Page 117 of 5186 FirstFirst ... 17671071131141151161171181191201211271672176171117 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 77781

Just dropped the in-laws off at the airport so what did I miss?

Oh yeah... That!

(Rant begins in 5... 4... 3... 2...1...)

Whenever someone writes the Black Panther they are on the clock... What this means is that they are asked to hit the ground running and assume certain things will not go in their favor as if they were a spy behind enemy lines!

There are pros and cons to this as it asks you to think outside the box, the circle and also the triangle and be prepared three steps in advance of what your writing peers may come up with to offset what it is that you do!

When Hickman came up with the King of The Dead concept I knew that it was a matter of time that other writers would recognize the clear opening he gave that most if not all of the "Nostalgic" themes around Black Panther could be redefined as they so pleased!

If Black Panther's powers no longer come from the heart shape herb which grows on vibranium enriched soil or that the vibranium was more of an afterthought that anyone could have all bets were off!

The "Shared" Marvel universe that so many wanted Black Panther to be a part of has a way of cannibalizing any character's special traits or uniqueness in favor of those each writer wants to boost... HECK if you want another company's character to outshine the one you are working for you can have pseudo Batman stalemate someone you claimed to be building up who needs it way more than the one you are pseudo praising!

Bast the panther god was side graded as a basement dwelling deity that could bestow new powers upon T'challa as Reed Richards stood at his side thus nullifying the need for vibranium as a useful power enhancement... In fact why Reed was there to witness this occult action has as of yet to be revealed!

I once spoke with a good friend of mine about the origins of Black Panther and whether or not it is best to say they are a nation blessed by the panther god or blessed by the presence of vibranium... At this moment neither is much of a blessing but now a convoluted fiasco!

Every super hero has an origin to explain why they are the way that they are and at this point Black Panther has too many moving parts to make a cohesive canon and continuity for who he is definitively!

Elements like his father's death that used to drive him have been replaced by Obi Wan type apparitions instead of using vibranium as a source of 10,000 years worth of recorded actions since vibranium does absorb sound and energy... I mean is it live or Memorex!

If vibaranium records things then it could very well record it's own origins from space DUH... Marvel can have that one for free btw I have more ideas in the stash!

What has happened on a subconscious psychological molecular level is that Wakanda has become someone's "Playground" so to speak for regular deconstructive updates taking it apart one brick at a time and every now and then one of those bricks are a cornerstone that upholds the entire foundation of this intellectual property!

But alas this is good... A true "Point Man" now has the ammo he needs to go all in and the evidence of why it is necessary to do what needs to be done!

Extraordinary Member

The entire nature of BP is over the top.

Stan & Jack had the guy attack the FF in his first appearance.

Don brought the serialized pain in the 1970's.

Jack made BP an adventurer with over the top stories again.

Priest brought BP back to his scheming roots, but added a whole lot of paranoia to the mix.

Geoff Johns with his John Stewart hatin' self, made full use of the Priest BP during his Avengers' run.

Hudlin & McDuffie made BP the uber-confident, bold adventurer doing over the top big things.

Liss, despite given having to write a very grounded BP, still capitalized on T'Challa intelligence with over the top MacGyver innovations.

It seems to me, BP is at his most dynamic when he is operatic, and way past over the top.

I don't need that grounded Roy Thomas BP in my life. That is the BP that caught a broke neck, and still wiped on miss thang. Houseroy, indeed, Jack.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Shuri was running around in Iron Man armor for half of Mayberry's run.

It didn't destroy Iron Man.

You guys are imposing a arbitratrarly limit on this thing.

Its like saying every story about Adamantium HAS to involve Wolverine which would be news to the dude who write stories including Ultron.
    Since when is battle armour designed and forged in Wakanda based on Stark Tech?

And as far as the Adamantium thing is concerned, Wolverine and Ultron are the two most prominent character that come to mind whenever that fictional metal is broached so whatever point you're trying to make is moot.

The argument still remains that Wakandan Vibranium is an established trope that's been firmly embedded within the foundational bedrock of the Black Panther mythos from day dot pre-Captain Marvel #5.

It's having originated from deep space millenia ago is not in dispute so I remain bemused as to why you keep speaking like heads are stating otherwise.

Extraordinary Member

You guys talk like you are following a character that doesn't have any appearances in the pike or doesn't appear regularly in a team book and isn't featured in a mini-series.

Did I crash the Captain Britain thread by mistake?
    Funny stuff, mate.

However, I am more into quality appearances rather than wallflower/jobber quantity appearances.

Look at how BP was presented in Kurt Busiek's Ultron Unlimited story against Bendis' Age of Ultron.

Quality > Quantity

Do you think DC would use a pseudo Black Panther in the same way that Marvel has used the pseudo Batman?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    Do you think DC would use a pseudo Black Panther in the same way that Marvel has used the pseudo Batman?
    Of course not.

Look how they've mishandled Mr Terrific.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    They usually don't bother using Marvel Pastiches at all other than Cap.

Extraordinary Member

Anybody else remember the American Panther freakout?

Mighty Member

I say they mention or even use vibranium as a plot [point in the GotG movie. And they can go one of two ways in Avenger 2. I am willing to wait and see, but I really have a bad taste in my mouth.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MouserGrey View Post
    I say they mention or even use vibranium as a plot [point in the GotG movie. And they can go one of two ways in Avenger 2. I am willing to wait and see, but I really have a bad taste in my mouth.
    What Marvel Studios does has very little to do with what the Comics are doing and more to do with what they think can sell (and what they have the rights to).

If they had the rights to Spider Man and the Xmen they'd be crancking out those flicks to the exclusion of all else and we aren't even having this convo.

BANNED

What Marvel Studios does has very little to do with what the Comics are doing and more to do with what they think can sell (and what they have the rights to).
    With all the changes that Bendis instituted in GOTG comic to bring it in line with the movie of the same name, I find it impossible to read your post with a straight face.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    With all the changes that Bendis instituted in GOTG comic to bring it in line with the movie of the same name, I find it impossible to read your post with a straight face.
    Yeah the movies arent following the Comics. When Bendis first took over the GotG, they wore costumes. Now they don't in line with the movie's depiction of them.

Dude Ant-Man was nowhere NEAR to having his own book but they are doing a movie on him. If they can get a Director to replace Edgar Wright.

There is a Runaways script in the can (written by Drew Pierce, the dude who wrote IM3 ). No comic.

Dr. Strange has a Director. Does he he have a comic?

Nope.

Ultimate Member

Yeah the movies arent following the Comics. When Bendis first took over the GotG, they wore costumes. Now they don't in line with the movie's depiction of them.

Dude Ant-Man was nowhere NEAR to having his own book but they are doing a movie on him. If they can get a Director to replace Edgar Wright.

There is a Runaways script in the can (written by Drew Pierce, the dude who wrote IM3 ). No comic.

Nope.
    Key item-not yet.

Part of the reason you saw those changes in GOTG comic is because what happens (at least with the book stores in my city) ANYTHING that looks like the movie version of whatever gets ordered.

That's why you saw The Avengers Falcon trade and why it's hard to find now. That's all it is. It's the same with what Dc did with Arrow. I didn't see Green Arrow trades before that show in my library. Now I do.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Key item-not yet.

Part of the reason you saw those changes in GOTG comic is because what happens (at least with the book stores in my city) ANYTHING that looks like the movie version of whatever gets ordered.

That's why you saw The Avengers Falcon trade and why it's hard to find now. That's all it is. It's the same with what Dc did with Arrow. I didn't see Green Arrow trades before that show in my library. Now I do.
    Marvel Studios wanted something that was like Farscape/Firefly.

So now the Comics match that.

Just like when Bendis finally added Green Hulk to the Avengers. Because the dudes from Marketing told him to make it more like the movies.

Movies shape the comics.

Dudes are arguing the opposite.

BANNED

Nope.
    And your point is?

All the changes Bendis engineered in the GOTG comic as far as cast and characterization, took place in the comic before the movie. (which i yet to be released)

The obvious change in Star Lord's attire is the main thing that's been inspired by the movie iteration.

And as far as Dr Strange not having a Director despite not having a comic book presently in circulation, he's still better off than T'Challa who's languishing in developmental limbo whilst all of his signature tropes are being palmed off to other character and franchises.

Next.