Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    What exactly is the argument here? That Wakandans shouldn't go into space / set up a space colony or station? And if so, why not? A Deep Space Nine-type spinoff (Deep Space Wakanda?) would be awesome.
    I think the argument is more why would they decide to leave Wakanda to live in outer space? Doesn't appear to be a need for them to leave Wakanda to live in space, nor does there appear any particular desire for them to do so. I think one if not both of those would be necessarily to justify it, given the tremendous cost and risk involved.

I can think of practical reasons for small space stations to exist... but not a million person colony just for the heck of it.

Astonishing Member

What exactly is the argument here? That Wakandans shouldn't go into space / set up a space colony or station? And if so, why not? A Deep Space Nine-type spinoff (Deep Space Wakanda?) would be awesome.
    No one is saying Wakanda shouldn't go into space iirc. We're debating whether they would go out of their way to construct big colonies with potentially hundreds of thousands of people (or more) rather than many stations/bases/checkpoints throughout the galaxy. Everyone agrees that Wakanda should have stories in space to reflect their advancement compared to other countries and highlight T'Challa's intelligence. It's just a matter of scale, tbh. There's plenty of stories to tell either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I'm confident it won't happen either way since I'm doubtful Coates will write a story where Wakandans colonize space. But I can't think of a people with more pride of country than Wakandans. I don't see them as the type to think "I want to live somewhere else." That's still the part I don't follow.
    I suppose it's possible that some of the less mainstream tribes might be less pro-Wakandan and willing to live somewhere else. The Jabari for example... though they're also far less likely to want to get in a rocket ship and live in outer space.

But maybe there's a story in there somewhere. Like maybe Killmonger organizes a group of Wakandans to exodus Wakanda and for their own colony in space somewhere. Sort of like what Magneto does with Avalon and Asteroid M or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think the argument is more why would they decide to leave Wakanda to live in outer space? Doesn't appear to be a need for them to leave Wakanda to live in space, nor does there appear any particular desire for them to do so. I think one if not both of those would be necessarily to justify it, given the tremendous cost and risk involved.

I can think of practical reasons for small space stations to exist... but not a million person colony just for the heck of it.
    Looking over the thread I can't find anyone arguing in favor of having ties in space INSTEAD of living in Wakanda, but in ADDITION to living in Wakanda. In fact looks like that distinction has been pointed out a few times. To that end why not have Wakanda/Wakandans with fingers in multiple pies? Wakanda will still exist and flourish and even be better with space stations/explorations.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    No one is saying Wakanda shouldn't go into space iirc. We're debating whether they would go out of their way to construct big colonies with potentially hundreds of thousands of people (or more) rather than many stations/bases/checkpoints throughout the galaxy. Everyone agrees that Wakanda should have stories in space to reflect their advancement compared to other countries and highlight T'Challa's intelligence. It's just a matter of scale, tbh. There's plenty of stories to tell either way.
    Ok so I missed the person who said the majority of Wakanda should go and establish these outer space settlements. Whoever you are, assuming they're not imaginary, shame on you! Seriously less than 5% agreeing to this while the vast majority stays on Earth in Wakanda, makes sense to me.

Looking over the thread I can't find anyone arguing in favor of having ties in space INSTEAD of living in Wakanda, but in ADDITION to living in Wakanda. In fact looks like that distinction has been pointed out a few times. To that end why not have Wakanda/Wakandans with fingers in multiple pies? Wakanda will still exist and flourish and even be better with space stations/explorations.
    I don't think this is an all or nothing sort of thing.

I think everyone agrees space exploration is fine. I think most if not all of us can see the practical usefulness of some space stations. But when you get into the issue of creatining colonies in the thousands or even millions, the question sort of becomes "why." Taking into considering the resources needed and the risks involved, is it worth it just so thousands of Wakandans can have another place to hang besides Wakanda? That's where I think a bit more justification is needed to get from point A to point B.

I think everyone agrees space exploration is fine. I think most if not all of us can see the practical usefulness of some space stations. But when you get into the issue of creatining colonies in the thousands or even millions, the question sort of becomes "why." Taking into considering the resources needed and the risks involved, is it worth it just so thousands of Wakandans can have another place to hang besides Wakanda? That's where I think a bit more justification is needed to get from point A to point B.
    So you would agree with the Vulcans that humans need not leave the established systems because its too dangerous and risky.(Enterprise TV show if you haven't seen it)
    Last edited by Cville; 08-01-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    So you would agree with the Vulcans that humans need not leave there solar system because its too dangerous and risky.(Enterprise TV show if you haven't seen it)
    Again, there's a difference between exploring and colonization.

If in the Enterprise time period they decided to have 92% of earths population live on another planet just for the heck of it, I'd probably argue that was a bad idea too.

If in the Enterprise time period they decided to have 92% of earths population live on another planet just for the heck of it, I'd probably argue that was a bad idea too.
    Six million is not six billion. If Wakanda discovered five planets and colonized each with a million leaving a million on earth and established trade routes between each one, I don't see the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Six million is not six billion. If Wakanda discovered five planets and colonized each with a million leaving a million on earth and established trade routes between each one, I don't see the problem.
    If 90% of the population of Wakanda would choose not to live there, what does that say about Wakanda?

If 90% of the population of Wakanda would choose not to live there, what does that say about Wakanda?
    We're a better civilization than everyone else on the planet and got tired of their BS?

Astonishing Member

I don't think there's any push back on the idea of exploration. Again, I think the questionable aspect is the idea of them deciding to colonize in outer space. Colonization and exploration arent' the same thing.

Wakanda, as far as I can tell, hasn't shown a whole lot of interest in expanding outside of Wakanda when they obviously could have. If they're not even willing to colonize outside of it's borders, then I'm not sure why one would assume they would suddenly want to leave Wakanda in large numbers and live in outer space.
    Space exploration isn't advanced in the Marvel universe. It's near pedestrian. The MU teams with alien life. Wakandan science should be about bigger things. A field that would make sense for Wakandan science to me is to evolve themselves to Super Soldier level . This is a warrior nation with an isolationist history. The drive for self improvement would be high.

Not saying that Wakanda would never have a space program, but I see them achieving like this a century ago.

BANNED

This thread amuses me to no end sometimes.

Wakanda us the most technologically and spiritually advanced nation on MU earth so there's absolutely no reason why they wouldn't be interested in turning their eyes to space exploration, discovery and colonization of planets within and beyond our solar system.

We're talking about a fictional comicbook universe where all kinds of incredible things can and have happened and some choose to stay stuck on the mundane.

The level of cognitive dissonance is astounding to say the least.

Black Panther's mythos is full of so much rich texture and unexplored territory that begs to be delved into in more depth.

Why there's so much pushback against this is beyond me to be frank.

Ultimate Member

It might be lets get away from Rape Camps that suddenly popped up and leave before the X-Men get the kingdom Katrina again.

A city with educated black men seem to intimidate them as Prodigy * Eli Bradley will tell you.

Yet:

...so what are you saying exactly? Or rather I should ask where in the world are you getting this huge percentage from? Why would the majority of Wakandans leave for colonization (90%!?) as opposed to 5% or less? Where is that number coming from?