men book.

Completely agree.

I think that also hurt Shuri during the Power arc. I feel she would've been complemented a lot better if she was surrounded by the traditional supporting cast (W'Kabi, S'yan, Zuri, etc). Instead she was surrounded by new people, while Storm and Ramonda were stuck in Wakanda the entire time. And we haven't seen those new guys since.

It's that type of inconsistency that the BP mythos really needs to get rid of.
    Mayberry destroyed 3 supporting characters from The BP mythos... Then Shuri from Hickmans run ontop of just putting others in Limbo, it doesn't allow growth of the characters and there are alot of great characters to use. All of which can fit in different roles and add a ton of depth to the mythos, they can have Wakanda youth, they can explore the Dora's and the hatut zeraze.. So much potential thats not being used

Funny how the writer of the best selling Black Panther book of all time gets written off whilst Maberry, the Doomwar/Klaws of the Black Panther scribe doesn't catch even a fraction of the flack that Hudlin did.
    It actually makes sense to me. Hudlin's sold very well so it's much easier to pick apart because much more people have it as a frame of reference. Even on the Wikipedia page for Black Panther they have it listed with some reviews. It also has the distinction of containing a lot of the moments haters love to bring up whenever they try to make their argument that Black Panther is a shitty character and a Mary Sue (I fucking hate that term by the way).

By contrast, I don't think enough people read Klaws of the Panther or Doomwar to have strong opinions about them. Shuri isn't well liked among Black Panther fans and outside of the core fanbase, the people who don't dislike her probably don't care about her one way or another. She wasn't pushed or integrated into the Marvel Universe effectively like a lot of the more recent new female heroes, so she probably doesn't register to many people. I don't remember her getting much crossover play outside of a guest spot in The Defenders and an issue of Mark Waid's Daredevil.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It actually makes sense to me. Hudlin's sold very well so it's much easier to pick apart because much more people have it as a frame of reference. Even on the Wikipedia page for Black Panther they have it listed with some reviews. It also has the distinction of containing a lot of the moments haters love to bring up whenever they try to make their argument that Black Panther is a shitty character and a Mary Sue (I fucking hate that term by the way).

By contrast, I don't think enough people read Klaws of the Panther or Doomwar to have strong opinions about them. Shuri isn't well liked among Black Panther fans and outside of the core fanbase, the people who don't dislike her probably don't care about her one way or another. She wasn't pushed or integrated into the Marvel Universe effectively like a lot of the more recent new female heroes, so she probably doesn't register to many people. I don't remember her getting much crossover play outside of a guest spot in The Defenders and an issue of Mark Waid's Daredevil.
    And I don't think her appearance in that Daredevil issue was very flattering...
    Last edited by Frontier; 11-19-2015 at 08:49 PM.